$10 NLHE 6-max: Big bluff on river

D

Demonphi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello again guys, firstly i would like to thank all for the analysis. I really learn too much with you all.

In this hand i decide to make a total bluff jam on the river. I received a very unexpected call from the villain. I would like you to analyze my bluff and try to understand the villain's line of thought. Thanks!

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG: $12.27 (123 bb)
MP: $20.90 (209 bb)
CO: $13.99 (140 bb)
BU (Hero): $10.19 (102 bb)
SB: $12.08 (121 bb)
BB: $8.45 (85 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with A Q
3 players fold, Hero raises to $0.25, SB 3-bets to $1, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.10) 2 5 T (2 players)
SB bets $0.66, Hero calls $0.66

Turn: ($3.42) K (2 players)
SB bets $1.64, Hero calls $1.64

River: ($6.70) 7 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $6.89 (all-in), SB calls $6.89

Total pot: $20.48 (Rake: $0.92)

Showdown:
BU (Hero) shows A Q (high card, Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 46%, Flop: 52%, Turn: 39%, River: 0%)

SB shows 6 6 (a pair of Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 54%, Flop: 48%, Turn: 61%, River: 100%)

SB wins $19.56

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This seems fine enough to me. At some frequenzy AQ could perhaps be a 4-bet from BTN, and you could also raise flop and jam turn, so that the money goes in, while you still have outs. But there is nothing wrong with just calling either, and on the river this hand is near the bottom of your range, and it also has a relevant blocker, so it is a decent candidate for bluffing.

As for your opponent, he just did not believe you apparently. Take a note and probably avoid bluffing him in the future, but bet more light for value. Against a more normal player a hand like KQ with a spade would usually be a check back on the river, but against a calling station it can be jammed for value. There are lots of calling stations in the micros, so this hand should not come as a surprice for you ;)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that by just calling the flop and turn, he put you on exactly what you had (one good spade and possibly an over or two).

His check/call on the river was optimistic with the turned King, but as fund said, next time you actually have a good hand, you should be able to extract maximum value with it.

Your equity in the hand was the highest on the flop, with 15 clean outs, making you a 54% favourite. You could certainly have raised then, and continued your aggression on later streets.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting place. I have to tell you that you have faced a maniac style player. Double barrel and then x/c catched a bluff with a blocker of low straight on a coordinated board towards better draws and a K on the table is definitely manic style. Write a note that this villain catches bluffs with a fourth scale pair. Do not forget that this class of players constantly change their play. Do not try to copy their style, because it can lead you to make many mistakes. Just check out the bluffs you have in your range. The truth is that for this texture there are many bluffs. You represent flush blockers and failed draws most of the time. Against players who have little fold equity on the river you should choose better places to bluff.
Greetings.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the idea of a bluff but I dont think I do it in this manner. I would prefer raising the flop and then deciding on the turn whether I want to take the free river or bet very large. I dont think either is the wrong choice because the bluff route by betting large on the turn (with still outs behind) can work and also think raising the flop and seeing the river most likely for free is not a bad idea either. If you are going to go the route that you go though I like a smaller bet on the river. I would like a bet that looks more valuey compared to the jam that you wind up making. If you bet something like half pot here on the river it looks pretty strong to call raise pre, call down two streets and then make a half pot bet (which usually screams value) on the river. Jamming looks weaker here than half pot and we are trying to convey strength to our opponent here. I know it gives villain better odds to only bet half here but I think the perception is that it looks stronger.

And yes as what others have said, to call here with just 66 is a borderline suicidal so I would not be hanging my head at all with this play and probably my half pot bet wouldnt work either but against most players, its counter intuitive but they might fold more to a half pot bet rather than a slightly overbet jam.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just for the record I have found, that I often tend to get little credit on monotone flops. Usually I dont play like this, but if I raise preflop and bet all 3 streets, I have often been called down by a very random pair. So yeah. As played it might be a better idea to just check back on the river. After all AQ even has a least a small amount of showdown value. Not much but if we win even 5% of the time, it does reduce the value of bluffing.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think that if you are brave you can play 4bet Aqo pre flop from the button position against 3bet from the small blind. Opponent from the small blind thinks that you want steal the blind and better players will 3bet you loose from the small blind. I agree mostly with 300HPGOD, If you want bluff on the river I prefer smaller bet, I think bet for at least 50% will be enough. I also think that jam on the river seems a little weaker than bet for 50% of the pot. Opponent has very good read on you and he was very brave to hero call your jam. It was very risky move from him. Good hand :)