$10 NLHE 6-max: low pocket pair versus XX?

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hand 1: hero and villian 5.00

i am BB with pocket 5s villian raises to .25, i reraise to .75, villian raises to 1.25 and i call. 2.50 in the pot and 3.75 behind. flop comes disconnected unsuited rags so i push to try to end it there but villian calls.

hand 2: hero 10.00 and second villian 5.00

i'm MP with pocket 3s. i raise to .25, villian reraises to a dollar and i raise to 2.00. he calls. flop comes disconnected unsuited rags. he pushes.

these two were separated by 4 hands or so and played out almost the same way. what could i do differently to increase EV?

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flat call with 55.
I would fold 33 to 3bet, I guess flat calling is fine.
They are both terrible hands and only come good when you hit a set. I'm not sure why you are wanting to play such a big pot with them.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all your 50 BB deep meaning that set mining is not/less profitable.

To increase EV would not play them aggressively by 3-4 betting. Small pairs play terrible postflop as they only hit a set 1/12 times. Folding is a better option.

First hand your in the BB and 3 bet. If you 3 bet 3 bet to 4x as your OOP.
Would call here though as your in the BB and can see a cheap flop and hopefully a set.

Middle position raise is a steal you don't want to see any action with this holding as your only 50 BB deep. After a 3 bet would fold. If you for bet bet bigger at least 2.5x his raise.

If you want to play low pairs at least buy in for the full amount and don't 3-4 bet them as low pairs are ideal for set mining and play terrible post flop in a big pot.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all your 50 BB deep meaning that set mining is not/less profitable.

If you want to play low pairs at least buy in for the full amount and don't 3-4 bet them as low pairs are ideal for set mining and play terrible post flop in a big pot.

i was playing on a "short" table so i was at the max buyin. would you suggest never playing small pockets in that situation?

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yikes. Opposite of what you are asking, i would leave the table instead of the hand. Playing short, against other short stacks, sounds no fun and highly unprofitable. When we play short we want to be up against deep stack we can push around preflop.

I grant you that i also play a different format then most people, but i play at a deep table where you can buy in for up to 200 BB, so I could be off my rocker.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i was playing on a "short" table so i was at the max buyin. would you suggest never playing small pockets in that situation?

Is the max buy-in 50 BB?

With a 50 BB stack I would be hesitant to play small pocket pairs other then as a bluff to pick up the blinds or form the BB to close the action and see a very cheap flop.

Would never 3 bet them and certainly not 4 bet them.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is the max buy-in 50 BB?

With a 50 BB stack I would be hesitant to play small pocket pairs other then as a bluff to pick up the blinds or form the BB to close the action and see a very cheap flop.

Would never 3 bet them and certainly not 4 bet them.

yes, the max is 50.

Yikes. Opposite of what you are asking, i would leave the table instead of the hand. Playing short, against other short stacks, sounds no fun and highly unprofitable. When we play short we want to be up against deep stack we can push around preflop.

I grant you that i also play a different format then most people, but i play at a deep table where you can buy in for up to 200 BB, so I could be off my rocker.

does acr have that kind of table?