BB: $10.20

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has J T

fold, Hero raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, fold, fold, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.95, 3 players) 9 8 T
BB checks, Hero bets $0.55, CO calls $0.55, fold

Turn: ($2.05, 2 players) 3
Hero bets $1.20, CO raises to $3.00

CO is 27/19 3.0 AF over 126 hands, 3bet 6 times all from the blinds. OTF I bet to charge any draws which seem to be likely given the board. Similar thinking goes OTT. After CO raises I'm unsure as to whether I should just call and hope to improve or?

On review I think I should have checked the flop and hoped to either check through or call a bet from CO. 3 handed and the flop hits COs preflop calling range very well, top pair meh kicker is unlikely to win at showdown in my mind looking back so I'd need to improve. Though then I'm unsure on what I should do OTT assuming CO had bet the flop and I turn the FD. I guess x/c depending on the size if CO bets again which I think would be pretty likely. Then I just feel like I'm going x/c, x/c, x/f a ton and I feel bad lol.

Advice? Thanks!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open.

Flop
I think, you nailed it already. You hand is not strong enough to play for 3 streets of value and even less so in a 3-way pot. And therefore you need to play for pot control by checking either the flop or turn. The hands, that might fold to a flop bet, are mostly undercards to the board, since AK/AQ would typically be 3-bet pre. Undercards to the board have very low equity, so you dont gain much protection by betting, and it opens you up to getting raised, so you should have checked.

Turn
As played you should have checked now. You have a lot of draws covered, so protection is not a concern, and your hand is still not strong enough to go for 3 streets of value. He is not going to call turn AND river with a worse hand like T7 or A9, and its not a problem, if it goes check-check now.

As played his raise is a little weird, since 3h should not really have helped him. But maybe he was trying to get the third player involved by slowplaying on the flop, so we can still not rule out some nut hands like QJ. Even so with a made hand and a combodraw, you have to put the money in and see, what happen at the river.

The spot sucks, because none of all your outs are to the nuts, so the river is always going to be a bit of a guessing game, if he fires again. But this is exactly, why you need to play for pot control rather than this bet flop, bet turn kind of line. When we have a draw, but its not to the nuts, we typically dont want to play a massive pot.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Xing the flop over 80% of the time. As played, check turn. Pretty standard x in this spot after having been called on the flop and playing OOP.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Betting the flop seems fine. Checking the turn for pot control would have made sense as we dont have a hand that can get value for 3 streets. Check raise here sucks as our outs might be tinted, we are drawing dead against higher flushes, another J makes 4 to a straight and we are already losing to QJ. I might still call as folding JT of hearts seem too tight.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bit of a weird spot because you flop all these draws alongside top pair. Not a very nutted combo but not bad either (on a board that doesn't hit your range all that well) making me think this is a better hand to check rather than c-bet.

Normally, draws are very good bluff combo's because they tend to have a good amount of equity left while having (near) no showdown value if they miss. Since you actually have some showdown value already playing for pot control and realising equity would be my advice.

Nothing much more to add. All the other points are already brought up.