club4.gif
diamond4.gif

Hero checks, MP bets $0.30, Hero raises to $0.88, MP calls $0.58

Turn: ($2.21, 2 players) Q
diamond4.gif

Hero bets $1.70, MP raises to $15.43 and is all-in, Hero folds

hands:1288
Stats:23/18/6.3/48

Preflop: I think with 58s against a min open raise you can call this?

Flop: Here I wonder if you can really play a check-raise on the flop against MP.

Turn: If I play a check-raise on the flop, I think I often have to barrel on the turn. But whether Q is suitable for this, I don't know.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not advisable to defend with marginal hands, but from time to time you can 3-bet of bluff when facing small openings, but this doesn't seem like the best case as Villain has a tendency to be aggressive.
V's cbet looks prominent so I'd be inclined to call it. But if you are looking to raise his bet you should choose a larger size, as you could be representing the top of your range.
As played the fold is correct on the turn.
Greetings.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Versus MP's min open I'd still fold this pre at 10nl. Rake3 is too damn high!

But we can discuss what to do with hands like this vs MP on a board like this.

Consideration 1: Donk betting

On this board BB v many positions, we have more sets, straights than our opponent. We can work in a donking range mixed with very good hands, mixed hands, and garbage hands to put our opponent in a tough spot.

On 3
club4.gif
club4.gif
diamond4.gif
we have 33, 44, 66 and V may only have 66 (since he is 23/18). We also have 57s and V does not. Therefore we have a range advantage.

Consideration 2: XC or XR

We check and V bets 3/4 pot, which tells us he is playing a polarized strategy. He is probably betting most of his overpairs, 66, and his weaker flush draws without showdown value. He could also have suited connectors of diamonds or clubs he fires, and/or single club broadway combos without showdown value.

Versus this betting range it makes a lot of sense to check-raise this hand as we get many better hands to fold. However, we have a range advantage here with many value hands that will be check-raising. For example, how large would we size a raise with:5h4: :7h4: ?

Minor point, but I would go a little larger here to represent your wide value range and allow for more bluffs. I think 3x is a minimum, but between 3x-4x is good.

Turn play after XR:

The turn is the :qd4:. The Q itself favors V's range, as he flats your raise with Qx of clubs and QQ. Really, you only have Qx of clubs that xr the flop, so a few combos at most.

So, our next question is- what hands bet (and how big?) what hands check call and what hands check-fold? (forgetting about a double check raise for now!)

Barrelling hands have good equity and good blocker/unblocker properties. For vlaue, we have our sets and straights, and new tp... I would prefer a Tc or Jc here to block v's continuing range is draws and some of his tp. (I'm also assuming V would call turn with TT and JJ) Kc is also good, and you should have much Ac, but that as well can bet.

For sizing, I'd go near pot to set up a river shove.

With this hand, I'd check-evaluate. I don't like having an 8c since v with fold 88 on the turn to a bet.

A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not advisable to defend with marginal hands, but from time to time you can 3-bet of bluff when facing small openings, but this doesn't seem like the best case as Villain has a tendency to be aggressive.
V's cbet looks prominent so I'd be inclined to call it. But if you are looking to raise his bet you should choose a larger size, as you could be representing the top of your range.
As played the fold is correct on the turn.
Greetings.

Thanks!

against a 2.5bb open raise i would have folded too but in bb against a min open raise i have to defend here otherwise i fold too much.

Last edited:
A

AcesUTGFold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Versus MP's min open I'd still fold this pre at 10nl. Rake3 is too damn high!

But we can discuss what to do with hands like this vs MP on a board like this.

Consideration 1: Donk betting

On this board BB v many positions, we have more sets, straights than our opponent. We can work in a donking range mixed with very good hands, mixed hands, and garbage hands to put our opponent in a tough spot.

On 3
club4.gif
club4.gif
diamond4.gif
we have 33, 44, 66 and V may only have 66 (since he is 23/18). We also have 57s and V does not. Therefore we have a range advantage.

Consideration 2: XC or XR

We check and V bets 3/4 pot, which tells us he is playing a polarized strategy. He is probably betting most of his overpairs, 66, and his weaker flush draws without showdown value. He could also have suited connectors of diamonds or clubs he fires, and/or single club broadway combos without showdown value.

Versus this betting range it makes a lot of sense to check-raise this hand as we get many better hands to fold. However, we have a range advantage here with many value hands that will be check-raising. For example, how large would we size a raise with:5h4: :7h4: ?

Minor point, but I would go a little larger here to represent your wide value range and allow for more bluffs. I think 3x is a minimum, but between 3x-4x is good.

Turn play after XR:

The turn is the :qd4:. The Q itself favors V's range, as he flats your raise with Qx of clubs and QQ. Really, you only have Qx of clubs that xr the flop, so a few combos at most.

So, our next question is- what hands bet (and how big?) what hands check call and what hands check-fold? (forgetting about a double check raise for now!)

Barrelling hands have good equity and good blocker/unblocker properties. For vlaue, we have our sets and straights, and new tp... I would prefer a Tc or Jc here to block v's continuing range is draws and some of his tp. (I'm also assuming V would call turn with TT and JJ) Kc is also good, and you should have much Ac, but that as well can bet.

For sizing, I'd go near pot to set up a river shove.

With this hand, I'd check-evaluate. I don't like having an 8c since v with fold 88 on the turn to a bet.

Thank you very much for your words I can take away a lot for me.

But also to you even if the rake is high I find the fold in the bb against a min open raise just too tight. Since we would but just too much fold preflop in the bb.

I find donk bets interesting but I actually play a zero donk strategy. Since I thought that would never be good.

I also think with so much equity you should raise the flop bigger.
Only the question is then it becomes more expensive on the turn because my bet gets bigger.
And the question is can you still fold against an all in then?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks!

against a 2.5bb open raise i would have folded too but in bb against a min open raise i have to defend here otherwise i fold too much.
You can defend if you want, but you are not forced to defend always with a double gap and 8 high from BB, even if we are talking about a min raise.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre... this is std vs an MP open, even for a min raise. If you're CR the flop, it needs to be larger. As played, turn is ok.