$10 NLHE 6-max: Villain shoves flop , i flopped middle set

E

Explosive808

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5 at table.This was my first hand at the table.
Pre flop : Hero - pocket 7s in MP(100bb deep)
Villain - button(70 bb deep)

Folds to hero in MP , Hero raises to $0.40.
Button calls.Sb folds.BB calls.Rest folds.3 way to the flop.

Flop : 2h7s8s

BB checks.
Hero raises to 3/4 pot(was around $1.50)
Buttons jams all in for 64 bb($6,40)
Bb folds.

Hero ends up calling with middle set and Villain rivers a straight flush 5s-9s holding 6s9s.

Did i make the right choice raising the flop to get folds from draws?Should i be calling the shove?

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well played.
and make note on villain

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100% call the shove everytime.
You win in this situation here in the long run so just short term variance here

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 at table.This was my first hand at the table.
Pre flop : Hero - pocket 7s in MP(100bb deep)
Villain - button(70 bb deep)

Folds to hero in MP , Hero raises to $0.40.
Button calls.Sb folds.BB calls.Rest folds.3 way to the flop.

Flop : 2h7s8s

BB checks.
Hero raises to 3/4 pot(was around $1.50)
Buttons jams all in for 64 bb($6,40)
Bb folds.

Hero ends up calling with middle set and Villain rivers a straight flush 5s-9s holding 6s9s.

Did i make the right choice raising the flop to get folds from draws?Should i be calling the shove?

If the villain showed you his hole cards then would you call his shove?

I think so.

Even if he hit his straight or flush then you still have full-house and quads as outs.

I'm calling here every time.

Good luck !

E

Explosive808

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies guys , just wanted to make sure betting was the right option here.

My mouth dropped when the final card gave him the straight flush.online poker at its finest 🙂

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes and yes. I like raising middle pairs preflop. It allows Hero to bluff sometimes when high cards hit. As played, on the flop, Hero is losing to 88, and racing against flush draws. The question is, "What kind of hands call a raise in position and then re-raise all in on this flop?" AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AKs maybe, flush draws maybe, and 88 maybe.

There are only 3 combos of 88 and 6 combos each of the big pairs. Slam dunk call, IMHO. As played I mark down the Villain as a fish for calling a raise with 96s. Even on the button that was a bad call in the long run.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
He had a lot of outs beyond the 5s. Still a profitable call mathematically.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for the replies guys , just wanted to make sure betting was the right option here.

My mouth dropped when the final card gave him the straight flush.Online poker at its finest 🙂

It's 'any' poker tbh... suggesting it has something to do with it being 'Online poker' is a huge waste of time in the thinking dept.
Also, if you're actually EVER considering folding here in this spot, then it's either time to pack it up, put the cards away and start playing checkers, OR get the books out & start studying.... maybe move down in limits (seriously this is as basic of a spot as you can get & if you're needing to ask advice on it, I think you're going to get OWNED while playing 10nl online).... or get ready to make a continuous series of deposits.
OR.. perhaps you KNOW this is a SNAP CALL all day, every day and are merely posting for attention ("look at my badbeat.... wahhhhh").
On the bright side... it's only UP from here.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Trying to get folds from draws" - ??? You want the draws to continue, you are AHEAD of draws. They only get there a small percentage of the time.