$10 NLHE 6-max: several hands

P

Pokerblitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$10 NLHE 6-max: several hands

Here are a few hands I played in Zoom (fast) poker on pokerstars.
I have no stats on players.

I have the feeling that I make the wrong play against the wrong people or just get unlucky in weird spots, like villain check-raising a gutshot oop and hitting it on the river.

What I mean is that I sometimes seem to play too tight, while I have the best hand (like the TT hand in this post) and ship it in the wrong spots, please give me your thoughts about the hands. Thanks :)

Because these hands happened in a 5 minute window I get tilted, because I feel that I'm constantly making the wrong decisions at the wrong time.

Hand 1:
PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

UTG: $7.75 (78 bb)
MP: $8.72 (87 bb)
CO: $8.79 (88 bb)
BU: $16.81 (168 bb)
SB: $10.15 (102 bb)
BB (Hero): $10.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with T T
2 players fold, CO calls $0.10, 1 fold, SB raises to $0.59, Hero calls $0.49, CO calls $0.49

Flop: ($1.77) 3 7 2 (3 players)
SB bets $1.03, Hero calls $1.03, CO calls $1.03

Turn: ($4.86) 5 (3 players)
SB bets $2.60, Hero calls $2.60, CO raises to $7.17 (all-in), SB calls $4.57, BB (Hero) folds

River: ($21.80) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $21.80 (Rake: $0.98)

Showdown:
CO shows 7 Q (two pair, Sevens and Twos)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 38%, Flop: 72%, Turn: 59%, River: 100%)

SB shows A J (a pair of Twos)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 62%, Flop: 28%, Turn: 41%, River: 0%)

CO wins $20.82

I fold here because I think I am beat most of the time by a set or a higher pocket pair JJ+, but in the end the fold was too tight apparently. And also, when looking at pot odds, it would be a call?

Hand 2:

UTG: $10.00 (100 bb)
MP (Hero): $24.29 (243 bb)
CO: $32.13 (321 bb)
BU: $5.10 (51 bb)
SB: $9.03 (90 bb)
BB: $11.67 (117 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP with 9 J
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, 2 players fold, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.95) J 8 5 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, CO calls $0.60, BB raises to $2, Hero calls $1.40, CO folds

Turn: ($5.55) 7 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($5.55) 9 (2 players)
BB bets $4.80, Hero calls $4.80

Total pot: $15.15 (Rake: $0.68)

Showdown:
BB shows Q T (a straight, Eight to Queen)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 64%, Flop: 25%, Turn: 14%, River: 100%)

MP (Hero) mucks 9 J (two pair, Jacks and Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 36%, Flop: 75%, Turn: 86%, River: 0%)

BB wins $14.47

The bet call on the flop is because BB has a lot of flush draw semi-bluffs in his range which I beat, on the turn I'm not sure if a bet by me would be better. On the river I expect to be ahead most of the time, expect against sets, but yea a gutshot also beats me...

Hand 3:

UTG: $10.51 (105 bb)
MP (Hero): $17.19 (172 bb)
CO: $10.27 (103 bb)
BU: $23.43 (234 bb)
SB: $16.15 (162 bb)
BB: $10.05 (101 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP with J Q
UTG raises to $0.35, Hero calls $0.35, 3 players fold, BB 3-bets to $1.70, UTG calls $1.35, Hero calls $1.35

Flop: ($5.15) Q 2 6 (3 players)
BB bets $1.48, UTG raises to $8.81 (all-in), Hero calls $8.81, BB calls $6.87 (all-in)

Turn: ($31.12) 7 (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($31.12) 3 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $31.12 (Rake: $1.40)
Showdown:
UTG shows A K (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 56%, Flop: 49%, Turn: 31%, River: 100%)

BB shows 9 J (a flush, Jack high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 17%, Flop: 2%, Turn: <1%, River: 0%)

MP (Hero) shows J Q (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 27%, Flop: 49%, Turn: 69%, River: 0%)

UTG wins $29.72

The 3bet call is loose, but I might flop decent and I'm ok with being in position in a 3 way pot. postflop I have toppair and with the 1st posted hand in my mind (folding the best hand) and setting at least one of them on a flushdraw I call the All-in.

Last edited:
G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand one. That’s a decent sized iso raise, so I understand just calling. But I’d probably 3B pre.

Ap I don’t mind the fold vs two players eager to gii. I might push flop once I see no overs. Ax is a huge part of SB’s range and we have a vulnerable pair. But once it’s x/r all in and a call I think we can fold.

The 5 is a card that can make the limp/c a lot of nutty hands.

I think mistakes were being too passive pre and on the flop, not the exploit fold when ranges in theory should be getting really strong.

As for the pot odds. We measure our equity vs a range to asses if the pot odds are right to call. In a three way pot our equity is lower than heads up. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking the two situations are the same.

It matters less when we have a draw.

Sb cb over 60% of pot multi way oop on a board that is better for callers range than his. It’s worth a note.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 2 J9o is too loose from hj for me.

Cb the flop smaller especially multiway. This flop favours callers again.

Villains x/r is pretty good, he blocks QQ, QJ and JT. Has a good over card and plenty of two pair hands on this flop. Co can’t be too strong either.

I dont think folding tp is possible though. There’s a ton of draws out there, and pot odds are good.

The turns weird! I’d get the sense villain is weak, we block the straight and picked up outs. I don’t mind the check, but we should bet here sometimes. Blocking the straight might be useful.

The river sucks. We severely capped our range but I don’t think players bluff these sizes enough. We only beat a bluff. So foldings best.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just gotta fold hand 3 after the 3B!

We’re so dominated. Your probably thinking pot odds but this is 3 way!

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 TT is just a pretty horrid spot from the get go and is an example of how difficult this hand can be to play postflop especially without any reads. There isnt much you can do other than next time 3 bet preflop. In hindsight this would have won you the hand. Its the strength of the SB hand that is unknown and is the issue because of no reads you have no idea if he can barrel the turn unimproved and you have no idea where you stand.

Hand 2 and 3 are both preflop folds. Hand 3 in particular as you are going to be dominated by AQ AJ KQ KJ and if you hit top pair you are in a world of hurt. Calling it off is terrible and clearly you were tilted.

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't want to see the result before I write my thought because I don't want to be result oriented. Hand 1, I would play the same way except that I would call instead of folding pocket 1010 here because we beat many over pairs plus Ax as well. Hand 2, I would play the same way, on the turn we have double gutter draw, on this one line river, it depends on how often he would bluff this river; but we have 2 pair and I think a call is fine. Hand 3, facing a 3bet with JQo, even we are playing online; I think it is a little loose for my standard 3bet callling range. As the hand play out, on the flop there is too much action for our JQ hand; I would fold on the flop based on the action given.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1: On the river without further info it feels like CO is large fish and SB is abusing him especially when considering his iso size. He would be stupid to mash vs fish (+mw) without a hand but he should not be nutted either over pair vs fish should be good for atw on that board even though it hurts when fish has a set.

Hand one. That’s a decent sized iso raise, so I understand just calling. But I’d probably 3B pre.

A

So we would call shove?

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1: On the river without further info it feels like CO is large fish and SB is abusing him especially when considering his iso size. He would be stupid to mash vs fish (+mw) without a hand but he should not be nutted either over pair vs fish should be good for atw on that board even though it hurts when fish has a set.

So we would call shove?

Depends on villain but battle of the blinds I’d lean to calling.

If we raise 2.15 and villain shoves we get 1.6-1 on the call, if it’s only ever QQ+, AK then we can fold.

If villain ever shoved 99 it’s a call. Vs 88+ AK, AQs it’s a snap. So some dependency on villain. But it’s blind play so I’d default to calling.

Getting called ip vs a capped range is good, scooping a 6.5bb pot is good too.

Calling and likely being oop in a bloated pot multiway makes us play very fit or fold. Hate that.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1 you can 3bet the sb with the intention of folding to a jam, you have position and will most likely fold out the limper. If everyone calls the spr will be pretty low, making you feel comfortable to get it in TT on that flop. The problem with always calling is you find yourself in your situation, playing a guessing game.

Hands 2 and 3 you need to fold preflop. Middling offsuit hands have bad reverse implied odds from early position.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 TT is just a pretty horrid spot from the get go and is an example of how difficult this hand can be to play postflop especially without any reads. There isnt much you can do other than next time 3 bet preflop. In hindsight this would have won you the hand. Its the strength of the SB hand that is unknown and is the issue because of no reads you have no idea if he can barrel the turn unimproved and you have no idea where you stand.

Hand 2 and 3 are both preflop folds. Hand 3 in particular as you are going to be dominated by AQ AJ KQ KJ and if you hit top pair you are in a world of hurt. Calling it off is terrible and clearly you were tilted.
Haven't read all the comments but agree with this one so far!
Try to post more marginal posts in the future unlike hand 1 & 2 where you had clear spots to fold. Makes more sense to call in hand 1 than the 2 hands maybe they happened in that order :)

B

BobZock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 2 and 3 Always the same, starting with a mediocre starting hand that has developed to go down the river. maybe that's why the term river comes from?

P

Pokerblitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the replies folks! :icon_boun

I'm concluding the following:

Hand 1:
Would be either a pre-flop 3bet (also to check where I'm at vs. SB (when SB 4bets I can norrow down his range and the bet might get the CO to fold). As played, just calling pre-flop, I should have bet the flop and a check-call would have been fine as well.

Hand 2:
I should have cbetted the flop smaller and should have bet the turn after villain checks. The river call was fine although villain doen't have many bluffs there and I missed opportunities on previous streets.

Can you please clarify your reply Gabe?
Villains x/r is pretty good, he blocks QQ, QJ and JT. Has a good over card and plenty of two pair hands on this flop. Co can’t be too strong either.

I really don't understand how villain is check-raising here with a gutshot, the blocking part doesn't make sense to me, although the chance for me holding a Qx hand is smaller because he is holding a Q...

Hand 3:

This should have been a fold after the 3bet.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At these levels you will see a lot of calls and raises with all sorts of hands. A lot of players are just playing for fun and don't mind loosing a few bucks whilst playing. The best way to adapt is to play tight aggressive. Be aware however that fast zoom means that they normally wont play complete garbage as they can just fold and get another hand but some might play any suited hand and any connected hand and any broad way and any pair.

Hand 1:
TT is a very good hand preflop at these levels so 3 bet it and expect to be called by lots of worse hands. On a low flop bet or check raise TT. You played TT to passive and the garbage hands they had kept betting. As played I probably also would fold on the turn as it is a multi way pot and both players are interested.

Hand 2:
Just fold preflop.
On the flop the play is interesting you bet out CO calls and BB check raises. The check raise however is not to big so I don't mind a call but still I would rather fold as there is also the CO to take into account. You call CO folds which is good for you. On the turn the BB check and you also check no comment. On the river the BB bets out and you call no comment here either you have two pair and have a good chance to win the hand.

Hand 3:
Just fold preflop.
As played would fold on the flop it is a multi-way pot and yes they can both have flush draws but it was more likely that someone had either a set or a a better Q then yours.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the replies folks! :icon_boun

I'm concluding the following:

Hand 1:
Would be either a pre-flop 3bet (also to check where I'm at vs. SB (when SB 4bets I can norrow down his range and the bet might get the CO to fold). As played, just calling pre-flop, I should have bet the flop and a check-call would have been fine as well.

Hand 2:
I should have cbetted the flop smaller and should have bet the turn after villain checks. The river call was fine although villain doen't have many bluffs there and I missed opportunities on previous streets.

Can you please clarify your reply Gabe?

I really don't understand how villain is check-raising here with a gutshot, the blocking part doesn't make sense to me, although the chance for me holding a Qx hand is smaller because he is holding a Q...

Hand 3:

This should have been a fold after the 3bet.

Well that’s one reason why it’s ok, blockers and equity and villain should have a all two pair and both bottom sets. Maybe QT with a spade is better.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands