Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

UTG: $2.78 (28 bb)
MP: $9.16 (92 bb)
CO: $12.42 (124 bb)
BU: $13.89 (139 bb)
SB: $13.44 (134 bb)
BB (Hero): $10.10 (101 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with A J
1 fold, MP raises to $0.20, 3 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.90, MP calls $0.70

Flop: ($1.85) T 9 Q (2 players)
Hero bets $0.90, MP calls $0.90

Turn: ($3.65) 7 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets $3.65, BB (Hero) folds

Villain is obviously a fish.
So the question: Is 3bet in BB with AJs against MP min-raise ok or too loose against a fish?
Flop: I didn't know how much to bet here exactly.
Turn: Check or bet?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

UTG: $2.78 (28 bb)
MP: $9.16 (92 bb)
CO: $12.42 (124 bb)
BU: $13.89 (139 bb)
SB: $13.44 (134 bb)
BB (Hero): $10.10 (101 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with A J
1 fold, MP raises to $0.20, 3 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.90, MP calls $0.70

Flop: ($1.85) T 9 Q (2 players)
Hero bets $0.90, MP calls $0.90

Turn: ($3.65) 7 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets $3.65, BB (Hero) folds

Villain is obviously a fish.
So the question: Is 3bet in BB with AJs against MP min-raise ok or too loose against a fish?
Flop: I didn't know how much to bet here exactly.
Turn: Check or bet?

Thank you for posting

Preflop 3-bet 100% decide if 4 bet.

Flop this is where ranges comes into play.

We 3 bet BB GTO range we have AA-TT we have suited 2 pair combos as well QT Q9 so we do hit this board and we do have the nuts KJs for a 3 bet here.

V hits this board as well when they call our 3 bet QQ TT 99 KJs-Ts AQs-Ts

So holding the AJs our V has a very strong nut advantage vs our hand- when they do we want to bet smaller to not build the pot- we do want to bet as we have outs-open ended straight draw to the A high straight- a backdoor and an over card to the Q and are a head of several drawing hands but we are not expecting a lot of folds here so we bet smaller with range intending to bet turn larger on blanks with value and bluffs.
Smaller is 25% pot- we would bet this with KJ on this flop based on targeting the 3-bet call range so we also bet the AJ that size.

Turn -in games where we are playing less skilled players we use the bet fold not the check fold. Weak players will pot 1 pair hands there as well as the nuts and some draws when we check but will most frequently only pot the nuts on the turn when we lead again.
So we bet 10% pot turn fold to the pot size raise trying to get to see that las card because we can still make the nuts

Studying ranges in this spot to identify who has the nut advantage will let you no what sizing to use for value and bluffs when you are OOP in 3 bet pots.

Hope this helps
:):)

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your answer and your effort!

I think preflop the villain would min-raise these hands from MP and call against my 3bet.

Equity Win Tie
MP2 57.77% 54.73% 3.05% { AsJs }
MP3 42.23% 39.18% 3.05% { JJ-22, AJs-A2s, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 76s, 65s, AQo-AJo, KJo+ }

Maybe you can answer me here how realistic his calling handrange is against my 3bet here.

Thanks!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe you can answer me here how realistic his calling handrange is against my 3bet here.

Thanks!

You would have a better idea... you were sitting at the table with them.

When we're talking about ranges, it makes a HUGE difference with what type of player we're in against. Thinking that they'll be raise/folding, raise/calling a 3B, calling a CB, etc. etc. with even remotely correct ranges can cost you dearly.
In lower limits you're best to be trying to exploit the fish.

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would have a better idea... you were sitting at the table with them.

When we're talking about ranges, it makes a HUGE difference with what type of player we're in against. Thinking that they'll be raise/folding, raise/calling a 3B, calling a CB, etc. etc. with even remotely correct ranges can cost you dearly.
In lower limits you're best to be trying to exploit the fish.

Thanks first of all for your answer.
I would say the villain was a Fish.
Unfortunately, I did not have more information.
Nevertheless, I have to give the opponent a hand range to have a certain estimate or not?

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks first of all for your answer.
I would say the villain was a Fish.
Unfortunately, I did not have more information.
Nevertheless, I have to give the opponent a hand range to have a certain estimate or not?

I slightly disagree with Poker Orifice's approach of going straight for the exploit. I think you should look at what the appropriate responses are in each situation to form your baseline and then vary your strategy from there based on what you know from villain. However I do think that he is right in saying that not exploiting will cost you a lot of money, I just think it's important to have a baseline strategy from which to work before adding exploits.

So far as the hand, I think AJs is going to be a pretty high frequency 3-Bet here, His min raise does make us slightly less incentivized to 3-Bet as we are winning less when he folds but our hand should still be strong enough to make it into our 3-Betting range. Also I like your sizing, 4x is often used but 5x does more to shrink the SPR ratio enabling us to play for stacks with our stronger range overall and you kinda went in the middle there which I think is a good play vs the min raise. I would note that most players at low stakes overfold to 3-Bets in my observations, so we should keep that in mind on the flop.

Given how you got to see villains cards, if it's a combo you think that he shouldn't have, take a look in something like flopzilla and see what other hands he might have and how that would alter your strategy as a future exploit against players with similar tendencies to him.

I usually don't really comment much on strategy because I don't feel I'm good enough to do so, but I recommend you look at something like GTOWizard and see how the hand plays out given their set parameters, I think you get one free spot to look at a day. Just keep in mind you'll need to close whatever client you play on before you open GTOWiz up

Hope this helps, I saw you had a few more recent posts, I'll try to get to a few more of your post in depth with some GTOW review but I usually have a poker client open when I'm at my computer

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your effort!
Do you think you can also just because they overfolden preflop play more often 3bet?
Yes with equilab I had already looked inside as far as I know.
Unfortunately I do not know where I have to look in GTOWizard what you have recommended to me.