Are you afraid of facing a team pro in tournaments?

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems that they will always beat us!

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I am afraid of facing a team pro in tourneys. I want to sit down with players that are just recreational players like myself, so I can have an equal chance of winning.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play tournaments $20 buy ins and higher chances are many pros are sitting in the game with you once you start playing $100- $200 buy ins and the higher you go pros will probably outnumber the recreational player sometimes.
I do not care who is on my tournament table while pros have an advantage they get priced into flips and are at the mercy of variance and coolers the same as anybody else
Week 1 task 1

Last edited:
Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I get scared when I see Hugh playing at the same table I'm at....
but besides that, you will see that in the Sunday Million pro's will sometimes buy into the tournament more than once and still crash without a payout. My suggestion, learn from them especially if there are more than one at the table.

Regarding other sites (and again I get scared when I see Hugh playing at the same table I'm at....) it's the same scenario. Do some homework and find out as many of the professional alias's you can track down via Shark Scope and other sites and note the level of experience at the table..make a blizzard of notes on the players in the game, when you played and who you played against. You may even discover a bot or two among other things...:fight:

Always be a student and especially don't be afraid of playing anyone.

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh yes, if professional is sitting on the same table with me i feel pressure. Its more comfortable when skills are equal

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played an online tournament at Fulltilt back in the day that had 7000 entrants,
75 of those were the red Fulltilt pros and red friends of Fullitilt (not exactly recreational but not "pro")
Over the course of that one game there were 15 different red players at my table
Gotta figure that game for more pros from other sites too, probably 50 - 75 more that you don't know you're playing against
I couldn't begin to remember who they all were but the one who knocked me out. Karina Jett. I was SB with 22, she was on the button and raised, I figured it was a position raise and pushed 22 back at her, she tanked then called with 99, got me. Out in 35th out of 7000
I didn't really get involved in many pots the red players were in, just stuck to my usual game plan "tight is right"
I would actually avoid playing a "pro" unless I have the cards to get involved.

Last edited:
tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always afraid of facing a pro! Not only will I get into my own head, but they'll quickly get into my stack. Lighter competition any day please.

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would embrace playing one, just to improve my play playing against better players and to gauge where I'm at. The team pro acts like a measuring stick for me

Last edited:
elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im scared of facing a guy who always raises like crazy..

Being Pro or not doesnt scare me, i believe that guys with a crazy style are more difficult

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I were a fetus, I would be afraid of the team pro choice :)

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The deeper that you get into a tournament, the better the players are going to get anyways, so don't worry about it. Just play the best that you can. Learn from your mistakes.

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on the Internet a lot of videos where these professionals play need to be viewed more often

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like the challenge of playing against a pro...I played at the same table with Richard Seymour, the retired New England Patriot's player who plays a lot of poker and has been in many big tourneys...poker is the one sport that a recreational player actually has a chance against a pro...I'm not going to beat Tiger Woods at golf or Roger Federer at tennis, but I could get lucky and beat a poker pro.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always enjoy playing with PROS. Why? Generally they are easy to spot and are very aggressive with AIR especially if its a rebuy . What worries me more is someone who just likes to play but dont understand the game. The flop seers. Got to see a flop . Wont fold ANYTHING preflop. Never folding a weak ace and never folding a pair preflop.

Position, table image, blind levels and stack size be damned.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm at the same table with a PRO poker player in an online tournament, I enjoy playing with him and every hand I win with him gives me five times more pleasure :D

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, i'm afraid of being card dead than scared of pro players. In fact they should be afraid of me because chances are i have more information about them yet they know nothing about me.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd certainly prefer to play against bad players, but I don't know that pros are going to have that crazy an edge on most on this site. Over the long run yes, in a given tournament though they probably only have a small edge. Maybe a few percentage points better chances of cashing than you. If I was in a tournament with 50% pros, yeah maybe I'd opt not to play that one. But 1 pro in an online tournaments with 200 players, it's whatever.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
but besides that, you will see that in the Sunday Million pro's will sometimes buy into the tournament more than once and still crash without a payout. My suggestion, learn from them especially if there are more than one at the table.

Regarding other sites (and again I get scared when I see Hugh playing at the same table I'm at....) it's the same scenario. Do some homework and find out as many of the professional alias's you can track down via Shark Scope and other sites and note the level of experience at the table..make a blizzard of notes on the players in the game, when you played and who you played against. You may even discover a bot or two among other things...:fight:

Looks like i need to get to your table whenever you're in the same table with him (so you don't have to be afraid of him anymore) :boxing:

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn I think that would be fun as hell. I think many players for some reason enjoy bluffing pros and getting away with it but I just personally want to watch them play and see if they make any mistakes

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Back when Full Tilt was big, they had a lot of pros playing in their tournaments. It was always kind of fun to play against them and rail them in other games. It was a great learning experience and most of them were very active in chat.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Like the comedy and sarcasm in the start of this post thanks for the much needed laugh:hahaha:
Always be a student and especially don't be afraid of playing anyone.[/QUOTE]
Your right in this line agree here.:D

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly there are many other Regs in the tournaments that the big name site pros play on that I would be more hesitant to play difficult spots with.

Especially today many of the site pros are good streamers and entertainers but not necessarily the best poker players who get given team pro offers!

If they don't have to represent a site and everything tied to that, they will have more time solving spots and learning exploitations aganst the population, not streaming on twitch!

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Quite the contrary, there have been several times while playing live there has been a pro at my table. I find due to the fact they will re enter 100 times (it seems) they play rather reckless. Playing conservatively and picking your spots to call can be profitable. I had Chris Moorman sit directly to my left and within a matter of minutes he had put all his chips in and was KO'd. I watched him walk right up to the window to reenter. Someone at my table was sitting with all of his chips.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can be aware. Afraid, no. Being aware of who and what you're up against will help. But, really...you should be aware regardless if you're up against a pro or not. They were where you are at one point. Learn from them. Play your best. But, don't be afraid.