$10 NLHE 6-max: Set mining after 3b?

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More of a general set mining or position question in this spot (so any low/middle pair works here for my question, not just 77). Not a lot of hands on either player, but MP is 42/34 over 66 hands, and CO is 25/6 over 16 hands.. so probably not much to go off of. My question is whether anyone is calling here on the button, and if the 15:1 rule is still applicable in 2020. I ended up folding, but looking back and reviewing the hand I think MP might call enough to make this profitable 3 handed.

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 84.5 BB
BB: 119.4 BB
UTG: 88.5 BB
MP: 84.5 BB
CO: 77.2 BB
Hero (BTN): 202.7 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 7 7

fold, MP raises to 2 BB, CO raises to 5 BB, Hero......

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mandatory call with that price against these opponents,imo. I would call with all of the low pairs because the initial raiser doesn't show strength by min-rairsing(if he had strong pairs he'd raise at least 3x if not 3.5) and CO seems like isolating this player with this weak 3-bet(however, some players do it with monster hands). Most likely MP will come along too and you'll have a perfect opportunity to set-main IP against loose players.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to be good one of every 5 times in this spot for your call to be profitable (20%). And with 7-7 you cover 21.6% of all possible combinations. So you're in breakeven calling here.
Greetings.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cold calling 3bet with pocket pair is not bad , if the price is good. Like here...Also you must consider possibility for 4bet from the other players. High possibility for 4bet, then you seek better price for call. The problem here is the effective stack. Only 84.5bb. And the price is not good for me. A little bit worse. With any info (for 4bet) can be diffrent.

And the pocket pair matters. 77 is not bad, not bad at all. But with 22 you must look for a better price.

P

pandapower99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
More of a general set mining or position question in this spot (so any low/middle pair works here for my question, not just 77). Not a lot of hands on either player, but MP is 42/34 over 66 hands, and CO is 25/6 over 16 hands.. so probably not much to go off of. My question is whether anyone is calling here on the button, and if the 15:1 rule is still applicable in 2020. I ended up folding, but looking back and reviewing the hand I think MP might call enough to make this profitable 3 handed.

This is only a call if your closing the action. You may call getting a good price to setmine, but MP can 4bet and then you have to fold. Cold calling 3bets is generally not a good strategy even in position getting a good price, unless your doing it to induce a 4bet, other than that its 4bet or fold, calling is just spewy as you will get 4bet alot and have to fold

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem there, and in any situation like that, is that you have no idea what the original raiser is going to do.

If you can be sure that he'll just flat the 3 bet, then calling is good. If he 4 bets, though, you're screwed and will have to fold.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Yeah, this call is fine even for the times MP decides to re-raise/4-bet preflop, whatever. :)

It is a good call because the sizing of the CO's 3-bet preflop is very friendly, which allows not only the player in the MP to come up with flatting, but also the player in the Big Blind and sometimes even a whale in the SB.
Sometimes I am calling with all of the pocket pairs, even when MP raises 3x and CO 3-bets for 3x (9 blinds), I am still flatting for the same reason.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa