Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

UTG: $35.13 (351 bb)
MP: $12.00 (120 bb)
CO: $15.80 (158 bb)
BU (Hero): $13.62 (136 bb)
SB: $10.15 (102 bb)
BB: $8.04 (80 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with 6 7
2 players fold, CO raises to $0.25, Hero 3-bets to $0.90, 2 players fold, CO calls $0.65

Flop: ($1.95) 5 4 Q (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $1.06, CO calls $1.06

Turn: ($4.07) 7 (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $2.90, CO raises to $12.50, BU (Hero) folds

Preflop: Do I have a 3bet IP vs CO here? Villain is probably not a fish.

Flop: So does an OESD have a bet standard?

Turn: Check or bet? I have now hit 7 in addition to my OESD. Vs FD I am now in front.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's kinda personal preference. Some people include all suited connectors as low as 76s as a late position 3-bet for their baseline strategy, but almost never at a 100% frequency. The reason why you would want to do that against other regs is board coverage, but 3-betting them all the time gets a bit too crazy. If CO opens too wide for whatever reason all suited connectors make great 3-bet bluff candidates and 3-betting them pure as an exploit is probably best.

Your range hits the board fairly well, but also not amazingly well. I don't think you have a range bet here but you're still betting the majority of the time. Considering the SPR is pretty low and you're supposed to bet quite a lot, sizing down a bit is probably best. Checking is out of the question because 76s is for sure your best bluff combo because it has literally 0 showdown value if you miss and still has a lot of equity behind.

Turn: Check or bet? I have now hit 7 in addition to my OESD. Vs FD I am now in front.
Picking up the pair is super awkward. You're definitely not ahead against the value part of villain's continuing range though. However, given you picked up some showdown value, AXs with the flush draw are probably better bluff candidates and I think you're slightly overbluffing by also including 7h6h. Unless you think this is a value bet in which case I think that's also a bad idea. I like check/calling facing any reasonable sizing best.

As played, I really don't know. You have a bluff catcher, but you don't block any of villain's value range. Might be the OESD is strong enough to make the call, but against an overall value skewed raising range that most of the population plays I guess folding is also fine.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 3 bet pf is probably fine vs most players.

Standard these days seems to be much smaller cbets, so maybe 1/3 pot on the flop with your OESD.

On the turn, the 7 compromises your hand, as if you make the straight now, there will be 4 to a straight on the board, making it harder to get value. At this point, as per Baluga Whale, I don't mind checking behind.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we assume V is not a fish, his range includes various types of hands in which case it is better to 3-bet against this opponent to seek fold equity. Otherwise folding is the other option. Since the blinds are still to be spoken and if we go to an MWP we are close to the bottom of our call range. If you make cold call your image is tight for the table and you expect the blinds to fold much of the time.
The flop bet is correct, with that size you can represent top pair and protect your range. And if you had good kickers, you would want your villain to call with weaker hands like 99 or TT that have not been encouraged to 4-bet preflop. But it's also good to deny some equity to all the small flush draws that V could have from CO.
On the turn you need to check a good deal of the time. What hands are you winning? I'm not saying you're in bad shape, as I think your pair of 7s could make for an interesting bluff catcher, because you don't block any flush draw.
My question is because you thought V was not a fish. If V is a proficient player now he has more hands to bluff and he will fold with the worst hands. So it is better to check the turn and assess the situation when V make a donk bet.
Greetings.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

UTG: $35.13 (351 bb)
MP: $12.00 (120 bb)
CO: $15.80 (158 bb)
BU (Hero): $13.62 (136 bb)
SB: $10.15 (102 bb)
BB: $8.04 (80 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with 6 7
2 players fold, CO raises to $0.25, Hero 3-bets to $0.90, 2 players fold, CO calls $0.65

Flop: ($1.95) 5 4 Q (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $1.06, CO calls $1.06

Turn: ($4.07) 7 (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $2.90, CO raises to $12.50, BU (Hero) folds

Sure your ahead of FD but what about the rest of his range? When you have a decent hand you want to play in a manner that doesn’t get you blown off your equity. This is a prime example of why to check a hand that has decent equity but would have to fold to a shove.

The sizings in the hand are way too big imo, in 3-bet pots OTF you can bet small like 25% pot even. With half pot being a big bet. OTT same type of thing you don’t need big bets with small SPR as you still create fold equity with the smaller sizings but bluffs are also cheaper.

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's kinda personal preference. Some people include all suited connectors as low as 76s as a late position 3-bet for their baseline strategy, but almost never at a 100% frequency. The reason why you would want to do that against other regs is board coverage, but 3-betting them all the time gets a bit too crazy. If CO opens too wide for whatever reason all suited connectors make great 3-bet bluff candidates and 3-betting them pure as an exploit is probably best.

Your range hits the board fairly well, but also not amazingly well. I don't think you have a range bet here but you're still betting the majority of the time. Considering the SPR is pretty low and you're supposed to bet quite a lot, sizing down a bit is probably best. Checking is out of the question because 76s is for sure your best bluff combo because it has literally 0 showdown value if you miss and still has a lot of equity behind.

Picking up the pair is super awkward. You're definitely not ahead against the value part of villain's continuing range though. However, given you picked up some showdown value, AXs with the flush draw are probably better bluff candidates and I think you're slightly overbluffing by also including 7h6h. Unless you think this is a value bet in which case I think that's also a bad idea. I like check/calling facing any reasonable sizing best.

As played, I really don't know. You have a bluff catcher, but you don't block any of villain's value range. Might be the OESD is strong enough to make the call, but against an overall value skewed raising range that most of the population plays I guess folding is also fine.

VS UTG/MP 76s 3bet is probably a different spot then? but against CO you say you can put in good 3bet bluff?

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
VS UTG/MP 76s 3bet is probably a different spot then? but against CO you say you can put in good 3bet bluff?

Pretty much yes. Every 3-bet range facing a single opponent is based on how many players are left to act and the range the RFI player is playing. Given that 90% of the players are positionally aware (i.e. open progressively more hands in later positions), and the number of players left to act decreases you can in turn also open up a bit in those situations.

I would highly recommend taking the time to memorise or at least approximate your baseline 3-bet strategy for the most important situations. Start with something like SB vs BU RFI, BU vs CO RFI because those are the positions that occur most frequently. After that study LP vs MP RFI, LP vs EP RFI etc. You don't really need to go any deeper than that because the difference in range facing UTG RFI or HJ RFI is something like two or three combo's that are already (almost) indifferent between 3-betting or folding. Of course, if you want to go deeper by all means but it's probably not worth it given the time investment.

EDIT: Learning a theoretically sound baseline strategy also improves your exploitative play because you know which hands are edge cases where you can either over-fold against nitty players, or open up against loose players.

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much yes. Every 3-bet range facing a single opponent is based on how many players are left to act and the range the RFI player is playing. Given that 90% of the players are positionally aware (i.e. open progressively more hands in later positions), and the number of players left to act decreases you can in turn also open up a bit in those situations.

I would highly recommend taking the time to memorise or at least approximate your baseline 3-bet strategy for the most important situations. Start with something like SB vs BU RFI, BU vs CO RFI because those are the positions that occur most frequently. After that study LP vs MP RFI, LP vs EP RFI etc. You don't really need to go any deeper than that because the difference in range facing UTG RFI or HJ RFI is something like two or three combo's that are already (almost) indifferent between 3-betting or folding. Of course, if you want to go deeper by all means but it's probably not worth it given the time investment.

EDIT: Learning a theoretically sound baseline strategy also improves your exploitative play because you know which hands are edge cases where you can either over-fold against nitty players, or open up against loose players.

And how should I best improve my 3bet range study for the 2 positions? SB VS BU and BU VS CO.
I partly stick to pokersnowie 3bet ranges.
And what I have just learned over the long time.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And how should I best improve my 3bet range study for the 2 positions? SB VS BU and BU VS CO.
I partly stick to pokersnowie 3bet ranges.
And what I have just learned over the long time.

GTO wizard published (EDIT: free) solved pre-flop ranges so that would be a good place to start. There's some mixing going on though so I guess it's easier to slightly modify the solved ranges so you can play a pure strategy with each combo. That's exactly the same process that online courses go through that try to sell you pre-flop charts.

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you. Where exactly can I practice this? There are a lot of possible settings.