$10 NLHE 6-max: AKs post flop play vs 3bet !?

K

KateUpswing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. Little introduction before this really interesting hand. Sadly I cant provide this hand in a replayer because I'm playing on a site where I can't find the hand history folder (bwin).
Having said that let's jump into action.

Hero in HJ (Stack 96BB) - AdKd
Villain in UTG (160BB)

Preflop
Villain: open raises 2.5BB
Hero: 3bets to 8.5BB
Villain calls.

2way Flop (8h,6s,4h) 18.5BB potsize:
Villain checks
Hero bets 8.8BB
Villain 3bets 24BB
Hero calls.

Turn (8h 6s 4h 7s) 66.5BB
Villain bets 24BB
Hero calls

River (8h 6s 4h 7s Jc) 120BB (45eff.)
Villain goes all in 110BB
Hero calls and is all in for 45BB
Showdown Villain shows AcQh
Hero wins.

I have had no history on him. My question did I play this hand correctly? It felt a little awkward calling 3 streets with A high. Another problem I faced was that I basically commited myself on the turn because of my stacksize, but raising isolates me only against better hands right?
My thought process after flop: standard conti bet for me since I dominate a lot of hands which I can gain value from (AQ AJ A10, KQ,KJ, flush draw combs like 910s)
I didnt really like his 3bet but I think AK is too strong to let it go yet and additionally he might bluff with flush draws. Turn he continues his line and bets. 910 makes a straight now but I dont think 910 will ever raise on the flop. And now I face the problem that my rest stack kind of says if I call his bet I've to call the river. I thought ok I'm losing to sets and only sets because top pairs won't really go for 3 streets of value and will eventually slow down on the turn, plus he still might have a lot of bluffs going on, basically flush combs.
So I made the turn and river call (River didn't really make a difference to me, kind of a blank)
What would you do in my spot. Do you think i'm a calling station here :p ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is honestly a bit spewy especially without history between you and the Villain. I prefer to check back AK for showdown value on this kind of board, and when you C-bet and get played back at, I prefer to just let it go. If he have the kind of hand, he is representing for value, you are drawing dead, and you have a ton of better hands to defend with like overpairs or draws.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, in this case I must tell you nice call but for me it was fold in the flop with that board and without information from the villain I would not have taken any form that risk, I have AK that raise of preflop and the flop make me think of a medium pair and maybe his raise on the flop was because of the flush and straight draw that was on the board I would have done it in a +88 range so I do fold in the flop I don't take risk of leaving all my stack playing something that I do not know, then the turn and the river for me without information from the villain in both I think it was a mistake the size of the blinds you had on the river was still acceptable (45bb) I really do not understand why you take that risk.
This is what I think of that hand, I, in particular, would have done everything differently and lost my bet on the pre-flop and flop before his raise of 24bb but you did the opposite and it went well

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, 10NL 6-max is a bit of a spew fest sometimes. Its the first limit online, where you find a lot of aggressive regulars, who are not afraid to go all the way with a stone cold bluff. And there is some point in sticking your foot down and showing them, that you are willing to call all the way down with a bluff catcher.

However I just prefer to do it with another hand than AK high. It would be a bummer, if he have a hand like 97s and decide to continue bluffing, because he is trying to make you fold an overpair. Whenever there is a risk, we could even be losing to some of our opponents bluffs, its typically time to get out.

K

KateUpswing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In advance thanks for your replies!@fundiver:
I know that it's not really standard to call down 3 bets with A high and it's a spot you certainly want to avoid but here is a thing to consider. If I always fold AK to a 3 bet on that kind of board, it not only decreases the EV a lot, but you further make yourself exploitable. I like mix I guess. Checking back however is a play I dont favour, simply because you have less information on the turn and just delay the action, plus you give worse hands that might call the flop a free card.

I've just typed in a reasonable range in Equilab and it turned out that post river I had a chance of 35% that my hand is good. Possible that it's even a little less lets say 30% but im giving pot odds of 1.9 to 1 which means it's a profitable call or am I wrong?! I mean I dont really see how I can fold the river bet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Typically denying equity is not a good enough reason to bet, and hands like AQ or KQ, which are his most likely hands, you are ahead of, only have 3 outs. And in top of that, if an A or K come, now you just coolered him, and you can get paid. Sure its not all that fun to miss the turn and face a bet, but I dont see, how facing this check-raise on the flop is any more fun. The street to fold, if you are playing the flop like this, is the turn.

G

gersom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a beginner and I would like to know ... If you were confident to go All In, why wasn't it on the turn? Wouldn't give him a chance to find this 7 from River, could he have a 5 and Straigh?

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a beginner and I would like to know ... If you were confident to go All In, why wasn't it on the turn? Wouldn't give him a chance to find this 7 from River, could he have a 5 and Straigh?

That would be an interesting line. You would have become the aggressor and had a chance to win without showdown. AQ may be the only hand that you are ahead of that calls though.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That would be an interesting line. You would have become the aggressor and had a chance to win without showdown. AQ may be the only hand that you are ahead of that calls though.

Why would AQ call a jam on the turn? He was bluffing with not even a draw, so if he got jammed on, it would pretty much be game over, and he would just have to fold.

G

gersom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I thought this way ... I would try to reduce chances of losing, leaving no room for the opponent to find some card that strengthens his hand ...

K

KateUpswing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
@tiogerson

Because of the following reasons:
1. You never get worse hands to call. Meaning that you are being denied any value from bluffing hands.
2. And if you are called, you have very bad odds or none to improve to the winning hand.
3. There are still chances that you can hit the river and win vs top pair hands. Simply gives your more options. Because top pair or top two will almost never bet the river again.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't cbet this flop and i dont understand the call down id fold the flop.