$10 NLHE 6-max: Major leak I can't fix - being slowplayed

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just arrived at the table so no reads. I thought the villain showed no aggression so I can get value on turn and river with TPTK, and there was so much money already in at the river I couldn't see folding. How can I avoid this?

Poker Stars - $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em (5 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $14.74
BB: $10.24
UTG Hero: $10
CO: $2
BTN: $10

Pre-flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG and dealt :ks4: :ah4:
Hero raises to $0.30, CO folds, BTN calls $0.30, BB folds

Flop: ($0.75) :8s4: :5s4: :3c4: (2 players)
Hero bets $0.54, BTN calls $0.54

Turn: ($1.83) :8s4: :5s4: :3c4: :kh4: (2 players)
Hero bets $1.30, BTN calls $1.30

River: ($4.43) :8s4: :5s4: :3c4: :kh4: :jh4: (2 players)
Hero bets $3.40, BTN raises to $7.86 (All-in), Hero calls $4.46 (All-in)

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only way you can avoid it is by folding pre

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks OK to me although I might bet bigger on the flop and turn.

Last edited:
TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not much if anything wrong here. just a cooler

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
any reads? I mean I think this is okay, but is there any argument for betting smaller on the river and folding to a shove?

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He flopped trips did he? Not really sure what you can do in this situation. Its the problem of being out of position. Just accept it as a cooler and move on

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think too many people over value their hand, you have top pair top kicker, so good showdown value. I would check the river and call the bet, I fold if he shoves.

First of all, I need to explain why I believe this, because usually I imply people think like I do but they don't and have no idea what I am taking about, so, first of all, we don't know this guy. When we are vs an unknown, as I said before, I would rather give them credit as being a good poker playa then being a fish, second, you raise UTG, and he calls on the button thus having position on you. We cbet the flop and he calls, he might float here, but we second barrel on the turn on a scare card and still he calls, alarm bells should go off to the one betting, like: what did he call preflop with and continued on the flop? what is he still calling on the turn with? if I bet river how many hands does he have that he calls a bet with and loses, how many hands does he have that he puts me all in, and few other questions too, wish they came to me.

Anyways, after this, giving the fact that I give him credit for being a decent player, I need to give him a range, probably he does not have AA KK QQ JJ, he most likely reraise preflop, he might have KQ, possibly the only hand he calls a bet on the river and loses, he might have a flush draw but you made it so expensive for him on the turn that unless he is a HUGE calling station he is folding his flush draw or a straight draw for that matter, and we have no reason to believe he is a calling station.

After all this, I give him a decent range of 88 55 33 KQ KJ AK (highly unlikely) any other 2 pair (also highly unlikely), maybe KT, maybe busted draw, even so, most of these hands have us beat, so I would check the river and fold or call depending on the bet size and the time it takes to bet.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we are vs an unknown, as I said before, I would rather give them credit as being a good poker playa then being a fish,

Do you think there are more good players at 10nl than there are fish?

I say everyone is bad until proven otherwise.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet bigger on the flop and turn .. the flop you have a bd FD and 2 overs.. its a good hand

Bet smaller on the river.

With a K on the turn and then a jack on the river you are either against a weak pair (in which case you need to bet smaller) a draw (which didnt get there and will probably fold) or something which beats AK (hence the call when the king hit)

You need to bet the river but not as big.

You need to bet the flop and turn bigger to charge draws and to get 2 streets of value from hands like A8, 99, TT etc

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think too many people over value their hand, you have top pair top kicker, so good showdown value. I would check the river and call the bet, I fold if he shoves.

Really you need to decide doses he have more weak pairs in his range than missed draws and will he bluff his missed draws?

If he wont bluff his missed draws there is no reason to check because he checks back all his missed draws but also checks back his weak pairs.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he wont bluff his missed draws there is no reason to check because he checks back all his missed draws but also checks back his weak pairs.

beat me to it

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played, when you bet smaller on the river are you folding to a shove?

Yeah

Do you think he sees your blocking bet and decides to bluff shove?

People dont tend to exploit blocking bets; mainly because many players will still call the shove!

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah

Do you think he sees your blocking bet and decides to bluff shove?

People dont tend to exploit blocking bets; mainly because many players will still call the shove!

Okay just making sure, because that was my instinct too. :)