$10 NLHE 6-max: Flop two pair on paired board ...

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blitz Poker 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: sportsguy16 ($11.59)
Seat 2: siver ($32.37)
Seat 3: Schized96 ($10.15)
Seat 4: endinglife1 ($13.66)
Seat 5: Thedarkchild20 ($10.00)
Seat 6: LFGO4LIFE ($8.02)
siver posts the small blind $0.05
Schized96 posts the big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sportsguy16 [Kd Ac]
endinglife1 folds
Thedarkchild20 folds
LFGO4LIFE folds
sportsguy16 raises $0.30 to $0.30
siver raises $0.85 to $0.90
Schized96 folds
sportsguy16 calls $0.60
*** FLOP *** [Kc 8s 8d]
Main pot $1.81 | Rake $0.09
siver checks
sportsguy16 bets $0.95
siver raises $2.50 to $2.50
sportsguy16 calls $1.55
*** TURN *** [Kc 8s 8d] [2h]
Main pot $6.56 | Rake $0.34
siver bets $5.37
sportsguy16 raises $8.19 to $8.19 and is all-in
siver calls $2.82
*** RIVER *** [Kc 8s 8d 2h] [7c]
Main pot $22.12 | Rake $1.16
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Main pot $22.12 | Rake $1.16
sportsguy16 shows [Kd Ac] (two pair, Kings and Eights [Kd Kc 8s 8d Ac])
siver shows [Tc 8c] (three of a kind, Set of Eights [8s 8d 8c Kc Tc])
siver collected $22.12 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $22.12 | Rake $0.92 | JP Fee $0.24
Board [Kc 8s 8d 2h 7c]
Seat 1: sportsguy16 (button) showed [Kd Ac] and lost with two pair, Kings and Eights [Kd Kc 8s 8d Ac]
Seat 2: siver (small blind) showed [Tc 8c] and won $22.12 with three of a kind, Set of Eights [8s 8d 8c Kc Tc]
Seat 3: Schized96 (big blind) folded on the Pre-Flop
Seat 4: endinglife1 folded on the Pre-Flop and did not bet
Seat 5: Thedarkchild20 folded on the Pre-Flop and did not bet
Seat 6: LFGO4LIFE folded on the Pre-Flop and did not bet

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should 4bet with AK preflop esp vs that guy. Postflop if you intend to go for it just shove the flop don't play turns cause it might come a card that kills the action for him and you get nothing

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are opening from BTN, where you are supposed to have the widest range, and he is 3-betting you from SB, where he is supposed to have a 3-bet or fold strategy, so his range should be 10% of hands or even more. For that reason in my opinion AK is a mandatory 4-bet for value. By just calling you let him see a cheap flop with a lot of hands like this, and you give him great implied odds.

As played fold the turn. He is check-raising you as the preflop aggressor, which is an extremely strong line, and what can he even be bluffing with, when not a single draw is available? He is literally screaming from the mountain top, that he flopped trips, which again he can absolutely have, because you just called him preflop.

Also, and I know, this has been said before, but could you please use a hand history converter and hide player names? It protect the other players, and it also frankly make the hand much easier to read. I personally use the one at Upswing Poker, and it literally only take like 30 seconds to convert a hand. You should select "output format - plain text" and "hide player names". Thanks :)

https://upswingpoker.com/convert/

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the truth you should have done a 4bet in the pre-flop the problem, in this case, is the size of the 4bet (you just called), we have AK and we don't want to lose that hand we don't just want the bet in the pre-flop we want to have it value to our hand, this was your only mistake here the rest was inevitable I mean by this I think you should have done 4bet but I understand not wanting to win only $ 1.81 with that hand, you had bad luck you faced a fish and he was very lucky I wish you better luck next time

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should 4bet with AK preflop esp vs that guy. Postflop if you intend to go for it just shove the flop don't play turns cause it might come a card that kills the action for him and you get nothing

Why do we 4-bet here? It seems like he will only fold those hands that are worse than us... our raise range is very loose, his 3-bet range is pretty wide too. We should want him to keep in a lot of those trash hands, right? (typically he wouldn't be 3-betting as loose as he did here, either).

I was going to suggest checking behind on the flop some % of the time.
It's such a dry board that you can afford to. He doesn't have many kings here, KQ or maybe KJ are in his value 3-bet range.

This will also induce him to bet out with his 99+ hands that 3-bet you. I think against an aggressive opponent it is better to do that than to hope he calls you with 16 total combinations of worse kings.

When he check raises you on the flop, he is either over playing ace-king, or one of his bluff 3-bet A-8 hands hit, or he has aces. (If he 3-bets light often then other hands, 78, 89 are possible).

A tough spot to be in fore sure.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would 4 bet preflop. The trouble with just calling his 3 bet is that you allow his speculative 3 bet bluffs to see a flop. And he hit that flop hard.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Definitely a 4-bet hand pre-flop, making it almost a shove situation to get rid of bad callers.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do we 4-bet here? It seems like he will only fold those hands that are worse than us... our raise range is very loose, his 3-bet range is pretty wide too. We should want him to keep in a lot of those trash hands, right? (typically he wouldn't be 3-betting as loose as he did here, either).

I certainly think, a 4-bet can get some pocket pairs to fold. If he is 3-betting us with a hand like 88, 99 or TT, is he going to put in almost 1/3 of his stack out of position to see a flop? Or 5-bet jam?

Also we dont mind, if he fold worse hands either. We deny his equity and take away his implied odds, when he hit a flop like this. AK is also not easy to play, when we miss, so taking it home pre is a great result.

Sure once in a while he has a hand we dominate, like AJ or KQ, and if we hit the perfect flop, we will cooler him with a better kicker, like he coolered us this time. But this is not enough to make up for all the advantages of 4-betting AK against a wide 3-betting range.