$10 NLHE 6-max: Facing villain Check raise as preflop raiser

N

nordcapp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Speirs(CO) $28.52 - VP:48 PFR:26 AF:17.0 W:36|50 STL:100|40 3B:16|0 CB:20|0 N:10.47 hands:27
Hero(BTN) $15.58 - VP:19 PFR:11 AF:0.8 W:29|40 STL:50|75 3B:2|50 CB:25|75 N:-7.77 Hands:100
HeatStreak(SB) $9.90 - VP:41 PFR:30 AF:2.3 W:13|0 STL:82|83 3B:0|75 CB:100|0 N:-5.94 Hands:37
rna109(BB) $12.06 - VP:20 PFR:6 AF:5.0 W:0| STL:0|50 3B:0|67 CB:100|0 N:1.96 Hands:35
st166(UTG) $11.22 - VP:18 PFR:18 AF:1.0 W:50|100 STL:0|67 3B:17| CB:50|0 N:1.22 Hands:11
dubjjones2(MP) $4.15 - VP:74 PFR:39 AF:3.0 W:13|50 STL:44|40 3B:13|67 CB:33|75 N:-8.46 Hands:31

Pre Flop: Hero(BTN) with [Ad,Qc]
st166(UTG) folds, dubjjones2(MP) raises 0.30, Speirs(CO) calls 0.30, Hero(BTN) calls 0.30, HeatStreak(SB) folds, rna109(BB) folds

Flop: (Ac,8d,Tc) (3 players) Pot 1.05
dubjjones2(EP) checks, Speirs(MP) bets 0.65, Hero(BTN) calls 0.65, dubjjones2(EP) folds

Turn: 3d (2 players) Pot 2.35
Speirs(EP) checks, Hero(BTN) bets 1.48, Speirs(EP) raises 3.11, Hero(BTN) calls 1.63

River: Th (2 players) Pot 8.57
Speirs(EP) bets 4.50, Hero(BTN) folds

Played too many tables (10) and I think I made a mistake here. Should I call on the river, since villain only represents AA 88 TT A8 AT T8 (with many busted flush draw straight draw and random bluff hands), and his image is too aggressive (and my image on this table is too passive)?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3-bet pre flop. You're way ahead of that guys range. If you're calling that turn, then you need to call that river. Really nothing has changed. But I'd recommend folding to the min turn check raise. The guy is aggro, but those plays are usually nutted hands. Your only question is if he's over valuing his hand, and if you think so, then you call turn and call river.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The opener is 74/39 and the CO 48/26 just calls.
3bet preflop every time here. Your AF of .8 is too low you need to look at ways of increasing your aggression or everyone will fold to your value bets. This is something I also struggle with so believe me you must address it or you won't beat 10nl
Despite John A saying fold to the turn min raise, normally I agree but as played his AF of 17 is too high for me to give that play any credit at all (cheap bluff attempt imo) and I call down here. But I agree don't call turn and fold river, call both or not at all.

Last edited:
Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre is a fist pump 3bet and id be inclined to make it pretty big pre too based on how loose these guys are

As played I think its fine, I dont think his line is many flush draws and dont really see what we beat?
If he had an Ax we beat its pretty likely he would bet on the turn as would flush draws, unless he decided to x/c but with his turn sizing i think its safe to rule out flush draws and at this point we dont really beat too much
Especially when he makes river so small feels like he boated up to me and I think as played is fine

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The opener is 74/39 and the CO 48/26 just calls.
3bet preflop every time here. Your AF of .8 is too low you need to look at ways of increasing your aggression or everyone will fold to your value bets. This is something I also struggle with so believe me you must address it or you won't beat 10nl
Despite John A saying fold to the turn min raise, normally I agree but as played his AF of 17 is too high for me to give that play any credit at all (cheap bluff attempt imo) and I call down here. But I agree don't call turn and fold river, call both or not at all.

You should probably focus way less on AF its not a great indicator of play styles and is probably inhibiting you from progressing
Should focus on other stats like cbet and 3b etc

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet pre. We don't have a hand that plays well multiway.

As played.
We can raise flop. and if we get called we need to check/check turn and re-assess on the river.

We can sometimes fold out AK hands on the flop and we pot control and won't have to pay too much if he leads into us on river. Then its all about bluff range and what he could possibly be betting with. But our check on turn looks weak. And fun thing is it wont matter what opponent has, he can have a set or a weaker Ace... he will bet the same a lot of the times.
But we get folds and we make some money :) and beat a tiny bit. But if he bets into us on turn we have to fold.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should probably focus way less on AF its not a great indicator of play styles and is probably inhibiting you from progressing
Should focus on other stats like cbet and 3b etc

Really... please comment on the hand and not my advice.
I happen to totally disagree with you. Often the levels of aggression shown by a player totally dominate the way a hand should be played.
Although its a small sample and AF takes some time to normalise AF17 in 27 hands is still ridiculously high and this is someone who bets almost everytime and his bets should not be trusted to mean much. In fact I'd be more inclined to think he had something if he checked.
The guy is playing 48/26 that's a massive wide range playing any two suited or connected which brings in a lot of rather obvious whiffed flush and straight draws here, I'd expect air here plenty and weaker aces like AJ A9 and suited Ac right down to A2s.
I'm definitely calling him down against that range and that AF and its not inhibiting my play!??

Last edited:
N

nordcapp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually my aggression was so low because my 100 hands on that table on that particular day was too bad... Usually my AF is 2.5-3, and my vpip/pf/3bet on 6max is like 22/18/6-8. Immediately after the hand I realized that I should have called down since his AF is too high and is like a LAG fish... And thanks for the comments that confirmed my thoughts and pointed out that AQo doesn't play well multiway (besides AJo and KQo).

Last edited:
Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really... please comment on the hand and not my advice.
I happen to totally disagree with you. Often the levels of aggression shown by a player totally dominate the way a hand should be played.
Although its a small sample and AF takes some time to normalise AF17 in 27 hands is still ridiculously high and this is someone who bets almost everytime and his bets should not be trusted to mean much. In fact I'd be more inclined to think he had something if he checked.
The guy is playing 48/26 that's a massive wide range playing any two suited or connected which brings in a lot of rather obvious whiffed flush and straight draws here, I'd expect air here plenty and weaker aces like AJ A9 and suited Ac right down to A2s.
I'm definitely calling him down against that range and that AF and its not inhibiting my play!??

I did comment on the hand lol
AF doesnt give an accurate representation because it could be pre or post flop so doesnt give a balanced view is all im saying and in a lot of your posts it seems to be a major factor in your decision making and i think it is probably hurting your game because you are too reliant on it
Just trying to help you improve bro

And its pretty unlikely he plays draws like this, he would either bet turn or check call not x/r small so I think draws are unlikely