$10 NLHE 6-max: Should you call straight draw against reg?

S

Samplz22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 4 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/7aDgdNn

UTG: $15.04 (150 bb)
BU: $10.00 (100 bb)
SB: $11.67 (117 bb)
BB (Hero): $14.95 (150 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with T♠ J♠
UTG raises to $0.25, BTN calls $0.25, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.80) 2♥ 9♠ K♣ (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.52, BTN calls $0.52, Hero calls $0.52

Turn: ($2.36) Q♦ (3 players)
Hero bets $0.77, UTG calls $0.77, BTN raises to $2.81, Hero raises to $14.18 (all-in), UTG folds, BTN calls $6.42 (all-in)

River: ($21.59) 3♣ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $21.59 (Rake: $1.07)

Showdown:
BB (Hero) shows T♠ J♠ (a straight, Nine to King)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 45%, Flop: 20%, Turn: 91%, River: 100%)

BU shows K♥ 9♥ (two pair, Kings and Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 55%, Flop: 80%, Turn: 9%, River: 0%)

BB (Hero) wins $20.52

P

pandapower99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an easy call on the flop. The only mistake is you should never bet out like that when you hit. Give your opponents a chance to bet again and you can raise them and get more money in the pot. You were lucky here one of them had a decent hand but it wont always be like that. Other than that its fine.

Im guessing one of the villains abused you in chatbox for calling with a gutshot ?

Fools

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre seems standard. I guess we get priced in when BTN calls on the flop but it's a very marginal call. If there was no spade I would definitely fold. We can probably continue on spade turns or an 8 or of course our Q so the call isn't terrible but all the times we miss will add up fast and even when we hit we aren't guaranteed to get stacks in, they could just fold. But being OOP it will be harder to realize our equity if we hit and if V polarizes the turn bet we may still have to fold a flush draw plus gut shot hand unless BTN prices us in again. Turn I don't mind the small 1/3 bet that ensures it wont check through and can induce a raise as it did here. We can also x/r. I don't like the 3 bet though. V has much less than a pot sized bet left if we just flat his raise and we may get UTG to come along and pick up two pair or a set as well. We can then put them both all in OTR and BTN will still pay us off. If there was a flush draw to charge I'd be more on board with 3 betting turn but most of the time they wont be strong enough to continue and we will lose value from both UTG and BTN.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre is fine IMO.

Flop is the decision. If we thought V was bluffing, or had any sort of (accurate) read he was just c-betting air, we could check raise the flop. If there is no perceived fold equity, perhaps we could call.

The problem is getting paid if we hit.... If our opponents aren't strong, how can we get money into the pot out of position vs them? IMO don't listen to the guy who suggested checking the turn (sorry buddy). I like that hero donked the turn, we should be doing that. We don't want this checking through. We check-called a long shot on the flop, we Shouldn't be checking the turn to possibly make zero money.

However, the other guy calling complicates things more when we're on the flop. We can't really check raise and we're really only playing to hit a super duper unlikely draw. This is probably sketchy long term making calls like this. The draws like these hardly ever come in, and lots of times we don't get paid (-ev).

I think we should have just called the turn raise and then donk the river, we risk blowing V off their hand(s) by 3-bet jamming here.

My official advice, these are fun when they hit and some poor dude has 2p, but they rarely hit, and they probably lose money long term. I think it's more viable to bluff and check raise these spots if we have some fold equity (probably not this time maybe a different spot) and they're super disguised if we get called and we improve, but if we call, we'll inevitably be check-folding the turn most times.

My thoughts.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 4 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/7aDgdNn

UTG: $15.04 (150 bb)
BU: $10.00 (100 bb)
SB: $11.67 (117 bb)
BB (Hero): $14.95 (150 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with T♠ J♠
UTG raises to $0.25, BTN calls $0.25, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.80) 2♥ 9♠ K♣ (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.52, BTN calls $0.52, Hero calls $0.52

Turn: ($2.36) Q♦ (3 players)
Hero bets $0.77, UTG calls $0.77, BTN raises to $2.81, Hero raises to $14.18 (all-in), UTG folds, BTN calls $6.42 (all-in)

River: ($21.59) 3♣ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $21.59 (Rake: $1.07)

Showdown:
BB (Hero) shows T♠ J♠ (a straight, Nine to King)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 45%, Flop: 20%, Turn: 91%, River: 100%)

BU shows K♥ 9♥ (two pair, Kings and Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 55%, Flop: 80%, Turn: 9%, River: 0%)

BB (Hero) wins $20.52

What is your doubt anyway? OTF it seems we cannot fold our gutshot, but OTT we are going to fold a lot when it doesn't complete a flush draw or when the Qx doesn't hit the board.
In some cases we are going to check-raise OTF, but given that there are two players yet to speak, calling seems okay.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played. I'm against checking the turn. If the opponents have a decent hand, they will pay anyway. So we put the turn. I have no comments on any of your actions, I would have played exactly the same.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is not much to add to this.
It was a completely correct play of the hand.
You practically got the maximum value out of it :star: .

That was nice, congratulations. :cool: