$10 NLHE 6-max: 3 handed 3-bet

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any feedback welcome, but I am primarily interested in learning how to respond to 3-bets short handed, and how to get it all-in with a good hand.

Hero - BTN - $8.92
--------SB - $14.78
Villain BB - $9.62

Hero Raises BTN to 0.20 with 9d Th. SB folds, Villain raises to $0.65. Hero Calls.

Flop:
Ks 9c Tc

Pot is $1.28. Villain bets $1.28, Hero calls.

Turn:
Ks 9c Tc 3h
Pot is $3.70.Villain bets out $3.70, Hero raises all-in ($6.99). Villain calls.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm raising right away on that flop. You're going to be ahead most of the time, but there are too many bad cards to just call flop. As played, 3h is a good turn for you... so yes jam it in turn and hope he has AK.

I just noticed that you raised and he 3bet. I think you want to be sizing up your initial raise a bit. You also maybe should have folded that hand pre, but it's not that bad considering you have position and villain will be raising wide. The 3bet if anything makes it that much more likely that you're way ahead here. I guess he might have kk, but top set almost always checks in my experience.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise on the flop. Imo...Or raise-shove. He will fold very rare. I can't see any mistake. Maybe you must fold vs 3bet. If he is not so loose. Borderline call...But if he is aggressive, you can't fold this. Vs this size...Yeah, the bottom, but still you can't fold.
Well played... 3 handed, I will play more from every position. From BTN maybe 65% as default. Can be 45%, can be ATC. With info....

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Shorthanded you will have to play more cards PF and it doesn't get much shorter than 3-handed so you generally can't fold SCs to a normal 3-bet.

If it's a player that bluffs or bet his weak hands strong you can of course just call the turn in position.

Going for all your stack with less than top two pair is just about borderline for me against three big bets on this board. But to call the turn and fold to a river bet is hard with so little money left.

On the other hand if it is a tight player that doesn't bluff much it is hard to see what value hands he has on this board that you beat other than AA,AK and maybe KQ - that he 3-bets with and then bets full pot on the flop and the turn. If he has the flush draw or straight draw he probably should bet the turn, but not a lot of players on the micros do (not full pot anyway).

The more I look on the hand the more I think you are beat. But hard to lay it down 3-handed. Against a tight player I would just call the flop and fold the turn to a bet this big.

I would often call the flop and most turns myself this shorthanded (unless I knew he was very tight), but it would be tough to play for all my money.

The fact that he bets this big on a very scary board - well, it scares me.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Choose better cards to play when you have less stack.
Although you have a position and you played doubles, you are still susceptible to better doubles, there are also projects in the spotlight.
You should avoid large bet sizes when you have less stack.
Greetings.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a bit confused by a few replies. Exactly what hands should Hero be concerned with that would be beating him? He's getting called on turn by all big combo draws(AQ of clubs type hands), all Kx(especially if both clubs), all simple club draws...those are the most obvious hands. TT and 99 are both blocked, so very unlikely. KK is also unlikely considering how it's played. That leaves QJ and KT/K9 as realistic hands that beat you. There are far more combos that you're ahead than QJ/KT/K9...also the latter set are all pretty bad 3betting hands.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the way you played it.

yes, you could raise flop but then you might be letting his 1 pair hands off the hook. If you check call flop you are almost forced to check turn and you do risk a checkback on the turn on a draw heavy board... so for that reason raising flop is fine too. Many of his Kx hands also have a gutter and so they might not fold to your flop raise.

Once you elect to check call flop then I do like the turn Check raise. it's a safe turn and it's gonna be hard for him to fold TP or an overpair getting those odds

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In response to a few people:

I try to min-raise when super short handed (4 or less) vs the traditional 3.5x. I don't know if it's better, but here it did have a clear impact on his 3-bet and the subsequent SPR. Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies, it is good to get other opinions.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks fine. Not sure there's much more you can do here. Calling he flop is pretty std, especially in a btn vs blind 3-bet spot. Turn, you're either folding or getting it in, and you're def not folding there. Nh.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop I would raise bigger, and I would also fold to the 3-bet. T9 offsuit is one of the absolute worst hands, you should open on BTN, so if you are not folding this to a 3-bet, what are you even folding? As for the mini-raise on BTN, Doug Polk talk about it in a recent video. Its an exploitative strategy, that used to work well, because people folded to much, but it does not work so well any more.

However when you hit a flop like this, I completely agree with getting it in. You can raise flop or raise turn, I dont think, it makes a huge difference. When he pot the flop, it look sort of strong, so I dont mind your decision to just call and let him commit himself on the turn. If he has you beat here, so be it. As others have said, there are very few hands, that beat you, and even fewer, which it is likely, he would play this way.

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! This hand has been played very well. If you check-raised on the flop, your opponent most likely folded that hand. When you make a call on the flop, you increase the pot, thereby tying your opponent to the pot. However, it would be much more interesting if you published more information about the opponent.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands