$10 NLHE 6-max: Could you drop the A high Straight here?

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi

Looking for some thoughts on this hand which i played yesterday in a 6 max cash game at 5c 10c.

I was UTG with AJo and raised 3x BB.

Thread 1
(Clearly I didn't see what he was holding but he turned out to have 10 3 off suit.) Villain had been playing fast and loose and had been pretty lucky on the previous few hands.

My opponent in the CO 3 bet raised to 9x BB which I called. (Pot = £2.25.)

We both had stacks of about $15 now.

The flop came.......

Thread 2

So i had flopped an A high straight. I pot raised and he called me. (Pot $6.75)

So, Im thinking now, what did he have? He had been playing ATC and so he could have anything. My best estimate was he had hit a pair (at this stage)

The turn.....

Thread 3

Was the Q making trips for him? Had he already got two pair on the flop and had now made a full house? Did he still have nothing?

I raised $6. He called. (Pot $18.75)

We were both left with about $7 stacks.

The river arrived......

Thread 4

I'd still got my A high straight, there was now clearly a better chance of a full house (with a Q or a T in his hand) and dare to think.... was he holding two tens or two queens? Or did he still have nothing? or had he made the straight as well?

What would you do now?

Thanks

BB

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold preflop, reads on villain seen as they are 3betting T3 off suit vs utg ?.

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should 4b preflop or fold to his 3b. AJo will very often be dominated and you are out of position. As played you could bet very small on the river and fold to a raise.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a double paired board, though it's hard to do, straights and flushes aren't much good and need to be folded most of the time.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, AJo isn't that great of a hand so you need to be more aggressive than him to gain advantage. Reraise him and if he shows any resistance back off

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks so far. A timely reminder of the weaknesses of AJo and the importance of making that early decision.

BB

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't slow play a straight & try to get in money as quickly as possible.
It's hard to read your action but if you raised his bet on flop then size it up to jam turn.