$10 NLHE 6-max: OOP QQ facing called 4-bet PF and Ace hits flop Vs. 25% 3bet villain

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$10 NLHE 6-max: OOP QQ facing called 4-bet PF and Ace hits flop Vs. 25% 3bet villain

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 22/16/0.4

Villain stats are over just 37 hands.

Aggressive Freq: 22% - PF3bet 25% (4/16)

Full Tilt - $0.10 NL RUSH (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

Hero (UTG): $14.18
MP: $11.19
CO: $7.32
BTN: $19.45
SB: $7.95
BB: $7.57

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has Q:heart: Q:club:

Hero raises to $0.30, MP raises to $0.90, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $3.00, MP calls $2.10

Flop: ($6.15, 2 players) A:heart: 5:heart: 8:diamond:
Hero bets $4.00, MP calls $4.00

Turn: ($14.15, 2 players) 5:diamond:
Hero ???

3 Questions:

1. Raise more pre? Why or why not?
2. Should we not lead flop here?
3. After calling the flop, is villain's range wide enough to justify a shove? Or is this a clear check/fold?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Raise more pre? Why or why not?
2. Should we not lead flop here?
3. After calling the flop, is villain's range wide enough to justify a shove? Or is this a clear check/fold?
1) Your 4-bet size is fine, if anything its too large. $2.30ish would be my standard 4-bet size here. But since villain is so spewy with the 3-bets, we can 4-bet larger.
2) The reason to check would be to induce bets/bluffs from worse, or to get him to be more likely to call on later streets. I probably bet the flop if I'm playing the hand. But I also 4-bet smaller, and c-bet smaller, that way I can fold later. The way you've played it, you've given yourself no option but to get all in.
3) You can't check/fold, the pot is huge in relation to your stack. If he shoves, you're getting 4.4:1. So if it goes lose, lose, win, lose, lose, you're making a profit. Plus we've already established that our opponent 3-bets super wide, so giving up against him is pretty bad.

Also, you can c-bet smaller, around 2.75 would be good. I probably bet the flop, and then shove the turn as played. You're just too committed to check/fold the turn.

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Your 4-bet size is fine, if anything its too large. $2.30ish would be my standard 4-bet size here. But since villain is so spewy with the 3-bets, we can 4-bet larger.
2) The reason to check would be to induce bets/bluffs from worse, or to get him to be more likely to call on later streets. I probably bet the flop if I'm playing the hand. But I also 4-bet smaller, and c-bet smaller, that way I can fold later. The way you've played it, you've given yourself no option but to get all in.
3) You can't check/fold, the pot is huge in relation to your stack. If he shoves, you're getting 4.4:1. So if it goes lose, lose, win, lose, lose, you're making a profit. Plus we've already established that our opponent 3-bets super wide, so giving up against him is pretty bad.

Also, you can c-bet smaller, around 2.75 would be good. I probably bet the flop, and then shove the turn as played. You're just too committed to check/fold the turn.
Why are you shoving the turn?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. So with a villain this passive (small sample I know) can we not expect him to check behind without an Ace on the turn but still call his last $4 when we shove the river?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. So with a villain this passive (small sample I know) can we not expect him to check behind without an Ace on the turn but still call his last $4 when we shove the river?
What good does that do us? The only difference then between checking and betting is that hands that we beat get a free card. Unless you're advocating a check/fold.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I don't think we can check/fold. Pot is too big relative to his stack for that like you said.

I don't know I really don't get this guy's stats at all. 25% 3bet but an AF of .4? So he's only aggro preflop and then turns into a station?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know I really don't get this guy's stats at all. 25% 3bet but an AF of .4? So he's only aggro preflop and then turns into a station?
Probably just a run of good cards. 4/16 isn't a big sample size. I'd guess he's just a bad stationy TAG who's read something about 3-betting more?

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably just a run of good cards. 4/16 isn't a big sample size. I'd guess he's just a bad stationy TAG who's read something about 3-betting more?

This is probably it -- In restrospect I think this was a bad 6-max nit/TAG that was running semi-good preflop over a few dozen hands and decided to start 3betting light with any pp/ace-broadway pf because he heard it's good to do. FWIW, I led with a shove on the turn and he turned up AJo.

I totally neglected my bet sizing in relation to stack sizes when considering my preflop 4bet, and didn't have a ready plan in the event the flop showed A or K (42% likelihood). In review I realized with only $4.00 effective stacks on the turn that I had committed myself to the pot with my flop bet. I'll have to make sure to address this in the future.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, you can c-bet smaller, around 2.75 would be good.

I've been thinking about this hand a little more, and isn't such a tiny bet on the flop pretty obvious that we're scared of the ace? I mean, our 4bet range is probably QQ+ and AK... if we've got AK or AA, we're aiming to get it in on the turn, no?

With such a passive villain... would it actually be so horrible to just c/f the flop? Only maybe KQs calls our bet here that doesn't have us beat, and any hand we are ahead of he probably checks back.

I stoved a range of QQ-88,AJs+,KQs,AJo+,KQo for this villain on this flop, which I think is reasonable for his PFR and 3bet... equity is:

Hand 0: 46.194% { QcQh }
Hand 1: 53.806% { QQ-88, AJs+, KQs, AJo+, KQo }

As he is so passive post-flop, he is probably only betting the flop with an ace or a set of 8's and checking the rest... perhaps? Or am I reading too much into just 37 hands of data?

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 4bet pots your standard cbet doesn't need to be very big at all. It's very easy to get AI on the turn even if you bet 1/2 pot (or even less) on the flop.

Here even if you only bet $1 on the flop the pot, if called, is going to be more than the smallest remaining stack on the turn.

Had your 4bet size been a bit smaller and your flop bet been in the 1/2 pot range, you could have c/f the turn.