$10 NLHE 6-max: Too loose or a good bluff opportunity?

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another hand, too loose or a good bluff opportunity?
Can't quite remember the players, but I think it was a fairly tight table.

folds to us
(13.81$)Hero MP Jc Jd: bets 0.25$
CO folds
BTN (11.42$) Calls 0.25$
SB (5.81 $) Calls 0.25$
BB Folds

Flop (0.85€) 8d As 10h
SB Checks
Hero Checks
BTN Checks

Turn (0.85€) 8d As 10h Qd
SB Checks
Hero Checks
BTN Raises 0.52$
SB Calls 0.52€
Hero reraises 2.10$
BTN Calls
Sb folds

River (5.59€) 8d As 10h Qd 6d
Hero (11.71$)
Villain (9.06$)
What should hero do here?

So my Jacks blocks the straight and contains the jack of diamond. Now, BTN calls PF, checks the flop, raises and cold calls the turn. I think most aces would raise on this small, especially in position, maybe a few A10, A8 would not, but most would like a bit of protection there, but other than that we cannot account for the ace of diamond, so the flush combo could very well be in his range. He would most like check any two broadway cards, and all medium pairs containing a 10. He has a few KJ combos in his range. So his checking range is pretty broad on this flop especially since I block one of the two open enders that he could have flopped.

The turn card brings the flush draw, which most would raise, but most Ax's would probably have raised on the btn for protection, so it feels fairly inconsistent to check the flop and bet the turn. Q10 hits a two pair, so a Q10 would raise and call the turn for sure. AQ is unlikely but could be. K10 maybe calls. Q9 perhaps, same for 109o, J10o. All sorts of suited and gapped connectors, 56s, 76s, 109s, 97s, 75s. The river card 6d however blocks a lot of the suited and gapped connectors.

I feel like his range here consists of a large amount of hands that should fold to river bet, making this a good spot, but would like to hear your opinion. The turn reraise is arguably the worst part of this hand :D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont mind this bluff, and I think, you have to follow through with a second barrel on the river. Sometimes people get to hung up on blockers, but here I feel, they matter, since you block a lot of the straights and a few flushes as well. Its also credible, that you could have KJ and play it like this, and they probably did not flop very strong, when BTN check behind, and SB check again on the turn. So sets and two pair are discounted.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think raise on turn is ok. There is a lot of weak aces in their ranges, which they tend to continue. So way ahead / way behind. Check/call is norm.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a lot of weak aces in their ranges, which they tend to continue.

But dont you think, we can get a lot of those hands to fold on the river? It is 10NL not 2NL, so most players should be aware, that top pair is not exactly the nuts on a board with many possible straights and flushes. Check-calling with our dubble gutshot is a viable alternative though.

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Checking the flop and raising the turn...
I think most top pairs raise the flop, especially weak top pairs.
Some flopped two pairs miiight check, and stronger holdings such as 10s or Aces would for sure reraise pf, so only set he can have is 88, which is also often a reraise pf.

For the check flop, raise turn line i think his holding is something like Q10, KQ, K9, 109, J10, and seldom A10, A8, maybe a few suited connectors and gappers. I think Q10, J10, QJ, 10J, Q8 calls and KQ, K9, 109 folds. But most if not all fold to the river bet. Only mayyybe two pairs can call, but even those could be inclined to fold.

I think check calling is good on the turn, but I don't hate check raising to be honest.

Last edited:
Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But dont you think, we can get a lot of those hands to fold on the river? It is 10NL not 2NL, so most players should be aware, that top pair is not exactly the nuts on a board with many possible straights and flushes. Check-calling with our dubble gutshot is a viable alternative though.

I wrote check/call not check/raise.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The turn card brings the flush draw, which most would raise, but most Ax's would probably have raised on the btn for protection, so it feels fairly inconsistent to check the flop and bet the turn. Q10 hits a two pair, so a Q10 would raise and call the turn for sure. AQ is unlikely but could be. K10 maybe calls. Q9 perhaps, same for 109o, J10o. All sorts of suited and gapped connectors, 56s, 76s, 109s, 97s, 75s. The river card 6d however blocks a lot of the suited and gapped connectors.

I feel like his range here consists of a large amount of hands that should fold to river bet, making this a good spot, but would like to hear your opinion. The turn reraise is arguably the worst part of this hand :D

I think you're right as far as combos that call your turn X/raise. I agree that weaker AX isn't calling an X/raise, so it's more likely a combo draw like KTdd or a weaker 2 pair like A8. Did you see any showdowns from this player before? It would help to know how light the villain is calling at showdown. Overall the range you're X/raise is repping should be stronger than the combos he's calling with so I like the river bluff.

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sadly I can't see any info on players in hand history, so I can't reaaally say, but I remember thinking it was a fairly tight and passive table, but its honestly too many days ago at this point

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played. After it checks through on the flop Id be looking to check raise and put pressure on Qx and KK