Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/1q9FN6W

UTG: $10.10 (101 bb)
MP: $10.15 (102 bb)
CO: $13.19 (132 bb)
BU (Hero): $11.87 (119 bb)
SB: $11.15 (112 bb)
BB: $10.09 (101 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with J♥ A♥
3 players fold, Hero raises to $0.30, SB 3-bets to $1, 1 fold, Hero 4-bets to $1.70, SB 5-bets to $4, Hero calls $2.30

Flop: ($8.10) 4♦ 3♣ 5♠ (2 players)
SB bets $4.05, Hero raises to $7.87 (all-in), SB calls $3.10 (all-in)

Turn: ($22.40) 7♦ (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($22.40) T♦ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $22.40 (Rake: $1.12)

Showdown:
BU (Hero) shows J♥ A♥ (high card, Ace)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 20%, Turn: 16%, River: 0%)

SB shows Q♣ A♣ (high card, Ace - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 71%, Flop: 80%, Turn: 84%, River: 100%)

SB wins $21.28

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for not showing player names!

Preflop: Raise is fine. When reraised (assuming opponent is capable) we have to think we are either...
1) getting 3-bet light as a bluff
2) getting 3-bet with a good hand (SB vs a BTN raise 3-bet for value range range might be JJ+, AT+ KJs+) for value

So... when you 4-bet, what changes about our opponents range?
He (especially at this level) will fold all his bluffs, and continues with his premium/value hands. For that reason, you flat call his 3-bet. He could be 3-betting you with KJ, or even JTs. Flat calling keeps you way ahead of his range.

I would like to hear other's opinions on this preflop stuff though!

As played, fold the flop. You went all-in... he is never folding there as he is basically pot-committed. Any chance of him calling an all-in with worse than AJ?

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if im 4 betting here, i'd make it bigger at least 3$ & fold to a shove
as played, flop is a fold for me
i cant see any reason to continue there, unless SB have tendencies to 5 bets ATC

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, that click-it-back 4-bet is really fishy. Its hardly for value with AJs, and he is never folding, when you are giving him such amazing odds. So what is this even for? Just keeping the betting lead? That is not enough reason to 4-bet, so just call that 3-bet and take a flop in position.

One of the problems with 4-betting is, that you open the door for him to 5-bet. Getting more than 1/3 of your stack in with AJs is pretty bad, and so is stacking off on the flop. Sure you flopped a gutshot, but a lot of his range is AX as well, so the gutshot does not give you all that much equity.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You are not folding out anything since he has so much invested in the pot already, so you are not bluffing him away and are probably never betting for value.

Same thing pre-flop; are you bluffing or betting for value? Hardly for value so why bluff with such a playable hand?

I guess against a total maniac you could try to get it in with AJs for value. But it seems the maniac is maybe you?

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed with most, I'm flatting the 3bet. If I flatted, I would considering floating a 1/2 pot or less bet in position there. In these games, guys 3bet so much Kx and lower connecting hands...heck even worse Ax as bluffs....you'll be ahead a decent amount of the time with AJ.

Now as played, easy fold on the flop. He pot commited himself and his 5 bet firmly puts him way ahead of you. The 4 bet really isn't THAT bad, calling the 5 bet is the worst play of the hand. I'm actually a bit surprised he only had AQ suited, that's probably the bottom of his 5bet range. AQs, AK, JJ+.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your 4 bet sizing and flop play firmly marks you as a beginner playing at stakes above your skill level.
AJs is basically never a 4bet hand in position. You should 4bet in a polarised fashion including very strong and a few weaker hands. Thus if you get 5 bet you gii with the strong hands and easy fold your bluffs. AJs is not normally a gii hand preflop thus its usually a call of the preflop 3bet or fold depending on how tight the raiser is.
As regards 4bet sizing, it would normally be in the range of 22/24 big blinds so you get about a quarter of your stack in at that point. Your 4 bet sizing was way to small and basically achieves nothing other than flagging you as not knowing what you are doing.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just call his 3bet pre and go from there.. as played fold to the 5bet or on the flop (preferably to 5bet)

thylmanoid

thylmanoid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call 3-Bet.
Fold flop.
What you were doing was gambling. Seems like you were on tilt.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is too aggressive a game, it's better to just call preflop. Need more information about your opponent to determine his range, but I think the best solution on the flop is to fold, as the villain could easily catch the set.