$10 NLHE 6-max: BB vs SB unsure on river action

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain 24/18. 40 hands. Assumed a reasonable steal range here.

I called flop to keep their entire range in.

Turn card brings in some draws. He has caught something here sometimes but much more often is drawing/behind. I raise to charge the draws to see the river. I think I was going to find it really hard to check and just call a third barrel, especially on any Ace, Queen, Jack, Ten, Seven or any other club. So first question I suppose is, who else plays this the same? Or differently?

When he calls my raise his range narrows a ton. Are there are more draws than there are flushes and straights or made hands that beat me? I figured so. If he has a set of anything, or KQ, that is just a cooler right?

As it turns out the 8 is not a particularly scary river card. Most of the time this card is not changing anything. At this point though we go check check. I think I was afraid of getting reraised or shoved on (a clear fold if it happened). It is a pretty scary looking board, I reckoned that a worse hand was not going to call me very often if I went for even thin value and bet $1.50 to $2 ish. What do you think?

Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): 115.5 BB
UTG: 186.9 BB
MP: 67.4 BB
CO: 113.7 BB
BTN: 100 BB
SB: 109.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9 K

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 2.5 BB, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (5 BB, 2 players) K Q 9
SB bets 3.2 BB, Hero calls 3.2 BB

Turn: (11.4 BB, 2 players) 8
SB bets 6.7 BB, Hero raises to 20.1 BB, SB calls 13.4 BB

River: (51.6 BB, 2 players) 8
SB checks, Hero checks

SB shows A T (One Pair, Eights)
(Pre 64%, Flop 22%, Turn 27%)
Hero shows 9 K (Two Pair, Kings and Nines)
(Pre 36%, Flop 78%, Turn 73%)
Hero wins 49.1 BB

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

In general I think you played well. I like the flat call on the flop to induce bluffs for the reasons you stated. Sb most likely has a very weak holding compared to your two pair. For the same reason you can expect villian might try to push you of your hand after feeling committed as the aggressor preflop. I like the raise on the turn and the check through on the river. Well played.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I reckoned that a worse hand was not going to call me very often if I went for even thin value and bet $1.50 to $2 ish.
I agree with this sentiment. Given the turn raise we got 3 streets of value with our two pair hand. A fourth street would be super thin given the run out. I also agree that we are usually good here but when we don't expect many calls from worse and open the door for bluffs I don't think it's particularly worth it to go for it here. We will have trips, straights, flushes, and boats to fire another bet with. Also given all that, unless we have some read on V I wouldn't count on getting called by a Kx that is bluff catching or hoping for a chop. Well played IMO.

I think V could 3 bet this turn and rip rivers alot as he blocks some JT and blocks the nut flush draw. Hero really shouldn't have much 8x.

Last edited: