Td 6d 3s
Hero bets 7bb
Villain calls

Turn (pot 27bb)
Th
Hero checks
Villain bets 20bb
Hero folds

I 3bet the SB here because my preflop hand chart says to do it (maybe it's some GTO thing)
I'm pretty sure I made a mistake by c-betting the flop with nothing.
As played, I'm wondering if I should raise the turn and represent a T. Although he's probably still continuing with all his draws.

Thank you for any insight.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're in the worst position with a mediocre hand. There's no need to put more money into it. If you just call preflop, you can get away a lot cheaper on the flop.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the previous poster. You also don't need to blow the pot up out of position with a marginal hand. A small ball strategy of just calling, and folding to a raise would've been the better line.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow...you should probably try to understand the reasoning behind your preflop chart suggestions before just doing them like an automaton. If you don't know why you're 3 betting A2s, maybe don't do it until you understand why.

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow...you should probably try to understand the reasoning behind your preflop chart suggestions before just doing them like an automaton. If you don't know why you're 3 betting A2s, maybe don't do it until you understand why.

Yeah, you're probably right, although following those charts helped my game a lot when I first started doing it. I wonder if I need to make my own charts.

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're in the worst position with a mediocre hand. There's no need to put more money into it. If you just call preflop, you can get away a lot cheaper on the flop.

I agree with the previous poster. You also don't need to blow the pot up out of position with a marginal hand. A small ball strategy of just calling, and folding to a raise would've been the better line.

Yeah I think you guys are right. Thanks for the response.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
subscribing as I'm planning on commenting on this in near future.
This is actually a GOOD spot to 3-bet light here with AXs in SB. I'd also continue on the flop here 100% of the time! (table dynamics, history & player reads obviously are key)

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I don't think 3-betting light here is bad at all. It really depends on villain and how often he raises the button. I would 3 bet slightly larger though.

That being said, A2s is probably ahead of villains range. This is why others are suggesting just a call pre. Its cheap, see if you like the flop, then act.

As played He has a lot of Tens in his button raising range (JT, QT, KT, T9, T8) . I think the flop bet is marginal, but when he calls you f]definitely got to give it up. Lots of better spots.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded that hand unless I had some information from the villain that indicated otherwise, but after 3bet the c-bet is not bad I would have done exactly the same, especially with that board

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, this is fine except for the sizing of you 3-bet. You want folds, and when you go to less than 3 X his raise, you make it profitable for him to call you in position with nearly his entire range. I would make this 8BB or even 9BB. I am sure you will see a huge difference in his continuence frequenzy, if you go bigger, and even when you still get called, you have a decent hand with at least some equity and playability.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with fundiver over most other posters. It's fine to have A2s in your 3bet range, but you want to go bigger as you prefer folds. Regardless of the sizing, I think I'm still firing a cbet of relatively similar size and giving up if he calls. My reasoning is you have absolutely nothing with very little hope of improving, taking one stab will fold a good chunk of his range and you know to absolutely give up if he continues. If that 6d was instead 5h, I'd be more inclined to check/call as you have a gutter and backdoor nut hearts. A check/call could represent a smaller pair or AK/AQ. You could then opt to check/raise a heart on the turn or if you complete the wheel.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just as a quick addition his raise was incredibly small - just over a mini-raise. Typically that imply an extra wide stealing range, and some players might even use a split strategy, where they raise bigger with their good hands but mini-raise their marginal hands. For that reason we should tend to 3-bet more against these very small raises, than we would against a larger raise.

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
subscribing as I'm planning on commenting on this in near future.
This is actually a GOOD spot to 3-bet light here with AXs in SB. I'd also continue on the flop here 100% of the time! (table dynamics, history & player reads obviously are key)

If you see this Poker Orifice, I'm still interested in hearing your thoughts.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars