Would a pro do well in a low stakes home game?

D

djhuzz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This sounds like a stupid question, but bear with it....

Would a professional player, big league Phil Ivey, Phil Helmuth, Daniel Negreanu etc actually be able to play in a "home game" / pub league & win?

I ask this because I study Poker a lot & mix up GTO with Exploitative play depending who's on the table & find that even when I play "perfectly" - I will lose to crazy donk bets or "bingo players".

I've asked before if you'd get these kind of players in higher stakes games & if stakes make a difference & it pretty much does.

So... do the "pro's" do better because they play in higher stakes games... or are they just better poker players?

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course yes! High level players (about skill not stake) know concepts that other players in lower levels can't understand and that explains everthing.

D

djhuzz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course yes! High level players (about skill not stake) know concepts that other players in lower levels can't understand and that explains everthing.

This was my thoughts as well. My only concern with that is the concepts rely on the other players behaving as you expect for example raising X times the blind in the position you will expect a certain number of players to fold.
low status game chances are a lot of players will stay in with garbage & hot on the flop.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is actually a good question. The answer is... yes, but variance plays a MUCH higher role. As somebody who plays for a living, i can tell you it is a pain in the butt to play in friendly games.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Would a professional player, big league Phil Ivey, Phil Helmuth, Daniel Negreanu etc actually be able to play in a "home game" / pub league & win?

I ask this because I study Poker a lot & mix up GTO with Exploitative play depending who's on the table & find that even when I play "perfectly" - I will lose to crazy donk bets or "bingo players".

I've asked before if you'd get these kind of players in higher stakes games & if stakes make a difference & it pretty much does.

So... do the "pro's" do better because they play in higher stakes games... or are they just better poker players?

So....anybody CAN beat a pro anytime. But can you beat him/her consistently?

A pro CAN whip a low-limit game. But it's generally not worth their time if they can earn more money at higher limits.

And yes, players in high-limit games are much much more skilled....and it shows quickly.

I suggest to stop daydreaming about this topic and sharpen your skills and become the killer-pro you are asking about!

Good luck !

D

djhuzz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

A pro CAN whip a low-limit game. But it's generally not worth their time if they can earn more money at higher limits.

And yes, players in high-limit games are much much more skilled....and it shows quickly.

I suggest to stop daydreaming about this topic and sharpen your skills and become the killer-pro you are asking about!

Good luck !

lol, thanks.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
D'accord

Good luck !

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've often wondered about this. What kind of edge they would have. Would they win 20 per cent more than any other player or more like 80 per cent more?

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

They would have a HUGE advantage. They would attack exactly whatever weakness the recreative players could have, such as raising too much, not raising enough, folding too much for c-bets, not folding at all and would adapt almost perfectly to whatever style suited them the most. Phil Helmuth, however, would tilt the first time he took a bad beat

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've often wondered about this. What kind of edge they would have. Would they win 20 per cent more than any other player or more like 80 per cent more?

I don't think there's been any studies about this, but my guess is about 95% pro if they are playing a big stack. Unless the pro gets AA against KK and loses, I think they can't lose to a rec player

majango

majango

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If the "Hobby Players" are playing for them Hard worked Money, Its no wonder if they got sweat-wet when It comes to Big Pots.
Pros know the feeling to loose Money and dont Fear it that much.
Not at least because they have some Zeros more on his bankroll...
The difficult is not to Win with good hands.. Its to accept bad Moves and keep going without getting Tilt like the Hulk 😁

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often watch professional videos, especially a show I like "in the head of a pro" and it's true that these players will always be better armed and harder to beat than other players. with their abilities to manage all their hands.they have an undeniable advantage over us.

B

Belus 08

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that even though skilled players know concepts that other players (i.e. those who play in lower levels) I think that it does not ALWAYS have to do with their skills or advantage over the rest, sometimes it's just a matter of luck

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What makes guys like Phil Ivey great...is that they can adapt and read all different kinds of poker players.

I

iceiceice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always assumed this is how big names pros made most of their money. Private games with rich recs who just want to say they played with an Ivey or Hellmuth.

L

Lebanesebaloney

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A pro should be able to adapt

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, they will have an advantage if they think like ordinary players. At tournaments there are also fans, I think they will not have problems.

D

Dontnonothin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they would do really bad in the average home game, because the limit is just to low.

I once had a chance to play with Negreanu at the Bellagio, of course the limit was too low for him, so he started to play kind of crazy, which did not workout so well for him in the end. But I guess he had a lot of fun.

I think a pro could not take such a small stakes home game seriously, ....

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This a huge huge YES.

I used to at my home games practice my range reading and poker math and playing the player by "playing blind" I can't tell you how many times I have pissed off friends and family by winning home games while not even looking at the 2 cards in front of me.

Now think about how much better the pros are at these concepts. Besides bad beats and suckouts the pros will not lose at this level.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games