$10 NLHE 6-max: 99 vs. 4b OOP

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain on BTN is relative unknown. I guess we can make a general assumption that he's probably on the fishy size since he isn't topping off his stack.

So what is our game plan preflop? The UTG is a 42/3 player so maybe calling his min raise preflop is a better strategy than 3 betting.

When we are 4 bet maybe this is an easy fold (I did end up calling). We aren't really getting odds to set mine and will be OOP postflop. If anyone does call what is our strategy on a flop with 1 over vs. a flop with all under cards?

Looking to hear other players' thoughts on this situation.

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (CO): 191.6 BB
BTN: 86.1 BB
SB: 197.1 BB
BB: 201 BB
UTG: 77.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9 9

UTG raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 7.5 BB, BTN raises to 18 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero....

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold here. Stacks are pretty deep I made a raise and got information that he is strong. Of course he might hold AK in which case I should call but all other hands from his range are better pairs. Save the stack for later.

Calling in theory should be good option (nice pot odds) but in reality I wil face a continuation bet out of position with overcards on the board and only set saves me.

In would fight with a hand like JJ but 99 seems a bit too low.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling a 4 bet OOP with 99 is very marginal, without some good reads on your opponent.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Passive UTG raising - it maybe decent range. BTN 4b - definetly strong range. I would fold.
I would just call initial bet for set mine.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTN 4bet strong range but i will call to see a flop for the set. GL

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BTN 4bet strong range but i will call to see a flop for the set. GL

When I reviewed and calculated it out I was using the 15:1 rule for set mining and thought it was too marginal here as others have said. Odds of hitting a set are actually 7.5:1

Am I being to strict with this 15:1 rule?

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
btn range is too strong I will just fold

we are only good if we hit set, if the flop comes with no over card we still don't know if we are ahead

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont call a 4bet with 99,dont have the odds to set mine and would not be confortable at any flop even a rag flop iff he fires 2 barrels will be uncorfortavle call.
Iff the 4beter is a very agro or maniac u can muve all in and hope for a flip. But why play a flip agaist some one u can outplay in the future?

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I reviewed and calculated it out I was using the 15:1 rule for set mining and thought it was too marginal here as others have said. Odds of hitting a set are actually 7.5:1

Am I being to strict with this 15:1 rule?
depending on vilain i use 10:1 or 20:1. Iff some one is too nith them he has the premiuns more ofthen and when u hit the set iff very likelly that u are going to stack him. Iff is very louse and agro he will have a lot off garbage hands that will fold.
Hitting a set migh be 7,5:1 but thoes not means that u are going to win,thats why it is use 10 to 20 rules.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against a 42/3 I would prefer to just call preflop. A player like this might sometimes mix it up and mini-raise rather than limp, so I dont think, this is always going to be exactly top 3% of hands. But even so this guy has been extremely passive preflop, and this time he did raise, so I would tend to give this a bit more respect, than if say a 62/36 miniraised UTG.

Trying to see a cheap flop with 99 in position seems like the best play here. If someone behind comes along, its not ideal, but its not the end of the world either. We can profitably setmine, and unless its BTN, we will have position, so we can also realise at least some of the showdown value of our pair.

Instead however BTN puts in a cold 4-bet, and now I would just fold. Very few players in the micros ever make a cold 4-bet as a bluff, 99 is crushed by his value range, you have terrible reverse implied odds on low flops like T42 or 733, and you are not deep enough to setmine. You even have some reverse implied odds on flops like A92 or KQ9, because a fairly significant part of his stack off range will be better sets.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Villain on BTN is relative unknown. I guess we can make a general assumption that he's probably on the fishy size since he isn't topping off his stack.

So what is our game plan preflop? The UTG is a 42/3 player so maybe calling his min raise preflop is a better strategy than 3 betting.

When we are 4 bet maybe this is an easy fold (I did end up calling). We aren't really getting odds to set mine and will be OOP postflop. If anyone does call what is our strategy on a flop with 1 over vs. a flop with all under cards?

Looking to hear other players' thoughts on this situation.

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (CO): 191.6 BB
BTN: 86.1 BB
SB: 197.1 BB
BB: 201 BB
UTG: 77.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9 9

UTG raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 7.5 BB, BTN raises to 18 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero....

IF UTG calls, we are in always. If UTG folds, we need to consider a few things because we are going to play out of position.

The sole purpose of the Cash Games is to play in position versus recreational players, so we can let ourselves out of this poor excuse that we did something because our adversary was a 'fish', not because we have position.

Considering we are out of position, a good ratio, for me, would be to be calling down 50% of times, to fold to a lot of flop aggression and to fold 50% of times.

Now, how can I decide the ration between folding and calling? The Stack sizing of my opponent + the sizing of the 3-bet.

Opponent Stack Sizing: broken (OK)
Opponent 3-bet sizing: decent 2.4x (OK)

So, for this particular case I am calling down this 3-bet preflop, only to see a flop.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we don't have notes for the aggressor, it's better to roll 99.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation you don't have call as option. Like 99% fold and 1% 5bet-shove. Even vs 100bb stack you can't call. Must be with some "very special" info. "He have AK and he check-back OTF, when missed".
Vs pasive fish just call vs min raise, don't 3bet. However, it is pretty standard 3bet vs min raise UTG. 88 is a call...