$10 NLHE 6-max: Check or bet flop? KK on A high, 3! pot

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I feel like I need to bet here in general. - V is calling super wide from what we've seen, so maybe a check works in this scenario, but in general is it a bet?

For dry boards like this I usually have 3 main groups

Bet for Value- gets called by worse
Check-call- these hands don't need protection, but will struggle to get called by worse. I turn them into bluff catchers (KK)
Bet for protection/bluff- looking for folds

KK works as a bluff catcher, but maybe it should be there to balance my Cbet range? Most v's call 1 street with a middling pair here anyway. What do y'all think?

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Thank you Poker Tracker. Please add Zoom/Blitz mode.

BTN: 163.7 BB
SB: 169.1 BB
Hero (BB): 112.5 BB
UTG: 77.7 BB
MP: 127.4 BB
CO: 127.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:spade: K:heart:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.2 BB, fold, Hero raises to 9 BB, BTN calls 6.8 BB

Flop: (18.5 BB, 2 players) 5:spade: A:club: 3:diamond:
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: (18.5 BB, 2 players) Q:heart:
Hero bets 10.5 BB, BTN calls 10.5 BB

River: (39.5 BB, 2 players) A:spade:
Hero bets 22.2 BB......?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet flop vs. passive opponents, check versus more aggressive opponents.

As played turn and river are fine, I'd probably bet slightly less on the river, but not by much ~40%.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I've been studying on solvers, my guess is that it would say to bet that flop about 1/3 pot at an almost 100% frequency.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
From what I've been studying on solvers, my guess is that it would say to bet that flop about 1/3 pot at an almost 100% frequency.

Sure, I like the 1/3 sizing, but could you explain betting near 100%? That doesn't seem too clever, especially for a computer!:eek:

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure, I like the 1/3 sizing, but could you explain betting near 100%? That doesn't seem too clever, especially for a computer!:eek:[/QUOT

Pio solver would recognise that board as favouring your preflop 3 betting range. On those kinds of boards, the solver recommends cbetting small with a very high frequency.

I'm not sure I'm completely onboard with it, but solvers do seem to be the 'soup du jour' at the moment.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with what John A wrote. Im indifferent on the flop but I would know once the flop comes down this is not a hand that I will be betting 3 streets. I would decide which 1 or two streets I would want to bet on and which one I would prefer to check. Given that the villain is wide as you say, they could have any Ax here fairly easily so I dont love betting into that here. I would check the flop hoping the villain checks back or at least bets small. As played I would bet the turn as you did and the sizing you used, since we can get value from Qx hands and also can gauge villain a bit by how they react to this bet and how much time it takes for them to make their action. On the river, I agree with John that this is a bet spot but it should be for a smaller amount than you make it. Villain is less likely to have an ace now but only will call with Qx and some pocket pair hands like 77-1010. Thats a fairly small value range and most of the time I would think villain is either going to fold or raise as a bluff or because they were slow playing the ace. Since I think they are calling with little here then I would be betting on the small side. I dont think it is a terrible play to check here with the intention of bluff catching. Depends on whether we think villain would bluff air here or a hand like 77.