$10 NLHE 6-max: Missed flush bluff

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trying to figure out if my river bluff was profitable. I think my turn play was a mistake. Think he has an overpair here? Villain is a reg. who is capable of playing a little loose.

4 handed @ .05/.10

Hero in BB with 100bb stack
is dealt :kd4: :qd4:

Villain in CO (first to act) raises to .30

Folds around to Hero who calls.

Flop: :5d4: :7d4: :10h4: Pot is .62

Hero checks, Villain bets .40, Hero calls

Turn: :5d4: :7d4: :10h4: :8h4: Pot is 1.37

Hero bets .95, Villain raises to 2.50, Hero calls

River: :5d4: :7d4: :10h4: :8h4: :10s4: Pot is 6.10

Hero bets 3.05, Villain folds

At the time, I thought I played well... now I disagree... :sheep:

What would he call with on the river? What does he fold?

Is his turn raise a semi bluff? I figured it's either that or an over pair... or two combos of 78s to make 2 pair, but that's it

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You said he's a fairly competent reggish player. Sometimes these players will raise any donkbet. They don't actually need any kind of hand. Your line won't work vs everyone, but it did work vs him that time.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You showed strength the whole way really. You didn't really rep a flush draw, rather a two-pair hand. You were able to extract more from your opponent and end up making a river bet to take it down. I think you played it well.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I lean towards 3-betting. His CO opening range should be wide, and KQs is a pretty good hand. Calling is definitely not a mistake either though. Only folding would be a mistake.

Flop
Once again only folding would be a mistake. Leading, check-raising or check-calling are all profitable lines, so there are many different ways to play this.

Turn
Not really sure, what you are trying to represent with this donk bet? J9, that called a big flop bet with just a gutshot, or some two pair? Its kind of a brick turn, so donking is strange, which might have induced his raise. As played on previous streets I think, check-call or check-fold, if he bet to big, is the best option. Leading and getting raised is not great, and its close, that you are not even getting the right price to continue.

River
This is an interesting spot, because there are so many draws, that missed, and you can both have them. Hearts, diamonds, 9X, 6X. If both of you have a missed draw, then whoever bet first, will take it down, because there is not enough stack left for a raise. I think, this is most likely, what happened. I am not loving your bluff, but I dont hate it either.

Last edited:
Maple_syrup

Maple_syrup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You showed strength the whole way really. You didn't really rep a flush draw, rather a two-pair hand. You were able to extract more from your opponent and end up making a river bet to take it down. I think you played it well.

I agree with Dude

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! Preflop, I tend to reraise instead of calling. On the flop, I would consider a check-raise. On the turn, I would be inclined to fold or pot control. I don’t think that a regular opponent will believe in ten, so you need to be careful with bluffing if he has an ace, since he can read the flash draw and call with a better kicker.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check fold the turn would be better or check turn bet river if he checks back

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can’t he have 69s for the straight here? I wouldn’t be asking this question if he was in every other position other then the two blinds to be clear.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello colonel,

I think its fine as played, until the turn.
Dont donkbet here. Play check-call if you get the odds, if not might wanna even fold depending on the villain. After that re-raise on the turn you set yourself up to get stacked with second nuts if he bluffs, and for his Tx river gets there also.
So as played, fold turn so you dont get in ugly riverspots.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would suggest you check raise this flop. The board is better for your range than his.
You need to check raise flops both for value and with some bluffs for balance. You have K high and are out of position, if he folds flop that is fine.

If he wants to Gii with AT or JJ or similar you have plenty of equity. If you wait to the turn to lead or raise and then he shoves you wont have the right odds with just one card to come, its a disaster to be forced to fold the equity away on the turn.
I never lead turn like this with so many draws on board.
Bluffing river after being raised on the turn is also fraught. Most turn raises are for value. If you were strong would you not have reraised gii on the turn? You were fortunate he probably raised his own draw on the turn and whiffed.
If he had raised bigger on the turn what are you going to do?

Full Flush Poker