$10 NLHE 6-max: AKs hits 2-pair on Turn, villain bets 1/2 pot on a scary river. My move?

TakMits

TakMits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$10 NLHE 6-max: AKs hits 2-pair on Turn, villain bets 1/2 pot on a scary river. My move?

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 65/53/6

Hi guys,

Just to mention that villain is actually uknown, the stats is only for 17 hands.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/124trIha5

what line would you take? would you call the river?

thanks

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The river card obviously suck, because it bring a 1-liner to a straight, but against someone, who is shaping up to be a maniac, I dont think, I can lay this down. I think, he could at least be doing this with a worse two pair from time to time. As for the HUD-stats, yeah its a small sample, but 65/53 is extremely loose, so there is at least some significance to this. Maybe 10% of the time, he was just running card hot, but 90% of the time, this player will be playing far to many hands. Maybe not exactly 65%, but still to many.

TakMits

TakMits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The river card obviously suck, because it bring a 1-liner to a straight, but against someone, who is shaping up to be a maniac, I dont think, I can lay this down. I think, he could at least be doing this with a worse two pair from time to time. As for the HUD-stats, yeah its a small sample, but 65/53 is extremely loose, so there is at least some significance to this. Maybe 10% of the time, he was just running card hot, but 90% of the time, this player will be playing far to many hands. Maybe not exactly 65%, but still to many.

so you say that i should probalby call this one, right? would you play this hand differently? what line would you take in all streets flop turn river?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play it, like you did, except I might hate life and call it off on the river. For the record I dont think, it was a terrible fold though. It is one of those spots, that are close enough, that you can go both ways without making a big mistake. You will be beat here at least 50% of the time, I am just not convinced, you are beat often enough to fold considering the pot odds, he gave you.

jesuisjesus

jesuisjesus

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On flop raise to 1.1$, turn bets 80-85 % of bank, river call (1/3, 1/2 pot)
Can we go all in vs him? how many times showdown he won? How many times he bets on river vs check?

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
UTG x Spewy Villain in position

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 65/53/6

Hi guys,

Just to mention that villain is actually uknown, the stats is only for 17 hands.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/124trIha5

what line would you take? would you call the river?

thanks

Hi there TakMits, good morning, how you doing? Thank you very much for sharing your hand with the CardsChat community! Nice hand.
Without any further duo, let's take a closer look into this scenario:

One: We are not playing AK or AA in the first place. We are playing the opponent and our relative equity vs its range. Our opponent here loves to bluff postflop, so why do we care for putting chips in the middle when the Seat 4 will certainly do it?
This Villain seems very spewy, and against a player like this, I see no reason at all for making the pot grows. Yeah, people say a lot the "aggression prints money" but what they never explain is when is profitable to be passive.
In a thousands scenarios at the micros it would be more profitable to be passive than aggressive and this is one classic scenarios. (seat 4 is way too spewy)

How would I play this hand when I raise from UTG the top of my range and get two callers, one of them in position?

A) In the flop there is a nice pot for fighting for (10 blinds) and the recreational player in the SB made a ludicrous donks flop (donks flop for 1 blind). Here is the critical point of the hand, IMO:
Personally, I would never raise here with ANY PART OF MY RANGE!
If I had KK, JJ, 77, AA, KJ, AQ, A7s (that I decided to open because I saw two weak players ahead, seats 4 and 5) and specially with AK, I would simply call the 1 blind donkey and wait for the spewy player to try to bluff and buy the pot.
When I raise those weak players here, I am simply making them fold all of the trashes they would have and continue only with the best part of their ranges. (most of times)
By the same token, the Seat 4 loves to bluff, loves to vomit chips in the table and I don't care how strange it will look if I call a donks flop of 1 blind here, what I care the most is to induce the Seat 4 Villain to make even more mistakes and bluff 100% of its range, which it will probably do.

Turn:

Lol, when you raise here and get two callers, I would simply rethink the situation again, and I would not -C-Bet turn with any part of my range, again. Even if I had QT here.
My other value hands are now weak in the face of this turn. If I have now pocket aces with a set I am not comfortable because either Villain can have QT or it can have a Qx or a Tx, or two spades that could easily bluff me out of the pot.
With a particular Turn like this, I am never happy if I have KK, JJ, 77 and AA (The sets), I am never happy if I have KJ, AJ, AK, A7s (two pair).
However, although we do not have the nuts in the turn (far away from it), checking can give us the possibility of controlling the pot and not folding this very strong hand in the river. Yes, we have a strong hand, NOT THE NUTS! We should not play our strong hands as we have the nuts itself.
We can check this turn and let Seat 4 in position bluff us, so we call. If it comes a scary river such as Qx or another spade (Villain will never have too many flushes of spades here but..), as the pot geometry it is in a respectful size, we can either easily call, knowing that the player is going to bluff us a lot with worse two pair (KJ, A7, AQ, etc), seat 4 is going to float and bluff us with absolute air, any Kx, Jx, Ax, Qx that it decided to float, and once in a while, even when Seat 4 have a Tx, we can call this river because we didn't bluff turn with two pair.
Our line is very common at the micros: Bet flop/bet turn/check-river. By doing this versus a player in position, we turned a precious value hand into a complete junk. If we do either call flop, or check turn, we will have much more possibility of calling the river with our very strong value hand.
Many weak players as Seat 4 will defend that a board like that is good for bluffing and sometimes seat 4 have just air, or a small pocket pair and floated you out of the hand in a very scary river (because we bluffed a player who loves too much to bluff)
Sorry for my candor, I hope it helps you! Anything I am right here, just ask. Have a nice day! :D

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

TakMits

TakMits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there TakMits, good morning, how you doing? Thank you very much for sharing your hand with the CardsChat community! Nice hand.
Without any further duo, let's take a closer look into this scenario:

One: We are not playing AK or AA in the first place. We are playing the opponent and our relative equity vs its range. Our opponent here loves to bluff postflop, so why do we care for putting chips in the middle when the Seat 4 will certainly do it?
This Villain seems very spewy, and against a player like this, I see no reason at all for making the pot grows. Yeah, people say a lot the "aggression prints money" but what they never explain is when is profitable to be passive.
In a thousands scenarios at the micros it would be more profitable to be passive than aggressive and this is one classic scenarios. (seat 4 is way too spewy)

How would I play this hand when I raise from UTG the top of my range and get two callers, one of them in position?

A) In the flop there is a nice pot for fighting for (10 blinds) and the recreational player in the SB made a ludicrous donks flop (donks flop for 1 blind). Here is the critical point of the hand, IMO:
Personally, I would never raise here with ANY PART OF MY RANGE!
If I had KK, JJ, 77, AA, KJ, AQ, A7s (that I decided to open because I saw two weak players ahead, seats 4 and 5) and specially with AK, I would simply call the 1 blind donkey and wait for the spewy player to try to bluff and buy the pot.
When I raise those weak players here, I am simply making them fold all of the trashes they would have and continue only with the best part of their ranges. (most of times)
By the same token, the Seat 4 loves to bluff, loves to vomit chips in the table and I don't care how strange it will look if I call a donks flop of 1 blind here, what I care the most is to induce the Seat 4 Villain to make even more mistakes and bluff 100% of its range, which it will probably do.

Turn:

Lol, when you raise here and get two callers, I would simply rethink the situation again, and I would not -C-Bet turn with any part of my range, again. Even if I had QT here.
My other value hands are now weak in the face of this turn. If I have now pocket aces with a set I am not comfortable because either Villain can have QT or it can have a Qx or a Tx, or two spades that could easily bluff me out of the pot.
With a particular Turn like this, I am never happy if I have KK, JJ, 77 and AA (The sets), I am never happy if I have KJ, AJ, AK, A7s (two pair).
However, although we do not have the nuts in the turn (far away from it), checking can give us the possibility of controlling the pot and not folding this very strong hand in the river. Yes, we have a strong hand, NOT THE NUTS! We should not play our strong hands as we have the nuts itself.
We can check this turn and let Seat 4 in position bluff us, so we call. If it comes a scary river such as Qx or another spade (Villain will never have too many flushes of spades here but..), as the pot geometry it is in a respectful size, we can either easily call, knowing that the player is going to bluff us a lot with worse two pair (KJ, A7, AQ, etc), seat 4 is going to float and bluff us with absolute air, any Kx, Jx, Ax, Qx that it decided to float, and once in a while, even when Seat 4 have a Tx, we can call this river because we didn't bluff turn with two pair.
Our line is very common at the micros: Bet flop/bet turn/check-river. By doing this versus a player in position, we turned a precious value hand into a complete junk. If we do either call flop, or check turn, we will have much more possibility of calling the river with our very strong value hand.
Many weak players as Seat 4 will defend that a board like that is good for bluffing and sometimes seat 4 have just air, or a small pocket pair and floated you out of the hand in a very scary river (because we bluffed a player who loves too much to bluff)
Sorry for my candor, I hope it helps you! Anything I am right here, just ask. Have a nice day! :D

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Hi Aballinamion,

I'm fine thank you, i hope you are doing well also.

Thanks so much for your insights — I appreciate you taking the time to share these very useful informations