$10 NLHE 6-max: 22 Vs T8(s). River check and ???

weralomos

weralomos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Attachments

• рука1.jpg
    рука1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 20
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its very difficult to read the action from that picture, so may I suggest, that you export the hand history and use the hand converter here on CC next time? Anyways I downloaded it and enlarged it, and based on, what I can see, here are my comments:

Preflop
Action was: MP limped, BTN raised to 6BB, hero called in SB with 2c2d, MP called, effective stack around 200BB

Comment: while stacks were deep here, you were also facing a very large raise, and I dont think this out of position setmine is going to be profitable, so I would just fold. One of the issues with setmining in general is, that good players dont stack off for 200BB or even 100BB with hands like an overpair or TPTK. And when thats not the case, you end up in a situation, where you cant even profitably play for stacks, when you finally flop your set.

Flop
Flop comes 6c2s7s, pot must have been 19BB. Action was: Hero check, MP check, BTN bets 5BB, Hero check-raise to 21BB, MP fold, BTN call.

Comment: Line looks fine, but I would go slightly larger. Your raise was only half pot, and if he has a hand, he is also going to call something like 26BB, which charge him more to draw and sets it up for an easier river shove. If on the other hand he has nothing like AK, then he is also going to fold regardless of your sizing. So take advantage of that inelasticity and go larger for value.

Turn
Board is now 6c2s7s4d, pot must have been 61BB. Action was: Hero bet 42BB, BTN call.

Comment: Line and sizing looks fine. Some straights are possible now, but we cant be to worried about those.

River
Board is now 6c2s7s4d9c, pot must have been 145BB. Action was: Hero jam for 143BB, BTN call.

Comment: If this player will still call us down with all his overpairs, then we hit a great runout, and we should go ahead and jam. However if he is going to fold his overpair and basically only call us with better sets and an occational straight, then we check here and probably check-call, since there are some busted draws, he might bluff the river with.

Results
So we ran into Ts8s, which was able to call, because it had a flushdraw, and then he nailed a very well disguised gutshot on the end. This is obviously a bit unlucky. But going back to preflop, this is why, I am not in love with the setmine to begin with. In my opinion, even when we finally do flop a set with a baby pair and get all the money in, often we just end up losing a massive pot to an even better hand like a higher set, a higher boat or as in this case a straight or flush. So my main advice here is to stop setmining with the smallest pairs, unless its an absolute pristine spot.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fundiver 199 has hit all of the high points, I was unable to read the original post, and I appreciate his posting in a clear format. I also agree fundamentally with everything he wrote and would like to add a bit.

Set mining is with small pairs out of position is generally not profitable in the long run. First they are hard to hit on the flop basically 2 outs three times and when one hits one needs to get paid. In a 6-max game this is hard.

I would prefer to raise than call. when Hero calls he makes the price for the MP limper pretty good. When the flop comes low, Hero is OOP with no information. A large portion of the time the flop re-raise folds both Villains. What does Hero do when the MP calls? Pre-flop marks her with a speculative hand. does she have 66 or a low flush draw. There is no way of knowing.

Fundiver makes the excellent point the Villains need a hand good to call down, but bad enough to lose to the worst set. That's a pretty small slice. of the possible hands.

When Villain calls the flop Hero has no choice but to bet. He can't give free cards to draws. On the river betting or checking is marginal. There are few hands that he bets that Villain will fold, but there two pair hands that may call.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Setmining very low pairs unprofitable.

Fundiver 199 has hit all of the high points, I was unable to read the original post, and I appreciate his posting in a clear format. I also agree fundamentally with everything he wrote and would like to add a bit.

Set mining is with small pairs out of position is generally not profitable in the long run. First they are hard to hit on the flop basically 2 outs three times and when one hits one needs to get paid. In a 6-max game this is hard.

I would prefer to raise than call. when Hero calls he makes the price for the MP limper pretty good. When the flop comes low, Hero is OOP with no information. A large portion of the time the flop re-raise folds both Villains. What does Hero do when the MP calls? Pre-flop marks her with a speculative hand. does she have 66 or a low flush draw. There is no way of knowing.

Fundiver makes the excellent point the Villains need a hand good to call down, but bad enough to lose to the worst set. That's a pretty small slice. of the possible hands.

When Villain calls the flop Hero has no choice but to bet. He can't give free cards to draws. On the river betting or checking is marginal. There are few hands that he bets that Villain will fold, but there two pair hands that may call.