$10 NLHE 6-max: JJ Q-hi flop, cbet or check back to pot control?

J

J_Slice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $4.86
SB: $10.65
BB: $10.05
UTG: $17.93
Hero (CO): $11.55

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has J J

fold, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65, 2 players) 5 Q 9
BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.45, 2 players) 5
BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BB raises to $1.60

Villain is 47/21 over 40 hands. On review I think checking back the flop to keep the pot smaller and increase the chance I get to showdown is a better option. It would keep this situation from becoming as expensive. Any thoughts on the hand?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open

Flop
Your hand is definitely not good for 3 streets of value, so you need to check back either flop or turn, and I can get on board with both options. This is a pretty dry board, and you also block a lot of draws like JT and KJ. So I do lean toward checking back flop, especially if the opponent is aggressive and will do a lot of betting, whenever you slow down. Or if he does a lot of check-raising on the flop, because thats also not something, I will be very happy to have to contend with.

Turn
As played you definitely need to check back now and then evaluate the river. His check-raise does smell a little bit like BS to me. Is he saying, he has 99 or trip 5´s? He is not repping much, but we are not yet at the river, and I am not willing to play a massive pot with, what is now essentially third pair. So if he bluffed you, then congratulations to him. The way to aviod it in the future is to play for some pot control.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like check flop, if he checks turn I think we can bet. If he leads turn I think we call,

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet flop is fine, but x the turn would be standard there. You don't need much of a double range on a low paired board, and you block the only real draw on that board. So it's a classic WA/WB situation that should be, bet flop, x turn, and probably VB most blank rivers vs this villain.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet flop is fine, but x the turn would be standard there. You don't need much of a double range on a low paired board, and you block the only real draw on that board. So it's a classic WA/WB situation that should be, bet flop, x turn, and probably VB most blank rivers vs this villain.

Exactly. Would also like to add, that if we check back turn and face a large river bet on a blank, we might actually consider folding, because our specific hand block so many busted draws. A hand like A9 is a much better bluff catcher on this board than JJ or TT. But if the opponent checks to us on the river, we can go for a small value bet trying to get called by 9X, sticky pocket pairs or maybe even A high.

J

J_Slice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turn
As played you definitely need to check back now and then evaluate the river. His check-raise does smell a little bit like BS to me. Is he saying, he has 99 or trip 5´s? He is not repping much, but we are not yet at the river, and I am not willing to play a massive pot with, what is now essentially third pair. So if he bluffed you, then congratulations to him. The way to aviod it in the future is to play for some pot control.
I like check flop, if he checks turn I think we can bet. If he leads turn I think we call,

Pretty much how I see the hand. One of the streets needs to get checked and I would like to think that normally that is how I play the hand. Trying to get back into the swing of things. I'm still unsure as to whether it is better to check the flop or the turn.

Betting the flop and not the turn because in a way ahead/way behind situation villain is more likely to continue with worse there? Is that standard in most wa/wb situations? How does being OOP in a wa/wb spot change our thinking? I will poke around and see if I can find the answers but look forward to your thoughts as well.

Thanks all! I did fold to the x/r but upon review I thought I may have been able to play it a bit better.