$10 NLHE 6-max: TPGK BTN vs BB, 4 to flush on board. Turn hand into bluff?

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem 0.25(BB)
SB ($20.01) [VPIP: 55.6% | PFR: 33.3% | AGG: 57.1% | hands: 9]
BB ($40.88) [VPIP: 31.6% | PFR: 24.4% | AGG: 33.3% | Flop Agg: 44% | Turn Agg: 22.2% | River Agg: 27.3% | 3-Bet: 8.6% | 4-Bet: 12.5% | Cold Call: 17.2% | Hands: 245]
HERO ($25) [VPIP: 25.4% | PFR: 21% | AGG: 32.3% | Flop Agg: 40.3% | Turn Agg: 28.1% | River Agg: 19.7% | 3-Bet: 6% | 4-Bet: 10.2% | Hands: 51764]

Dealt to Hero: A 9

HERO Raises To $0.65, SB Folds, BB Calls $0.40

Hero SPR on Flop: [17.39 effective]
Flop ($1.40): K A 4
BB Checks, HERO Bets $0.89 (Rem. Stack: $23.46), BB Calls $0.89 (Rem. Stack: $39.34)

Turn ($3.18): K A 4 2
BB Checks, HERO Checks

River ($3.18): K A 4 2 2
BB Bets $2.32 (Rem. Stack: $37.02), HERO Calls $2.32 (Rem. Stack: $21.14)

Villains fold to flop cbet is about 50% over 245 hands so I decided to get some value from weaker pairs, weaker aces, and FDs/SDs. When the turn comes I felt a check was ok so the hands I beat are still in his range when we get to the river and the pot stays small. The river is a brick and villain bets giving be 1 to 2.4 pot odds. On the river, I think his betting range is something like

[A7s-A5s,A3s-A2s,KTs-K5s,QTs+,JTs,74s,64s,54s,43s,Qh9h,Jh9h,Th9h,Qh8h,Jh8h,Th8h,Qh7h,Jh7h,Th7h,Qh6h,A5o,A3o,AdJh,AsJh,AcJh,AdTh,AsTh,AcTh,KdQh,KsQh,KcQh,KdJh,KsJh,KcJh,KdTh,KsTh,KcTh,QdJh,QhJd,QhJs,QhJc,QsJh,QcJh,QhTd,QhTs,QhTc,Qh9d,Qh9s,Qh9c,JhTd,JhTs,JhTc,Jh9d,Jh9s,Jh9c]

which gives me about 33% equity, enough to make this call.

However, I'm not sure if this is a great line. I'm wondering if I should have just bet/folding maybe <Half pot with a plan to check/fold river, thoughts?

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Looks like this is a 25nl hand btw!

I'm no expert on mono boards, but it does look like there is some potential for a bluff. Wouldn't your strong Qh combos check the flop? (AQ, KQ, QJs?) If that's the case your bet flop- check turn range is QJo-Q8o with Qh.

With this line you'd have to raise the river to $8+ to see some folds. Personally I don't think A9 is good enough to call that riv for SDV, so it might be worthwhile to bluff.

I look forward to hearing from some more experienced players :)

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like this type of play, with so many cards of the same suit on the table, it is difficult to read properly, most players will fold bad hands, maybe they will hold some aces and some K or another pair, and in some situations flushdraw or straightdraw.

In this situation I would not calculate in the same way as you, I believe that at best you will be drawing with the opponent, and with a great possibility of losing, and I do not consider it a good move to try to pay only for tie, or you need to bluff in the expectation of win the hand, or folding and saving chips, I would only pay if I was playing MTT or SNG, I prefer to take another action at cashgames.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like this is a 25nl hand btw!

I'm no expert on mono boards, but it does look like there is some potential for a bluff. Wouldn't your strong Qh combos check the flop? (AQ, KQ, QJs?) If that's the case your bet flop- check turn range is QJo-Q8o with Qh.

With this line you'd have to raise the river to $8+ to see some folds. Personally I don't think A9 is good enough to call that riv for SDV, so it might be worthwhile to bluff.

I look forward to hearing from some more experienced players :)
oh sorry I should've clarified, I meant, should I have bet/fold turn, not river

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think this is a good way to squeeze out middle pairs, small pairs, kings, maybe aces. But this will only work if he has no hearts. The thing is, both the ace of hearts and the king of hearts are already on the board, and he will draw his small flush with his 8h-8d before showdown. But if he does not have hearts, he will fall on your pressure, and this action will add an aggressive image to you. And if he calls, you will almost always have a free showdown on almost any river card unless the villain has a flush.

Full Flush Poker Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands