$10 NLHE 6-max: Open-ended in 3 bet pot IP

R

Rajten

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone, if you can look at my recently hand. No info on villain.

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 5 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/295GSdofaO

Player3 (UTG): $40.04 (400 bb)
Player4 (CO): $10.00 (100 bb)
Hero (BU): $15.77 (158 bb)
Player1 (SB): $11.91 (119 bb)
Player2 (BB): $21.07 (211 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero (Hero) is BTN with T♠ J♠
2 players fold, Hero (BU) raises to $0.30, Player1 (SB) 3-bets to $1, 1 fold, Hero (BU) calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.10) 8♦ 5♥ 9♣ (2 players)
Player1 (SB) bets $1.35, Hero (BU) calls $1.35

Turn: ($4.80) A♦ (2 players)
Player1 (SB) bets $2.20, Hero (BU) calls $2.20

River: ($9.20) 6♣ (2 players)
Player1 (SB) bets $2.90, Hero (BU) folds

Total pot: $9.20 (Rake: $0.46)
Player1 (SB) wins $8.74

I was consider 3 diffrent moves in this hand
1) Raise on flop, but, when he reraises me, I am unhappy but I need to call, main merit is that I can win pot instantaneously
2) Semi-bluff, raise on all in on turn, I can easly represent 2p, sets, moreover A is perfect card for him to use second barrel, but if he has it I'm not sure if he can fold some weaker aces.
3) I was also considering shove on river, but after his block bet, he seemed pot-commited, so I conceded.

What do you think generally about my hand, and my 3 ideas? All comments apreciated.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/295GSdofaO

2 players fold, Hero (BU) raises to $0.30, Player1 (SB) 3-bets to $1, 1 fold, Hero (BU) calls $0.70

Player1 (SB) wins $8.74

1) Raise on flop, but, when he reraises me, I am unhappy but I need to call, main merit is that I can win pot instantaneously
2) Semi-bluff, raise on all in on turn, I can easly represent 2p, sets, moreover A is perfect card for him to use second barrel, but if he has it I'm not sure if he can fold some weaker aces.
3) I was also considering shove on river, but after his block bet, he seemed pot-commited, so I conceded.

What do you think generally about my hand, and my 3 ideas? All comments apreciated.

You cannot raise OTF in situations like this almost never: you opened raise for 3 blinds, which is a sizing that many regulars are not using anymore.
The reason is very simple: we can be opening 50% hands from BTN and 3-betting barely 20% of hands, which is a huge ammount of combos if you plug them into the equity calculators.
Because we are opening too much, we must seek for balance and this balance comes with raises that varies from min-raise (2x, or 2 blinds) to 2.7x or 2.7 blinds at maximum.
The vast majority of the times, we are bluffing when we are from SB, BB, BTN and CO, so we must keep our eyes opened and our range/sizing balanced.
You could raise OTF if you had information that your Villain is a very good player, a real good one, capable of folding TT+ OTF: if you believe your opponent is competent enough to be folding QQ, KK and AA here, raise with no seconds thoughts, but at the micros, we don't see many of that.
Besides, we are representing just a couple of combos of 55, 88 and 99 and what this means, 3 combos?
When we do get this OESD + BDF, we can be thinking about raising OTF, even so very risky since very players have a lot of solutions for this move (like shoving OTF instead of folding).
You can represent whatever you want, the only problem is to know if you have enough equity to be bluffing here only with OESD (10-18%? Equity?), and if Villain is folding 10-18% of times here if you push, for this we must use a fold equity calculator.
We have the option to much OTT, given this is just 10 NLHE.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a difficult spot.

I think if you were out of position for the hand, playing your draw more aggressively would be better. Perhaps c/r the flop with the intention of calling a reraise.

A good thing about being in position is that it gives us more options of playing the hand. We can opt to just call his bets, knowing that if we hit our draw, our positional advantage will ensure that we don't miss a bet. The disadvantage of this approach is that sometimes we'll get to the river with air.

As played, I think your fold on the river is OK.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of the options you mention I love 3) since the texture of the board is bad enough for the villain's rank. The problem is that in micro stakes the villains do not play with ranges. They only play with absolute values.
Regarding the bet sizes chosen by the villain flop / turn / river, they are quite disproportionate and therefore not balanced. Which makes you think that this guy hardly folds a top pair in this texture. (Also V is committed to the pot).
If we review the complete sequence the villain leads in preflop with 3-bet. Then on the flop he makes a fairly strong cbet looking for the hero's fold equity, and then his continuation strength becomes reduced. In each barrel the size becomes smaller. This could be a kind of protection in higher stakes like NL1000. But here this is a sign of weakness. So it was a good river fold in my opinion.
Greetings.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
played well. but I would choose a more aggressive line either on the flop or on the turn after the ace comes out. The fact is that on the turn his bet looks weak and you can raise it to a semi-bluff.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Player1 (SB) wins $8.74

I think raising on the flop would be your best line here, maximising your fold equity I think would be a critical turning point. If he jams over the top you know you are no good. If he calls you can barrel on a fair few turn cards. Proceeding to how the actual hand turns out, when the villain downsizes the bet size like that I think he is showing a tremendous amount of weakness and showing he could be willing to fold to a shove. When you do shove you’re only in a bad bad position if villain has QQ or 99 so it’s a spot very dependant upon villains play style.