$0.05/0.10 bluffing the flush/does talking work?

B

Ben_UK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok here's the hand, little background on the player, this guy seemed a decent, solid player who wasn't fishy, as for my image, I'd done a fair bit of raising and reraising at the table with plenty of c-bets on the right boards and also betting draws.

Anyway, here's the hand:

full tilt poker Game #5266299338: Table Cima (6 max) - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:31:31 ET - 2008/02/15
Seat 1: jimmyfry ($10)
Seat 2: polexican ($4.90)
Seat 3: sliknic404 ($14.75)
Seat 4: Ben_UK ($11.85)
Seat 5: Riverben1981 ($2.70)
Seat 6: blondebimbo1 ($2.25)
sliknic404 posts the small blind of $0.05
Ben_UK posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Ben_UK [Ac 6h]
Riverben1981 folds
blondebimbo1 folds
jimmyfry folds
sliknic404 has 15 seconds left to act
sliknic404 raises to $0.30
Ben_UK has 15 seconds left to act
Ben_UK raises to $0.60
sliknic404 calls $0.30
*** FLOP *** [7c 2h Ah]
sliknic404 checks
Ben_UK bets $0.70
sliknic404 calls $0.70
*** TURN *** [7c 2h Ah] [9h]
sliknic404 checks
Ben_UK checks
*** RIVER *** [7c 2h Ah 9h] [Ad]
sliknic404 bets $2
Ben_UK raises to $10.55, and is all in
sliknic404 has 15 seconds left to act
sliknic404 has requested TIME
sliknic404: hummm
sliknic404: flush?
Ben_UK: flush as well?
sliknic404: AQ
sliknic404 folds
Uncalled bet of $8.55 returned to Ben_UK
Ben_UK mucks
Ben_UK wins the pot ($5.95)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $6.60 | Rake $0.65
Board: [7c 2h Ah 9h Ad]
Seat 1: jimmyfry didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: polexican (button) is sitting out
Seat 3: sliknic404 (small blind) folded on the River
Seat 4: Ben_UK (big blind) collected ($5.95), mucked
Seat 5: Riverben1981 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: blondebimbo1 didn't bet (folded)

When he called my river I bet I thought he had a considerably better ace than me, when the turn came a heart I was a bit scared of a checkraise so I checked along, having slowplayed big hands previously, once against this player.

So I knew I'd have to act quick and checked the flop straight off to make it clear the river hadn't changed my hand, when he bet I knew he had A10+ and thought I'd have to do something sharpish so instantly went all in. I then thought maybe this won't be enough and crudely went with "flush as well?" But it seemed to work.

Definitely not a fish this guy, a fish calls that all day, as for the talking, as in live play it can work but only against certain players.

Maybe my move was too risky or extremely lucky that the hand played out as if I had KQ of hearts etc.

Right, a lot of conjecture for a leadup to one question, how much of a rarity is this move working at this level and what level does this kind of move start to work at? I'm considering despositing a fat proportion of my live winnings onto online and play some higher stakes cash games.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm glad it worked out for you.

I don't think it was a +EV play at that level though. If you were aggressive and betting a lot of draws, there was a really good chance of the guy with A/Q looking you up.

If I was in his shoes, I think I'd lay it down though.

premierplayer

premierplayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing at this limit is pointless. People call you down with anything. Save yourself the money.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw I highly doubt that villain folded AQ here

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't understand the raise there. Hands that have you beat call and hands you beat fold. Flat call on this river. Your opponent did not have AQ, he bluffed at the pot on the river and got caught and did a bit of acting. I doubt he would have called a minraise. Obviously I could be wrong, but I doubt he folded trips here.

K

Kyle Poker God

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
he didnt fold AQ no way !! he knew he played his 9 wrong andcoverd it up

F

fellowswheel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah bluffing at 5 10 cent games is pointless, i have seen people call all in pf with q5 suited. Only way to bluff the smaller tables, in my mind is to literally run the whole table over, and build up enough profit that you can handle taking some call down losses.

P

PoSInC

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well first like everyone agreas bluffing at low blinds isn't the best move And personnaly I don't see how he thought you had a flush here your lucky you fell on a bad player in my oppinion

But about talking ... the players have around 45 sec to decide their moves and someone who trying to make you talk normally has a decent but not the best hand in this hand ...thats what ive seen in average...so I use the logic dont talk dont talk back during a hand. But listen some people give too much info about their hands or style of game

A

Alessandra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is embarrassing but I have to admit when people talk, I go paranoid and usually fold.

CrackaNACtion

CrackaNACtion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ahh think of it this way atleast they cant see ur face of the shame of u losing the hand if u call and thats what they really got!. u can never trust a poker player there masters at lieing :) i think this guy had a 9 also and u had him beat!.

This is embarrassing but I have to admit when people talk, I go paranoid and usually fold.

Full Flush Poker