$10 NLHE 6-max: How/when to squeeze?

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I don't have much info on how to do this/the thought process behind it. Maybe I should save this kind of play for 1) later positions and 2) regs who can fold, both of which were lacking from this hand. Also helps to be in position, obviously.

UTG raise, MP flat, from the BB what is an acceptable squeezing range? This hand could work as a call too, maybe AJs or AQo would work better

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 100 BB
SB: 121.9 BB
Hero (BB): 100 BB
UTG: 82.2 BB
MP: 84 BB
CO: 199.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:diamond: T:diamond:

UTG raises to 2.5 BB, MP calls 2.5 BB, fold, fold, SB calls 2 BB, Hero raises to 15 BB, UTG calls 12.5 BB, MP calls 12.5 BB, fold

Flop: (47.5 BB, 3 players) J:diamond: 5:diamond: 2:heart:
Hero bets 11.8 BB, fold, MP calls 11.8 BB

Turn: (71.1 BB, 2 players) J:spade:
Hero checks, MP checks

River: (71.1 BB, 2 players) T:heart:
Hero checks, MP bets 17.7 BB, Hero calls 17.7 BB

Hero shows A:diamond: T:diamond: (Two Pair, Jacks and Tens)
(Pre 49%, Flop 26%, Turn 0%)
MP shows 5:club: 5:spade: (Full House, Fives full of Jacks)
(Pre 51%, Flop 74%, Turn 100%)
MP wins 101.2 BB

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pre seems fine, I think the 3bet can be smaller, maybe like 10bb but I think the flop bet sizing is where you made a mistake. I'd like it to be around half-pot.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can use pokersnowie squeeze range as starting point and adjust based on UTG RFI % and fold-to-3bet.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Upswing Poker has some good articles on squeezing ranges.

As played, I think your play was OK. Villain hit a set. Just be thankful you didn't have AJ, as you would have probably lost a whole lot more.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your sentiment are results oriented here. I think you're correct when you suggest that we do not HAVE to squeeze vs an UTG open with a caller behind with hands this light, and I probably wouldn't as a default. But it can be fine at a lower frequency. For this open size and closing the action in the BB we could just take a flop until we have better reads. Finding a range that works with your player pool will probably require a bit of study and trial and error but in this case we just happened to run into a set. We can easily fold to the 4 bet when we do squeeze and we get tons of other better hands to fold in general. There's really nothing we can do if they are going to call this wide and then flop super strong hands. The thing to keep in mind is the frequency of your squeezing with these hands and how much action it typically gets. You'll always be OOP post flop when squeezing from the blinds but this is a reason in favor of squeezing IMO. If it's always still going multi way then I'd tighten ranges as an adjustment since we'd rather not play bloated multi way pots OOP with marginal hands if they aren't going to be folding enough.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your sentiment are results oriented here. I think you're correct when you suggest that we do not HAVE to squeeze vs an UTG open with a caller behind with hands this light, and I probably wouldn't as a default. But it can be fine at a lower frequency. For this open size and closing the action in the BB we could just take a flop until we have better reads. Finding a range that works with your player pool will probably require a bit of study and trial and error but in this case we just happened to run into a set. We can easily fold to the 4 bet when we do squeeze and we get tons of other better hands to fold in general. There's really nothing we can do if they are going to call this wide and then flop super strong hands. The thing to keep in mind is the frequency of your squeezing with these hands and how much action it typically gets. You'll always be OOP post flop when squeezing from the blinds but this is a reason in favor of squeezing IMO. If it's always still going multi way then I'd tighten ranges as an adjustment since we'd rather not play bloated multi way pots OOP with marginal hands if they aren't going to be folding enough.

Good stuff right here. ^

On side note villian must hate money , waits until river to try to get value and even then only gets a little extra. Villian let’s suited draws build a nice pot on flop to hit another diamond maybe by just calling your flop bet which I think is fine you bet there. Villian if thinking at all probably assumes you have a J. Why villian doesn’t bet at all here until river is kind of amusing. Sure we know your hand and you’re probably folding to a turn bet but still if I flop a set on a wet board I’m not just check/calling flop.