$10 NLHE 6-max: 10nl - Overplayed flush or just a cooler?

J

Jordansimo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, would appreciate a hand review.

10nl zoom. 120bbs effective

Hero opens 76cc to 0.25c on the button. SB 3-bets to 90c hero calls.

Flop: 8s 8c 3c

Villain bets 0.54 into 1.90. Hero raises to 1.55. Villain calls.

Turn is Jc. Hero bets 3.20, Villain calls.

River is 4h. Villain shoves 7.33 into 11.40 with JJ for turned boat.

Cheers!

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any time that you lose a stack on a paired board while holding a flush, I think it's fair to say that you overplayed your hand (there are a few exceptions, but that does hold true for the most part).

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A couple of different errors I think

1) I don’t think you should be calling the 3 bet with 67s - it’s ok being the 3bettor with this on the button but calling the 3bet puts you behind range v range

2) What are you hoping to achieve with the flop raise? You don’t need to take the pot down as you can extract decent value if you hit your draw, he’s only calling with an 8 or and overpair. If he has either of these you’re inflating the pot as a 2/1 dog, whereas if you simply call down he’ll pay you off with trips when your flush hits, and if you miss it’s an easy fold

Ultimately the result hurts as you were dead either way but given you probably should have folded pre-flop, and then you inflated the pot which led you to stacking off with a mid flush on a paired board you created the significant loss.

Played via a different line (calling down) you could have limited the loss to half your stack or less and still made a decent return if he hadn’t hit the full house

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any time that you lose a stack on a paired board while holding a flush, I think it's fair to say that you overplayed your hand (there are a few exceptions, but that does hold true for the most part).

This

Especially when you don’t even hold the nut flush and AXs is a significant part of his 3bet range from blinds /EP

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Since this is a resteal situation, and you have position, I think, its fine to call his 3-bet.

Flop
I am also on board with raising the flop. The goal is to get him to fold all his C-bets with A high, K high etc. You could maybe go a pinch larger to make sure, you get those folds.

Turn
Obvious bet for value.

River
He donk shoves, and at this point your hand becomes a bluff catcher. Your flop raise supposedly folded out all his air, so it is difficult to come up with reasonable bluffs. In top of that he can have a lot of value including better flushes, and since you are 120BB deep, you are not getting a particularly good price. So without a strong read I think, you can fold now and save the last 73BB.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In this situation I actually dont think, it matter to much, that the board is paired. He 3-bet pre, so what boats can he realistically have here other than exactly JJ and maybe 88, which is a total of just 3-4 combos. He have way more AXs and therefore nut flushes, than he have boats.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi guys, would appreciate a hand review.

10nl zoom. 120bbs effective

Hero opens 76cc to 0.25c on the button. SB 3-bets to 90c hero calls.

Flop: 8s 8c 3c

Villain bets 0.54 into 1.90. Hero raises to 1.55. Villain calls.

Turn is Jc. Hero bets 3.20, Villain calls.

River is 4h. Villain shoves 7.33 into 11.40 with JJ for turned boat.

Cheers!

You are overplaying flushes very much mate, as yourself stated. If you are raising a flush draw with 7 high on a paired flop like this, you are simply bluffing too much.
The description of the hand is awful mate, try to give us more detail and explain more details next time.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that it was possible to find a fold on the river - unless of course you have information that the opponent is agro maniac!

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Since this is a resteal situation, and you have position, I think, its fine to call his 3-bet.

Flop
I am also on board with raising the flop. The goal is to get him to fold all his C-bets with A high, K high etc. You could maybe go a pinch larger to make sure, you get those folds.

Turn
Obvious bet for value.

River
He donk shoves, and at this point your hand becomes a bluff catcher. Your flop raise supposedly folded out all his air, so it is difficult to come up with reasonable bluffs. In top of that he can have a lot of value including better flushes, and since you are 120BB deep, you are not getting a particularly good price. So without a strong read I think, you can fold now and save the last 73BB.
I'm genuinely interested in understanding how it is fine to defend the 3 bet with 7 high here pre flop? Even his re-steal range has us beat here pretty much always and if he has a value hand, like he did this time, then we are in really bad shape. As played I can understand your post flop line but I'm not sure we can overcome this range disadvantage by outplaying V often enough. We will completely miss tons of flops and have to fold. We will also miss draws and lose larger pots. We also aren't always going to win when we hit our draw as was the case this hand. Why not just fold pre and pick a better spot? No reads were provided so how wide are you defending against re-steals in general? If we are defending 67s what's our button b/f range?

Full Flush Poker