$10 NLHE 6-max: BB vs UTG flopping trips (!)

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Interesting spot here. I think my opponent played very well here, and I played very poorly! :captain:

I don't know what to do vs. the 3! flop... I think I prefer raising the flop to get value from V's fds, which he has a lot of.

Do we donk turn/river? Or what options do we have? ITH I was worried about a better K, I even considered turning our hand into a bluff OTT.

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 121.4 BB
SB: 130.9 BB
Hero (BB): 100 BB
UTG: 161.8 BB
MP: 190.2 BB
CO: 146.3 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:heart: 8:heart:

UTG raises to 2.2 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.2 BB

Flop: (4.9 BB, 2 players) K:club: 7:spade: K:spade:
Hero checks, UTG bets 1.1 BB, Hero raises to 3.7 BB, UTG raises to 9.7 BB, Hero calls 6 BB

Turn: (24.3 BB, 2 players) 2:spade:
Hero checks, UTG bets 7.8 BB, Hero calls 7.8 BB

River: (39.9 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
Hero checks, UTG checks

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think calling an UTG raise from the BB is too loose with K8.

Once you flop trips, you're in a way ahead/way behind scenario. Any of the bigger Kings have you crushed, so I prefer a check/call on flop and turn. Once you river the boat, you could donk out, although you'll probably only get called by hands that split the pot with you.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting spot here. I think my opponent played very well here, and I played very poorly! :captain:

I don't know what to do vs. the 3! flop... I think I prefer raising the flop to get value from V's fds, which he has a lot of.

Do we donk turn/river? Or what options do we have? ITH I was worried about a better K, I even considered turning our hand into a bluff OTT.

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 121.4 BB
SB: 130.9 BB
Hero (BB): 100 BB
UTG: 161.8 BB
MP: 190.2 BB
CO: 146.3 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K 8

UTG raises to 2.2 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.2 BB

Flop: (4.9 BB, 2 players) K 7 K
Hero checks, UTG bets 1.1 BB, Hero raises to 3.7 BB, UTG raises to 9.7 BB, Hero calls 6 BB

Turn: (24.3 BB, 2 players) 2
Hero checks, UTG bets 7.8 BB, Hero calls 7.8 BB

River: (39.9 BB, 2 players) 2
Hero checks, UTG checks

Thank U 4 Posting

The key to this hand is the flop. We need to decide right there if we are playing for stacks.
If we decide we are playing for stacks we then have to decide how and when we are getting all the chips in the middle.

So when you check raise the flop what range does your Villain expect you to have?
When the V 3 bets the flop what range do they have?

So If the V thinks you have flush draws and Kx for 4 bets what range calls a 4 bet?

Again we are thinking how do we get stacks in. A 4 bet on the flop of 2.5x makes the pot 68 if the V calls and stacks in if they shove a flush draw.

So if we 4 bet and the V folds as this hand played out we would lose 8BB in value. Had we 4 bet and got a call on the flop we would have gained 19bb in value.

The problem with just calling the 3 bet is this type of runout. We won a pot of 39.9 bb with a full house.

NL is about maximizing winning hands and one rule of thumb is we want to get all the chips in the middle when we think we have the best of it.

We are 74% favorites vs AsQs on this flop. We want to be piling chips in if we can.

Hope this helps

:):)

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Is K8s too loose v UTG? V only raised 2.2. I admit that there are better, non-dominated speculative hands that could call, but the call can't be too bad. Folding pre is simpler.... If it helps, just imagine we have KTs here :)

Thanks for the advice y'all. Obviously V has more fds than Kings here, so maybe we 4! that flop. Hard to balance this play though, we'd also have 77 here for value and a few of our own fds here for bluffs.... QJs comes to mind, AJs and AQo with A of spades, all of which block the King combos V has here.

It just is a weird spot, since we should be pretty far behind on this board. Even though we have a good concentration of fds and pocket pairs, V has better versions of both.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pre-flop is close. 1.2bbs at thes stakes, it's probably ok, but probably a slight fold. I'm sure solvers will be split and slighty towards call.

On the flop, CRing here is fine, but it needs to be larger. Definitely just call once he 3-bets the flop. You want to keep his bluffs in. The pot is too small to get his flushes all in.

Turn c/c is fine.

River though needs to be a small bet in order to induce his bluff range and get some crying calls.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I think you played the flop well. Since villian 3-bet raises your flop check raise I think checking the turn is the correct play. Allow the aggressor to continue. When you boat up on the river and the turn checks through I recommend a value bet on the river of your choosing. Depending on opponents hand history I'd decide my value bet sizing. I think you played very reasonable but missed value allowing the river to check through.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think pre flop can go either way. I don't mind folding in this spot and definitely have no problem calling a small raise when we have a king suited type hand. I think people defend too much at times with 106 off type hands but also think that is a carryover from tournament play but K8 suited is a hand you can call here with. The higher the C bet % of the villain the more I would tend to fold and the more the villain is passive on the flop, the more I would call.

On the flop, we have trips, there is a flush draw out there and villain bets super small. To me, this would seem like its a bet where villain wants to see a turn cheaply for some reason (obviously a flush draw makes sense but they could also think they have the board crushed with some Kx hand that given the raise likely beats us). Even though we could be behind here I would not advocate just calling this small bet with 2 spades on the board. I would raise as you did and probably would have sized it around 4 BBs so in essence, the same bet you did. When we get re raised I am not loving it but I am not folding there either. Flush draws would re raise me and maybe villain is someone who likes to control the hand always and therefore will make sure they are heading to the turn with control of the hand. As played I think we should just call this as we are either going against Kx or we are facing a flush draw. As I said, there could be other hands we would never think of that is doing this but my mind would think Kx or flush draw.

The turn is well played by you and I think weirdly played by the villain. The bet is too small to make us fold anything we could have and if the villain did just hit their flush they should know the board is paired and cant act like the flush cant be drawn out on. Given that they bet so small this is an easy call and no reason to raise as we are only getting in deeper if we are against a flush.

The river is obviously great for us. If villain has a flush they probably aren't betting behind us and if they have anything else other than 2x which I highly doubt or Kx which we chop, they will check behind. If we think they will check behind then we need to try to get value even if we think its never getting called. We aren't losing here (quad dueces aint happening) so we have no worry about making a bet. I like something that is not too small or too large to raise eyebrows. Under 1/3rd looks like you are begging for a call and anything over half probably scares villain too much. I would go for 40% of pot or 16BB and see what happens. I think we are getting a fold from villain a lot but its worth a try.

Last edited:
liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop is not close, don't listen to this nits. You should call with all of your suited Kx and most of your suited Qx, down to Q5s.

Your flop raise is fine, you should have lower Kx hands that you would just call. Turn check is fine, and on the river you should have bet small. You unblock high poker pairs of villain, he still might call you with QQ-JJ if you bet half. This was your only mistake.