Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

UTG: $10.63 (106 bb)
MP: $15.80 (158 bb)
CO: $8.32 (83 bb)
BU (Hero): $10.96 (110 bb)
SB: $12.60 (126 bb)
BB: $27.47 (275 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with Q J
1 fold, MP raises to $0.22, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.70, 2 players fold, MP 4-bets to $1.47, Hero calls $0.77

Flop: ($3.09) Q K 8 (2 players)
MP bets $0.73, Hero calls $0.73

Turn: ($4.55) 9 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($4.55) 8 (2 players)
MP bets $13.60 (all-in), BU (Hero) folds

I have no idea what I could have done differently here.

Turn: Maybe a bet here?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold preflop with QJs, when V 4-bet from MP. You block QQ; JJ and to a lesser extent: AQ and AJ. You mainly unlock: TT; KK; AA and AK. Of those hands, you only defeat 2 bluffs (TT and AK), but a micro stakes villain is unlikely to bluff you OTR with overbet. So your river fold is good. However, it is better to end the hand on the flop, since basically the small size of V is inducing raises all the time and when you simply call you don't represent anything important in this texture. You have a weak kicker to play your hand here or on the turn, in this 4-bet pot and really without more readings it is not good to assume that a standard V of 10nl is going to bluff 4-bet preflop with a hand like TT OOP.
Greetings.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Facing a 4-bet, QJ is basically a worse suited connector than for example JT, 98, 87, because you block the weaker part of villain's 4-betting range (e.g. KJs QTs AJo) so you're facing a value heavy range to begin with. On top of that villain's 4-betting range is in a very good spot against QJ specifically with it containing all the remaining AQ, AJ, QQ, and JJ combo's. If you're ever peeling with a suited connector do it with JT, 98, 87, 76 because you then almost certainly play with two live cards while still drawing to the same good stuff as QJ. If you're never 3-betting those, marginal hands that still block the top of villain's range are better calls (KJ, KQ, A5).

As played, the best you can do in this situation on this board is not make an overfolding mistake. You really don't have any business betting on a high board as the pre-flop caller even after villain checking the turn. The river is a pure bluff catch question so if you want the unexploitable answer you can calculate the MDF and see if you can call as low as middle pair. Probably an edge case because you're showing up with a lot of junk considering the action, but the river overbet allows you to fold more so I don't really know.

I guess the exploitative adjustment at NL10 is to almost fold range and only stack with something like two-pair + but I don't know this villain and if they are a good reg best stick to a solid strategy.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my previous post I mentioned that you earn up to 2 bluffs. That may seem very wrong because technically we don't beat any of those hands before the flop.
If we make an assumption and go 5-bet jam preflop. What hands of the villain can be fold? It is really questionable that someone at 10nl can fold AK with 5-bet. Maybe there are players who can do it and the same goes for TT. Since if he decided to play it aggressive, now it is unlikely that he does not want to pay us, because we could take that line with all the combos: AK.
So we are targeting a really very weak range of V. Maybe 76s and 9Ts that turned into bluffs. I'm definitely more convinced now that the best move is to fold preflop.
Assuming V has weaker connectors than ours, the hands that pay our potential raise are likely to be flush draw combos.
The next question is: could this V fold a small flush draw combo? Without having seen how this v plays, I don't think so. Therefore there is no reason to play your hand on the flop. Even on the turn, I wouldn't recommend a bet.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
OP, don't worry, you played it perfectly. Against nits you could fold preflop, but against regs or unknowns you must call with that sizing. Postflop was easy to play, you couldn't do anything differently.

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also now find the preflop fold also IP against 4bet MP better. Even if the price lures you.

Thank you all for your help.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: I would flat IP vs MP open, especially vs goofy 2.2x sizing.

As played (3bet), I guess we're priced in vs goofy min-4bet sizing.

We must note weird sizings by villain: this could be major strength tell.

F: as played, awkward spot. Another weird sizing, even for a 4bet pot, on a connected flop. I make a tight fold, but calling is ok-ish I guess, but I'm unsure because I would never find myself in this spot.

T: as played, easy check behind for pot control. We just want to see a cheap showdown.

R: classic fishy play with winning hand. Small sizings or checking result in losing value, and then trying to make up for it on the river with overbets. Easy fold.

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
see some cards before you start pressuring opponent