Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

UTG: $9.34 (93 bb)
MP: $39.86 (399 bb)
CO: $3.99 (40 bb)
BU (Hero): $12.00 (120 bb)
SB: $10.93 (109 bb)
BB: $10.91 (109 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with A A
UTG raises to $0.28, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $1.19, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.91

Flop: ($2.53) Q 8 K (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.82, UTG calls $0.82

Turn: ($4.17) 9 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($4.17) 5 (2 players)
UTG bets $2.97, BU (Hero) folds

The spot overwhelmed me because his hand range UTG should also be quite tight.

Flop: Unfortunately I don't really know which bet sizing would be right here against his hand range.

Turn: The 9 is a scare card for me flush comes straight comes with J10. Which is why I decided to check behind.

River: Here I see myself beaten, I rarely see an option to call here.

Last edited:
H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre:
IP you can 3-bet slightly smaller because you're benefiting from position and in general don't really mind a call that much because it's easier to get value from both value hands and bluffs, or realise equity with marginal hands.

Flop:
I like the tiny c-bet because SPR is low(er) already and we're probably betting range.

Turn:
I really want to bet for value here.

Flush comes in but you hold the nut blocker. I think there's an argument for checking back with the intention to check/call most rivers with AA combos that don't hold the ace of clubs but in this case you can still get value from Kx, Qx, you're free rolling against the other AA combo (very unlikely admittedly) and if you're behind against KQ you have the redraw to the nuts and outs with the board pairing on one of the low cards.

TBH I don't really think many people are peeling with JTs and I think it's likely to be folded a good amount if not every time so you can discount that threat quite a bit. KK and QQ are also very unlikely because they're 4-bet by almost everyone.

River:
You still hold the nut blocker and if you're holding ace-high with the ace of clubs I would definitely shove all-in. With good showdown value, and it being very unlikely that you get called by worse or get better to fold, just call.

Last edited:
M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: 3bet to 3x IP, as played is too big. Majority of population are price insensitive preflop, more so than postflop.

F: as played, bet bigger, no need to downsize in 3bet pots, just pot it for max pressure.

T: as played, bad card, we have to slow down and check behind for pot control.

R: difficult spot, but we must tank-cry call, especially how we sized our bets.

Our range looks much weaker on the river, so villain might be stealing a nice pot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
In position you can make your 3-bets a bit smaller like 3X or maybe 3,5X.

Flop
C-bet seem totally fine and standard to be, and I like sizing down a little bit in a 3-bet pot.

Turn
I like checking back but not for the reasons, you gave. Yes straight- and flushdraws now completed, but I dont think, he has to many of them. JTo would be extremely thin to open UTG and then call a big 3-bet out of position, and even JTs is not always defended especially to your sizing. It is after all one of the worst hands in an UTG open range.

And as for flushes the fact, you hold Ac, is really important, because it mean, he can not have AX of it. And with the K, Q and 9 on the board, which flush combos are even left, that would open UTG AND then call a 3-bet out of position? Like JT maybe, but thats also one of the straight combos, and we dont want to dubble count. Maybe he can also have T8, 87 or 76, but at the very most we can find 3-4 combos of flushes and 3 combos of straights, that just got there.

So the reason, I like checking back, is not because, I think, I am beat. Its because I dont think, to many worse hands can call us down, if we go bet, bet, bet. So its a check for pot control and to induce bluffs on the river. And I much prefer checking with Ac, because that mean, we dont need to worry about another club rolling off. It also mean, he cant have the nut flushdraw, so there are less hands in his range, that might call a turn bet but fold on the river. Without Ac it could make more sense to bet again now and then check back the river to potentially win against a hand like AQ with A of clubs.

River
76 is also a straight now, but I dont think, that really matter. And while we are of course sometimes beat, I think, this fold is to tight. You put in almost no money postflop, and as I already deduced, this board should not scare you as much, as it apparently did. As far as I am concerned, he could even be doing this for value with AK, in which case he accidentally got you to fold the best hand.

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your answers and your time!
I have no further questions about the hand.