$10 NLHE 6-max: Should I ever bluffcatch here?

M

Morra123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the turn we have mandatory call , can I overfold river? probably most players will give up with missed fds and strdraw.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. I opened your post, but don't see the hand history.

Please will you repost with the actual hand.

M

Morra123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I opened your post, but don't see the hand history.

Please will you repost with the actual hand.
my bad , maybe problem with the site, pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $10.00 (100 bb)
MP (Hero): $14.78 (148 bb)
CO: $11.29 (113 bb)
BU: $10.13 (101 bb)
SB: $21.08 (211 bb)
BB: $11.90 (119 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP with J Q
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.25, 1 fold, BTN 3-bets to $0.75, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.65) 6 T J (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.84, Hero calls $0.84

Turn: ($3.33) 9 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $1.69, Hero calls $1.69

River: ($6.71) 6 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $6.85 (all-in), Hero calls $6.85

Total pot: $20.41 (Rake: $0.92)

Showdown:
BU shows A A (two pair, Aces and Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 80%, Turn: 70%, River: 100%)

MP (Hero) shows J Q (two pair, Jacks and Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 20%, Turn: 30%, River: 0%)

BU wins $19.49

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should Fold in the river, the villain is consistent in telling his story from preflop up to the river.
Flop: check call is the standard but if you think your opp. is wide you can check raise to protect
Turn: Check call, to keep all his bluffs and to make the pot small against over pairs
River: Pretty clear fold in this spot, cause ALL of his bluffs like AQ AK will give up on the fiver and all of the OVER PAIRS and SETS will bet large or go all in on the river.

Almost NOBODY 3 BARREL BLUFFS in microstakes.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
You should Fold in the river, the villain is consistent in telling his story from preflop up to the river.
Flop: check call is the standard but if you think your opp. is wide you can check raise to protect
Turn: Check call, to keep all his bluffs and to make the pot small against over pairs
River: Pretty clear fold in this spot, cause ALL of his bluffs like AQ AK will give up on the fiver and all of the OVER PAIRS and SETS will bet large or go all in on the river.

Almost NOBODY 3 BARREL BLUFFS in microstakes.

I agree that a lot of players at microstakes underbluff, but still you need to look at each player individually. There are some players who bluff river too much. By default I think it is a clear call on the river with this hand. With out hand we unblock missed flush draws and we also block nut straight KQ. Our hand is actually better call than AQ. We need to call with some of our hands on the river. QJ is one of our best hands to call, since we would be raising sets and straight on previous streets, at least most of the time, and we don't have AA-QQ in our range, again, at least most of the time. If we fold QJ, then what hands do we call?

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that a lot of players at microstakes underbluff, but still you need to look at each player individually. There are some players who bluff river too much. By default I think it is a clear call on the river with this hand. With out hand we unblock missed flush draws and we also block nut straight KQ. Our hand is actually better call than AQ. We need to call with some of our hands on the river. QJ is one of our best hands to call, since we would be raising sets and straight on previous streets, at least most of the time, and we don't have AA-QQ in our range, again, at least most of the time. If we fold QJ, then what hands do we call?

I disagree with this one, I said almost nobody TRIPLE BARREL BLUFF that's very different from bluffing the river tho. Its a CLEAR fold on the river for me because, Microstakes player will mostly give up their bluffs on the river, they will not try to bluff you off your top pair. Once you called pre, flop, and turn. That's a clear indication to them that you have Jacks a lot and most of their value will bet big or go all in on the river.

Compare the bluffs vs value on that hand tho:

VALUE HANDS: Any sets, Over pairs, jacks with good kicker, straights

BLUFF HANDS: AK, AQ, Low pocket pairs and busted stairht draw

Can you now the differences??
There's so much value Hands that you cant beat

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In preflop the BTN range is quite narrow, since opener has the tightest range by default, after folding UTG.
Another reason to consider the V range tight is to observe what he wanted to achieve:
1) That the SB fold his hand and therefore eliminate the chip leader.
2) Deny pre-flop equity to BB.
The preflop call is fine with our holding. 4-bet makes sense once, when V folds a lot.
On the flop, the cbet is standard and the hero call. At this point we must think we are still ahead of some hands and certainly below of KK+.
On the turn you have a somewhat thin call, because now it is reasonable to think that a BTN will 3-bet preflop with all AJ combos, since it will be behind hero combinations MP ​​and will need to balance his range a bit.
Therefore, the times MP continues to call, he will be blocking more and more the bluffs of V and therefore, villain will have to convert more values ​​into bluffs, if he wants to arrive without fold equity on the river.
And the texture of the board does not help V too much, since when is paired, only a small part of its values ​​can be counterfeit, typical of its offensive position: specifically 9T and JT for this case.
And the semi bluffs of clubs are combined between rank V and hero, but possibly the BTN expects hero to have the less strong club combos so it's hard to imagine that V doesn't have more values ​​than bluffs in his rank.
Greetings.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the dangers of calling 3 bets with middling broadway cards is hitting top pair.

As played, I think the river has to be a fold. His range is not capped, and he can easily have what he had or KK or a less likely QQ or JJ

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold river. Pre-flop is marginal because the raise size is so small.

The reason you want to fold the river though is your opponent isn't going to double AK/AQ on this board texture often enough, and you have a Q. It's not a great spot to hero call unless your opponent is totally aggro.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips

This kind of thinking lost me a lot of money at 10nl for a long time. Another user posted his possible 'bluffs' vs his value... even if V bluffs those 100% the call is still losing OTR.

I think it is more useful to look at preflop/flop/turn... and certaily interesting to look at flop/turn and think how you play your range. Hero can be aggressive OTT since he has a likely range advantage (All 2 pair... no one has 99 here, but TT, JJ)

Hero also has KJ and AJ to call turn with. QJ is starting to look like the bottom of Heros range OTT. It has more equity than those other ones, so it may be a turn call, still a river fold.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's talk about hero's call / 4 bet range pre flop here?

I'm coming at it as a 2 and 5NL player, and I realise at 10NL we can adjust a bit. Surely a read on villain here is important though? Against a tight 3 bet range from a reg I easily find a fold here. Even vs a reg with a 5-6% 3 bet I don't like it. Against a fish, a LAG or reg with a high 3 bet I'll call sometimes. 4 bet bluff not out of the question though with no blockers hardly the best hand to do it with.

Wondering just what are some you calling with here as a range?