$10 NLHE 6-max: Playing Big Flop Passively

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(I just realized a few days ago that BOL has a free HUD, so I started using it.)

I have AdJd on BTN. Villain on UTG opens to 35c. I call. SB calls, BB folds. After 35 hands on this table at this point, I had voluntarily put money into the pot on 2 hands. I opened with one and called the other one on the btn. His preflop stats were 40/40.

I've played UTG a bunch in the past. He's very aggressive and the HUD stats bear that out. He used to min raise a lot, now 35c is his standard open from any position. He also 3bets and 4bets liberally.

Flop is 4d9dAc. SB checks UTG cbets to 0.82. I just call.

In the past I would have raised here, but the way I play now I prefer to be conservative here. Especially how I had only played 2 hands up to that point. I wanna let him keep pushing. If I push back he may fold. I also wanna keep them around in case another d hits.

SB folds.

Turn is 3c. He bets 1.32 into 2.79 pot. I call again.

Turn is 10h.

He bets 2.57 into 5.43 pot.

I call.

Would you have raised on any street here? After I just flat the flop, I can't really raise the turn or river right? I felt it was more likely than not that he had an A despite his penchant for aggression. I had been playing so tight that if I called him pre, on the flop and turn, then he must know I must have something. If he had checked the river, I would likely have bet. Since he led out, I thought just calling is best. He could very well have AK, AK, and even AT got there.
Ah2h

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would 3 bet this spot somewhat often especially being on the button but the opener being UTG would make me think about that. Also if you are correct that this player is a 4 bettor then I would have to ask myself do I want to play in a 4 bet pot with only AJ even though it is suited? I personally lean towards no so from what you are writing that this is the villain type and that this is an UTG opener (even though they are 40/40) I would just call as you did.

On the flop it again goes to your read that villain may fold here. There are players who you could play against and know they never fold here (or rarely fold as I should never say never) where we could put a raise in to sweeten the pot and make sure we have an easier time getting it in (you never mentioned effective stacks or if you did I missed it). I think calling is good though as we fear nothing on the turn and we feel this villain will keep coming at us so to me this should just be a call in this spot. Plus when we call here we give a chance for small blind to come along as well which at this point with our big draw we would want them to be in the hand.

On the turn nothing changes really except another ace wheel card hits which could be in a 40/40 players UTG opening range but it wouldnt scare me. There are enough times too where we are up against a better Ax as you mention so I like calling here as well.

River is not the best card in my opinion as now the most likely aces from villain are higher Axs like A9+ and now all of those beat us except AJ which we chop with. However, we thought villain was aggro, they played this hand like we thought they would and getting 3 to 1 I think you have to call this off. There will be times they got there on the river or we were up against AQ or AK the whole time but thats life sometimes. So river seems like a call to me but I am not fist pumping about it at this point.

To answer your raise question, I think this is a hand where like always, its villain dependent. If we dont feel villain is a barreler or aggressive then I think you could value raise the flop but you still dont have to. Even if we are checked to on the turn we are in position and have either the turn or river to make another value bet.

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd typically raise the flop but I think given your read on the player the call is a nice play here.

I'd probably have gone in with a big raise on the turn, he may just carry on with worse given so loose, he might even shove back given he's so aggressive.

Even if he calls or shoves back with better Ax or a set you've still got a reasonable amount of outs going to the river.

I think by being passive on flop and turn you have no idea where you are on the river and it's a tough spot - he's bet 3 streets with the Ace since the flop so you've got to assume he has a decent ace or 2 pair. He may have missed the flush draw but given you hold the AJ what was its not a great bluff spot for him.

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just seen the result - nice outcome and played out well for you. Agree you have to call the river as played, but you may have taken his stack with a turn re-raise inducing a shove on the turn or river

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Versus his size, and with the rake what it is on BOL, I'd 3-bet or fold preflop, even on the button. You should develop a strong flatting range versus 4-bets so that you have a clear strategy to use. If this guy is 4-betting liberally, you still will have a positional advantage that you can leverage here. AJs could even be a fine flat versus a 4-bet if V is 4-betting AQo, KQs, and A5s.

In any event, V cbets large on the flop. I'm certainly just flatting, especially since this is a large bet 3-way. If you raise, you will just get action from better hands.

The turn is strange, as V bets half pot. This starts to look like a pot-control move, especially from a aggresive opponent. In truth, V is value betting WAY too thin (I looked at the spoiler!) and you should be happy just calling him down.

River is a half pot bet too. I am reading a bit into his bet sizing, as you can tell... from most Vs, this reeks of a marginal made hand. The problem is that your hand is just a bluff catcher in this spot, as it's unlikely a worse hand is betting. Since you have hearts, you also block his most natural bluffs.

I might find a fold on that river in your shoes... I'd imagine AQ taking this line, or maybe a sheepish AK.

So, no. I don't think your hand is good enough to raise on any street. Think about what raising does... is your opponent folding better? calling with worse? I think you made the maximum given the spot.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(I just realized a few days ago that BOL has a free HUD, so I started using it.)

I have AdJd on BTN. Villain on UTG opens to 35c. I call. SB calls, BB folds. After 35 hands on this table at this point, I had voluntarily put money into the pot on 2 hands. I opened with one and called the other one on the btn. His preflop stats were 40/40.

I've played UTG a bunch in the past. He's very aggressive and the HUD stats bear that out. He used to min raise a lot, now 35c is his standard open from any position. He also 3bets and 4bets liberally.

Flop is 4d9dAc. SB checks UTG cbets to 0.82. I just call.

In the past I would have raised here, but the way I play now I prefer to be conservative here. Especially how I had only played 2 hands up to that point. I wanna let him keep pushing. If I push back he may fold. I also wanna keep them around in case another d hits.

SB folds.

Turn is 3c. He bets 1.32 into 2.79 pot. I call again.

Turn is 10h.

He bets 2.57 into 5.43 pot.

I call.

Would you have raised on any street here? After I just flat the flop, I can't really raise the turn or river right? I felt it was more likely than not that he had an A despite his penchant for aggression. I had been playing so tight that if I called him pre, on the flop and turn, then he must know I must have something. If he had checked the river, I would likely have bet. Since he led out, I thought just calling is best. He could very well have AK, AK, and even AT got there.
Ah2h

Thank you for posting.

You state V will over play hands preflop AJs IP is a very strong hand 6 handed why are we not raising this player preflop to get stacks in? Literally if they 4 bet you are 5 betting them and getting it in and they are showing you A2.
You seem afraid that you might lose a pot vs a player that will 4 bet 53. Yes you may lose a pot but this is cash rebuy and attack again. They will give you back the chips. If not today then another day- this is cash that is how it works- we keep looking for this player and play them every chance we get.

As played on the flop why conservative? This is the second time in this post you seem to be afraid to lose a pot vs a weak player. Why afraid? This is a study point for you. Mental skills for poker!

Calling as a TRAP here is fine vs many players but why vs this player?
Turn ok good card for us time to spring the TRAP and raise .......call. Are we trying to let this guy hit river make trips or 2 pair or a baby straight and then pay him off?

This player can have 54 and call turn this is not someone who folds- make them pay to see cards.

River they bet we call because the 53 guy might have AK????? So the player on the table that we sat down to take chips from just got away with playing A2 and losing the minimum.
This V gives us their stack $10 in this spot and we got $5.05 we left $5 on the table.

That is the study point for you---how to play for stacks vs weak Villains. There are lots of youtube videos to teach you to attack weak V ---taking the time to study will turbo charge your ROI.

Hope this helps
:):)