$10 NLHE 6-max: NFD + GSSD + 2 overs vs. maniac (iffy turn play)

SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 95/40/12 (over ~57 hands)

Full Tilt - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

SB: $10.14
BB: $18.01
UTG: $15.46
Hero (MP): $18.27
CO: $10.95
BTN: $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has Q A

fold, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65, 2 players) J T 7
BB checks, Hero bets $0.50, BB calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.65, 2 players) 2
BB bets $1.65, Hero calls $1.65

River: ($4.95, 2 players) 2
BB bets $15.56 and is all-in, Hero calls $15.56

Come the river, this was an easy call, but I shudder at what my options would have been had I bricked. Villain was a fishy maniac, playing just about every hand pre-flop, sometimes donkbetting the flop, sometimes overshoving the turn or river. I'm wondering if my play before the river (particularly the turn) was any good. Was calling a pot-sized bet here optimal? Should I have raised or shoved instead?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make it 50c pre, rest is good.

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't raise turn because you don't have FE, maniacs don't like folding. So even if you do have the max 18 outs it's still more profitable to call

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gonna take a wild stab that villian had kj/qj? and bets pot on turn thinking "better defend my hand"

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I agree with c9 raise more pre when you have maniacs and calling stations at the table

SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys, I'll keep betting bigger pre-flop vs. a maniac in mind from now on.

gonna take a wild stab that villian had kj/qj? and bets pot on turn thinking "better defend my hand"
(Word of warning: results + results-influenced discussion are to follow this parenthetical clause, so look away if you haven't independently thought through this hand yet ;)) BB actually had Qc Kd.

One of the reasons I posted this hand is that it occurred to me that villain's play may not have been completely terrible (provided that he was thinking things through and trying to put me on a range). From his perspective, I could have had some kind of top or medium pair, with no flush draw. I probably would not have been able to call off most river shoves, so it's possible that, with the line he took, he would win most of the time.

Regardless of what he turned out to have, I guess I played this OK, and getting to showdown was a bonus that gave me further insight into how he plays. Given this history, I'd be a bit more at ease making thin calls vs. this villain's overshoves in the future.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its 10nl, villian wasnt thinking like that, dont outlevel yourself

If he was putting you on an overpair, why shove river? he pot bet turn, saying he wasnt drawing to a flush and attempting to end the hand there. A flush draw is not the hand that he is repping, so when the third heart hits the river, shoving is just spewing.

But again, dont give villian that much credit.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its 10nl, villian wasnt thinking like that, dont outlevel yourself

If he was putting you on an overpair, why shove river? he pot bet turn, saying he wasnt drawing to a flush and attempting to end the hand there. A flush draw is not the hand that he is repping, so when the third heart hits the river, shoving is just spewing.

But again, dont give villian that much credit.

He can rep sets/fullhouses though and aggro villains probably do play flush draws like the nuts. If hero has AA here I think it's a tough call.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess, but why would set c/c, then bet out on turn? it would make more sense to c/r turn if he has the set...

but i see your point