.10/25 NLHE on FTP

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure why we had 5 people in this hand after a raise and big reraise, but, apparently no one had much? lol. i dont even know what to think. either i made a great play, or no one really had anything.

full tilt poker Game #3139513241: Table Tulip - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 6:24:20 ET - 2007/08/03
Seat 1: Bruin Cal ($36.55)
Seat 2: rakworanoot ($24.85)
Seat 3: adevarel ($25.10)
Seat 4: sorenjensen ($81.90)
Seat 5: Break17 ($25.55)
Seat 6: pajatr ($11.95)
Seat 7: takis_25 ($34.90)
Seat 8: bassett21 ($23.40)
Seat 9: ecatkins ($9.90)
takis_25 posts the small blind of $0.10
bassett21 posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Break17 [Js Jh]
ecatkins has 15 seconds left to act
ecatkins raises to $0.75
Bruin Cal folds
rakworanoot calls $0.75
adevarel calls $0.75
sorenjensen calls $0.75
Break17 raises to $2
pajatr folds
takis_25 has 15 seconds left to act
takis_25 calls $1.90
bassett21 folds
ecatkins calls $1.25
rakworanoot calls $1.25
adevarel has 15 seconds left to act
adevarel is sitting out
adevarel has timed out
adevarel folds
sorenjensen calls $1.25
adevarel has been disconnected
*** FLOP *** [Qd Kd As]
rakworanoot has been disconnected
takis_25 checks
ecatkins checks
rakworanoot has reconnected
rakworanoot checks
sorenjensen checks
Break17 checks
*** TURN *** [Qd Kd As] [8d]
takis_25 checks
ecatkins checks
rakworanoot checks
sorenjensen bets $0.25
Break17 raises to $3
takis_25 folds
ecatkins folds
rakworanoot has 15 seconds left to act
rakworanoot has 90 seconds to reconnect
rakworanoot folds
sorenjensen has 15 seconds left to act
sorenjensen folds
Uncalled bet of $2.75 returned to Break17
Break17 mucks
Break17 wins the pot ($10.95)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $11.50 | Rake $0.55
Board: [Qd Kd As 8d]
Seat 1: Bruin Cal didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: rakworanoot folded on the Turn
Seat 3: adevarel folded before the Flop
Seat 4: sorenjensen folded on the Turn
Seat 5: Break17 collected ($10.95), mucked
Seat 6: pajatr (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: takis_25 (small blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 8: bassett21 (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 9: ecatkins folded on the Turn

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok so this hand is just soo missplayed I dont know where to begin.....

ok so preflop your raise to $2 is horrible you have 3 people callinga Early position 3 bet and you only raise to $2? you need to make a pretty decent size raise here or you are going to get a lot of hands in there you dont want to see. OR you need to just call and set mine, the no C-bet on flop is ok seeing as you have so many to flop but I dont see any reason in the world to play back at him when the 8 hits the turn?

im sorry I just cant get over how terrible this was played preflop, $2? $2? there is $3 in pot before the flop. this should be like a Raise to $5 here you want to represent stregth here.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Extending what storm says, your re-raise would be fine if there was only one person you are reraising. Just like if you've got 3 limpers and you need to adjust your raise to 4Xbb + 1 for every limper, you need to adjust your reraise when you've got raise callers.

If you don't, you don't put pressure on anyone to fold, and if one person decides to call, the rest have to call because of the pot odds they're getting. I guess if you had AA/KK it would almost be a slowplay but very dangerous as you get far too many hands playing.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What storm said - reraise way more preflop. With that flop I think you have to pretty much shut right down...

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think jacks are strong enough to reraise preflop with 3 limpers as well? I tend to play a hand like JJ and 10-10 in this situation for set value, but please let me know if that's the optimal way to play this hand.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think jacks are strong enough to reraise preflop with 3 limpers as well? I tend to play a hand like JJ and 10-10 in this situation for set value, but please let me know if that's the optimal way to play this hand.

If you only play them for set value, then no, JJ is not strong enough for a reraise. If you are a strong post-flop player, then 54s is strong enough for a raise here.

JJ is one of the best starting hands, but, you've got to be able to play them aggressively AND be able to fold them to resistance. If you don't raise the limpers, you're encouraging Ax, Kx, 87o etc. to play and you have to play for set value.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

if you are playing them for set value then do that, dont bumb it up to $2 just call the .75 and if you dont hit a set be prepared to fold.

by betting $2 you are inviting people to call and with JJ where AKQ are going to be flopped a good percent of the time we do not want to give people odds to call.

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand you either have to raise it and try to win the pot without having to flop a set or just call and play for set value. I was just wondering what you would consider to be the best play in a situation like this.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand you either have to raise it and try to win the pot without having to flop a set or just call and play for set value. I was just wondering what you would consider to be the best play in a situation like this.

that totally depends on the table and the opponents. Like most things in poker its totally situational.

S

sven00100

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well as much as i agree with them that the play pre-flop wasnt excellent, more than likely the opponents had little or nothing, now there is a possibility however with the draws that either they believed with your bet that you had the best hand (even if they had a Q or a K) or that they had nothing, either way checking down with 5 people isn't generally a good play, it's a good way to allow that third jack to come and let someone with a ten take all of your chips.. betting before they get anything ( assuming they arent check raising you) is a good strategy, but you do need to work on your pre-flop play, be careful, make a smaller bet, and see how they react to it, because throwing away useful hands is never good, neither is being afraid, or being to agressive, it's really about having original play that works and makes you profit.. getting into their heads, and knowing what they have, more than likely at that low a limit though, i would say none of them had face cards, aside from one of your other jacks, since people generally at that type of a limit are so loose with Q4 they would have gone in on that flop. either way, i would consider post-flop play strong.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

As Storm said its situational. But on $25 MAX with a raise and 3 players in already I'd be more inclined to just call and play it for set value, since most of these guys don't fold. Jacks are a great hand, but on the flop there will be an overcard over 50% of the time.

Unless you have an idea that a nice reraise will make most of them fold (tight table), and you'll be called by 1 or 2 players at most, just smooth call. Viceversa put in the reraise, cause you also have position. I can say w/o being there that this table hardly looks like a tight one. There's a 3 BB raise from UTG and 2 players already called it, lmao!!!!!!!

Of course as was mentioned above you need to pop it more than just $1.25 if you're going to raise with 3 players in the pot already.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DAMN I GOT FLAMED. ill live.

anyway the reason that i raised to only $2 after the .75 is because this table was RIDICULOUSLY loose. it was probably the loosest table i'd ever sat in at a ring game, so i figured by just a simple and fairly small reraise, i'd knock out at least 1, maybe 2 hands if i was lucky without risking much money, and if i didnt hit my set, then i could still fold easily. but the post flop play was very weak, so when that guy bet on the turn for only .25 into a $10 pot, i had to raise, and i figured if i got reraised i was beat, if they folded, then i took down a damn nice pot.

that was my reasoning. i am here to learn. so tell me if my reasoning was wrong. yeah i know this was an absolute horrible hand, on many parts, but i think i made the right play post flop, and it paid off since i took down the pot.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DAMN I GOT FLAMED. ill live.

anyway the reason that i raised to only $2 after the .75 is because this table was RIDICULOUSLY loose. it was probably the loosest table i'd ever sat in at a ring game, so i figured by just a simple and fairly small reraise, i'd knock out at least 1, maybe 2 hands if i was lucky without risking much money, and if i didnt hit my set, then i could still fold easily. but the post flop play was very weak, so when that guy bet on the turn for only .25 into a $10 pot, i had to raise, and i figured if i got reraised i was beat, if they folded, then i took down a damn nice pot.

that was my reasoning. i am here to learn. so tell me if my reasoning was wrong. yeah i know this was an absolute horrible hand, on many parts, but i think i made the right play post flop, and it paid off since i took down the pot.

Your post flop play was good, I just disagree with the preflop. I believe you that this table was ridiculously loose, it does appear so. But that's even a better reason not to raise it PF, particularly to $2 which is only a "pot sweetener" at that point since you won't get these donks to fold. That's all I meant, not trying to flame you.

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's loose, all the more you should raise more preflop to thin the field. Else you'll get hands like JT, QJ, KJ, KQ, any ace-rags in the hand. You probably have the best hand preflop.

Raise it to $7 PF, post flop looks fine