Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with 9 8
Hero raises to $0.30, 4 players fold, BB 3-bets to $0.95, Hero calls $0.65

Flop: ($1.95) 8 3 4 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.63, BB calls $0.63

Turn: ($3.21) K (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($3.21) 9 (2 players)
BB bets $4.50, Hero calls $4.50

The only information I have about the Villain is that he is marked as a Fish.

Preflop: I think the call is ok here?

Flop: I saw a bet here with my top pair against his 3bet range.

Turn: After his call on the flop I think I have no bet after the overcard here.
AKo with A and K clubs calls the flop.

River: I am out of my depth here and have 2-pair but what am I hitting here? There are some combos that I beat but also enough that beat me.

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

UTG (Hero): $10.00 (100 bb)
MP: $11.61 (116 bb)
CO: $14.59 (146 bb)
BU: $13.40 (134 bb)
SB: $18.10 (181 bb)
BB: $17.02 (170 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with 9 8
Hero raises to $0.30, 4 players fold, BB 3-bets to $0.95, Hero calls $0.65

Flop: ($1.95) 8 3 4 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.63, BB calls $0.63

Turn: ($3.21) K (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($3.21) 9 (2 players)
BB bets $4.50, Hero calls $4.50
PF: First point, usually I would say fold to a 3bet utg with 98s, since it just works horribly against strong 3bet ranges since when it does connect with the board, lets say Q J 10, then the other guy could have AK. And when you make two pairs, the other guy could make a straight. Its one of those hands that are to closely connected with his range, which is why lower suited connectors are better as a call vs 3bets BUT he makes the 3bet so small so your call is perfect.

Flop: Monotone boards are just so ifffyyyyy. But I don't mind the small cbet, but this is also a fine board to check on. He has all the nutted flushed / flush draws in his range. If you do cbet, know that he has some piece of it, and make sure to play the turn accordingly. But the cbet is good to get broadsways away from the hand, so I like the cbet. You also have all the sets here.

Turn:
Good check man. Perfect.

River:
Disgusting overbet essentially making your hand into a bluff catcher.
So he can have Kings and flushes essentially. More afraid of flushes obviously.
He could also be a fish betting AK. I think I would lead more to a fold, but I think its pretty close. Maybe he does this with the AKo with Ace of spades?
Since he is a fish I would lead more to calling. Maybe he has aces with the club, trying to get value from Kx hands?
But like I said, its close. If you expect him to play normal poker, then this is a bluff catch.
If you expect him to overvalue top pairs, then you can call here, but that looks like a flush all day. He wants value from the hand, you checked the turn after a small cbet on the flop. If he meant to bluff, he wouldn't even need to make it big lol. So its value, question is, how big is his value?

AK with 1 club, Aces with 1 club. Kings with a club.
Then you have all the flushes.
A5, AJ - AK.
KQs. QJs probably just calls.
So its pretty 50 / 50.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PF: First point, usually I would say fold to a 3bet utg with 98s, since it just works horribly against strong 3bet ranges since when it does connect with the board, lets say Q J 10, then the other guy could have AK. And when you make two pairs, the other guy could make a straight. Its one of those hands that are to closely connected with his range, which is why lower suited connectors are better as a call vs 3bets BUT he makes the 3bet so small so your call is perfect.

Flop: Monotone boards are just so ifffyyyyy. But I don't mind the small cbet, but this is also a fine board to check on. He has all the nutted flushed / flush draws in his range. If you do cbet, know that he has some piece of it, and make sure to play the turn accordingly. But the cbet is good to get broadsways away from the hand, so I like the cbet. You also have all the sets here.

Turn:
Good check man. Perfect.

River:
He could also be a fish betting AK. I think I would lead more to a fold, but I think its pretty close. Maybe he does this with the AKo with Ace of spades?
Since he is a fish I would lead more to calling. Maybe he has aces with the club, trying to get value from Kx hands?
But like I said, its close. If you expect him to play normal poker, then this is a bluff catch.
If you expect him to overvalue top pairs, then you can call here, but that looks like a flush all day. He wants value from the hand, you checked the turn after a small cbet on the flop. If he meant to bluff, he wouldn't even need to make it big lol. So its value, question is, how big is his value?

A5, AJ - AK.
So its pretty 50 / 50.

I’m not sure what would be considered normal poker, if he shows up on the river with a flush I find his line very odd and would take notes. I would think its more likely he backed into a set OTR with 99 but we block 99 so only 1 combo. I’ve noticed lately its easier to know what to do in these spots when I pay good attention to recent previous hands, some players attack check back ranges very frequently while others do not. I’m not sure what I would do on the river I would hope to have some sort of reads on opponent player type to help make the decision but I think 98s OTF is not strong enough to bet I would probrably check flop.

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Turn:
Good check man. Perfect.

River:

A5, AJ - AK.
So its pretty 50 / 50.

Flop: If I have all the sets here, why should I bet on his check being so small? That would be strange.

River: I saw in his hand range here some AK combos and AA/KK played carefully. I mean how often does someone get their flush on the flop right away?

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m not sure what would be considered normal poker, if he shows up on the river with a flush I find his line very odd and would take notes. I would think its more likely he backed into a set OTR with 99 but we block 99 so only 1 combo. I’ve noticed lately its easier to know what to do in these spots when I pay good attention to recent previous hands, some players attack check back ranges very frequently while others do not. I’m not sure what I would do on the river I would hope to have some sort of reads on opponent player type to help make the decision but I think 98s OTF is not strong enough to bet I would probrably check flop.

The thing is, if you play the flop check behind, you give up almost immediately and the turn is also a fold after your bet. But maybe that's just right because the hand isn't really strong in a 3bet pot on the flop.

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you have all the sets here, but you don't have all the nuts. Big difference.
I don't think you should be betting big with range considering that, you should be betting polarised, but also your hand is very vulnurble even against hands that missed the flop. You want to get rid of the non flush drawed broadways since they realise their equity otherwise, and he should never be reraising with those.

You aren't getting him to fold with the Ace / King flush draw anything, and if he has a pocket pair with any one of those cards you risk getting reraised. So even if you have the sets in your range, you don't have more nuts. And you don't want to get reraised with a set here. So for that reason, you should be betting small here. Unless you have a low flush that is often beat if one more club comes. That is pretty much the only reason why you would bet big here. That and then you can add a few bluffs / semi bluffs to go along with those few combos.

So essentially you achieve what you want with a small cbet, and you protect your range. Your hand is so difficult to play if you get reraised, and you don't want this to be a big pot. You did bet small, so I think you played the flop fine.

River: Not often, but it does happen. His river bet is supposed to be polarised, so it should be either Kings a flush or nothing. Like I said, I think its a 50/50 call. More info on villain maybe it goes more one way.

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would you 3bet utg with 99? I find that weird tbh. Think Kings, Flushes or bluff here. But it is possible he hit it, who knows. Looks suspicious either way.

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you have all the sets here, but you don't have all the nuts. Big difference.
I don't think you should be betting big with range considering that, you should be betting polarised, but also your hand is very vulnurble even against hands that missed the flop. You want to get rid of the non flush drawed broadways since they realise their equity otherwise, and he should never be reraising with those.

You aren't getting him to fold with the Ace / King flush draw anything, and if he has a pocket pair with any one of those cards you risk getting reraised. So even if you have the sets in your range, you don't have more nuts. And you don't want to get reraised with a set here. So for that reason, you should be betting small here. Unless you have a low flush that is often beat if one more club comes. That is pretty much the only reason why you would bet big here. That and then you can add a few bluffs / semi bluffs to go along with those few combos.

So essentially you achieve what you want with a small cbet, and you protect your range. Your hand is so difficult to play if you get reraised, and you don't want this to be a big pot. You did bet small, so I think you played the flop fine.

River: Not often, but it does happen. His river bet is supposed to be polarised, so it should be either Kings a flush or nothing. Like I said, I think its a 50/50 call. More info on villain maybe it goes more one way.

Yes, thank you again for your effort.