$10 NLHE 6-max: Aggressive with suited connectors good idea?

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 38/31/1

The villain is quite loose so I called with SC and got a nice flop. Rather than call I thought I would mix my game up and try taking down the pot with a semi bluff and on the turn my straight draw is a double gutter now so was happy to get it in.

Does this seem a good way to mix up my game or not?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (Button) ($10)
SB ($10.05)
BB ($4)
UTG ($8.85)
MP ($10.30)
CO ($7.55)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7
diamond.gif
, 9
diamond.gif

UTG bets $0.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.40, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.95) J
diamond.gif
, 8
club.gif
, 3
diamond.gif
(2 players)
UTG bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.30, UTG calls $0.80

Turn: ($3.55) 5
club.gif
(2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $2.70, ...

Total pot: $3.55 | Rake: $0.17

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, but that's a suited gapper, isn't it?

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just for fun but how many hands do you have on this guy?

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was around 30 I think. Do you mean I should only be playing hands like this for fun lol? I was very serious :(

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no lol.

I just found it odd that a player like this had a high vpip/pfr yet a low AF. I prefer using afq since it doesn't take as long to converge but whatever. Given the way his vpip/pfr are so close together but his aggression is kind of low, i'm kind of thinking that those aren't his real stats and he might be more of a tag. That being said I might either 3bet pre or fold

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't 3-betting pre waste the hand? I mean we lose implied odds if he calls and are just hoping for a fold. Might as well just bluff 3bet with trash like q3o. Hitting the right flops in position with these hands can win big pots...

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning 5.5bbs with 97s is a better then expected value for the hand. In fact thats a huge win for 97s. We win when he folds and that is what we want. Even a successful steal attempt with this hand is a win.

There are very few reasons, if any at all, to ever play Q3o 6 handed. When you 3 bet bluff you want to use hands that can flop some decent equity at least some times. Q3o flops horribly.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't 3-betting pre waste the hand? I mean we lose implied odds if he calls and are just hoping for a fold. Might as well just bluff 3bet with trash like q3o. Hitting the right flops in position with these hands can win big pots...

Winning 5.5bbs with 97s is a better then expected value for the hand. In fact thats a huge win for 97s. We win when he folds and that is what we want. Even a successful steal attempt with this hand is a win.

There are very few reasons, if any at all, to ever play Q3o 6 handed. When you 3 bet bluff you want to use hands that can flop some decent equity at least some times. Q3o flops horribly.

brank is right. There is no value preflop with 97s if some raises because a lot of the time we won't hit and they have us beat. If we can 3bet bluff and take it down, that's awesome

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no point in betting that turn, nothing has changed between the flop and the turn.

You have 9high + a draw so you are not value betting.

As the turn dosent change anything, you are not bluffing either as your fold equity is low.

Simply check and try and hit.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would probably 3bet pre.

The only reason to 3bet this hand preflop is if he folds or 4bets against 3bets.

His stats suggest he would call a lot.

He is also UTG where his range should be at its strongest and therefore he is less likely to be folding.

Therefore a call in position is better. THe other thing to consider is the blinds.. are they likely to call if you call too?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
brank is right. There is no value preflop with 97s if some raises because a lot of the time we won't hit and they have us beat. If we can 3bet bluff and take it down, that's awesome

The value comes from them not folding when we hit plus getting the pot to go MW.

We dont want to call if blinds are likely to squeeze or unlikely to call.

We do want to call if the opposite is true.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only reason to 3bet this hand preflop is if he folds or 4bets against 3bets.

His stats suggest he would call a lot.

do you find this guys stats kind of funny? I've mentioned that his vpip and pfr and pretty close together which suggests that he may know what he's doing. However despite his vpip and pfr being so high, his AF is low(not sure of this). Idk kind of weird to me

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Goofy stats. I'd probably just play nitty and take him to value-town.

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen plenty of donks with these stats that raise lots of hand pf then shut down postflop...