Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with Q A
UTG raises to $0.30, 4 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.90, UTG calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.85) 8 J 4 (2 players)
Hero bets $1.13, UTG calls $1.13

Turn: ($4.11) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $2.74, UTG calls $2.74

River: ($9.59) 4 (2 players)
Hero bets $5.26, UTG:)

I deleted the final part of the hand because I want your opinions to be unbiased of how I played this Semi-bluff. If it's not clear the river was a shove all-in.:)I'll put whether they folded or called in the comments.;)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jumping to the river decision I dont like it too much. I dont think the villain is going to be worried about another 4 hitting the board because you really cant have that many 4xs in your range other than maybe A4 suited and thats a maybe. Therefore, since it isnt a scare card and they have called a raise pre, called flop, called turn, I dont think they are going anywhere so at this point I would be giving up.

As far as the rest the of hand, Im sure Im going to get grilled for this but Im indifferent on raising here coming out of the BB. I dont mind, since we are already down to heads up in the hand, to just call and see a flop with a hand that flops well. Unless the villain has a high fold to 3 bet%, they will be calling this a lot and then we are out of position in a bigger pot than if we called. Depending on what the flop is, the better bluff here is to call pre and then check raise the flop (thats also debatable so you can let me have it on that one too lol). I think to really get the villain to fold more pre flop you would need to usually go bigger, somewhere in the range of 4x.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

P: Readless just flat, we're getting great odds. With reads, yes we can 3bet to 4x because we are OOP.
F: as played, yes cbet. Make it bigger to 75-100% pot. Apply max pressure. This is a personal preference, so I'm not sure about best sizing.
T: readless we have to slow down, we block QQ Ax BWSD and a weirdly played AA. Not many draws on flop, so what did villain call flop with? Turn is very bad for us: we didn't improve to top pair and now there's more draws possible.

If we bet turn, we have awkward river decision because we can't value jam river with confidence: we can only bluff/semi-bluff river.

Are we bet/folding when villain jams on us with nut FD + 2-overs combo? Seems like a waste.

R: as played, well played, we must jam river, its just printing money if villain made a mistake by just calling turn reasonably. It's different story if villain is trapping and we value-owned ourselves.

River is an auto-jam once we get there as played: we took a medium to high risk by betting turn because several other things can still go wrong in the hand.

My guess is villain snapped us with TT.

Last edited:
J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jumping to the river decision I dont like it too much. I dont think the villain is going to be worried about another 4 hitting the board because you really cant have that many 4xs in your range other than maybe A4 suited and thats a maybe. Therefore, since it isnt a scare card and they have called a raise pre, called flop, called turn, I dont think they are going anywhere so at this point I would be giving up.

As far as the rest the of hand, Im sure Im going to get grilled for this but Im indifferent on raising here coming out of the BB. I dont mind, since we are already down to heads up in the hand, to just call and see a flop with a hand that flops well. Unless the villain has a high fold to 3 bet%, they will be calling this a lot and then we are out of position in a bigger pot than if we called. Depending on what the flop is, the better bluff here is to call pre and then check raise the flop (thats also debatable so you can let me have it on that one too lol). I think to really get the villain to fold more pre flop you would need to usually go bigger, somewhere in the range of 4x.

Thank you for the way you explained this, I think I need to re-evaluate why I'm bluffing in certain spots. I think I bet too many rivers simply because I have little to no showdown value like this hand. I appreciate the advice

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like it with any club on the river, or K. Otherwise it's a no for me for that sizing.

Really the turn is a give up spot because your opponents calling range is only going to improve and there's not a lot of good bluffs at that point.

When you're deciding on whether you should fire or not on the turn and river, it has to be cards that hit your range more, and/or runouts that get gnarly for your opponents range.