fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond: Q:club: 2:heart:
SB bets 4.6 BB, Hero calls 4.6 BB

Turn: (16.2 BB, 2 players) 8:heart:
SB checks, Hero bets 8.1 BB, SB calls 8.1 BB

River: (32.4 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:
SB bets 15.4 BB, fold

SB wins 30.8 BB

1) What sort of hands would villain have to be donking on a flop like this? Im struggling to see what kind of range would do this. Anyway - is peeling here a good thing to do in the hopes of hittng a ten or ace or getting a gutshot that i could try and be aggressive with?

2) When he checks the turn, I don't feel like I have much SDV and could try to get some value from a gutshot / flush draw, so does a bet here make sense? Would it be possible to rep a queen to try and get folds from a small to mid pocket pair?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

SB: 110.7 BB
BB: 103.4 BB
UTG: 105.5 BB
MP: 329.4 BB
Hero (CO): 100 BB
BTN: 101.7 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T A

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) 8 Q 2
SB bets 4.6 BB, Hero calls 4.6 BB

Turn: (16.2 BB, 2 players) 8
SB checks, Hero bets 8.1 BB, SB calls 8.1 BB

River: (32.4 BB, 2 players) J
SB bets 15.4 BB, fold

SB wins 30.8 BB

1) What sort of hands would villain have to be donking on a flop like this? Im struggling to see what kind of range would do this. Anyway - is peeling here a good thing to do in the hopes of hittng a ten or ace or getting a gutshot that i could try and be aggressive with?

2) When he checks the turn, I don't feel like I have much SDV and could try to get some value from a gutshot / flush draw, so does a bet here make sense? Would it be possible to rep a queen to try and get folds from a small to mid pocket pair?

Thank U 4 Posting

In player pools like this it not uncommon for a player to donk 2 pair hands and top pair even sets for this sizing. Few players fold to donk bets as you did not so it is uncommon for players to donk bluff dry boards.

So folding the flop with your hand is a good play versus most players.

Once we call- second pair pairing is horrible for us as the V's donk leads improve with this card more often than we did -including say X8 which they led hoping you missed. So they will often check improved hands here so we accomplish little by betting turn.

Hope this helps
:):)

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) It depends on the player. Some will donk to steal on dry boards, some will donk for value at these stakes. My general strategy in a lot of these cases, assuming I don't think that player knows I will be overly aggressive and is trying to induce me, is to min raise a spot like this, which is something reasonable to do if I had a hand and wanted them to call my raise. Then I bomb the turn. Sometimes barrel river. But again, it depends on what kind of player I think I'm against.

2) Correct, you don't have SD value once he c/c's the turn, but it's unlikely he's taking this line with a smaller pair. You're up against Qx and 8x a lot, and 22. You have blockers to the straight, so your only move is to jam or fold. Jam is probably the higher EV line (you'll get nearly all Qx to fold and you have blockers to AQ, and some 8x will fold), but it's higher variance, so a fold is the lower variance play here.