Why do dealers massage the pot?

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do dealers massage the pot? When I play, dealers don't just push pots together...they actually massage and mix the chips for a few seconds.

Why?

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why do dealers massage the pot? When I play, dealers don't just push pots together...they actually massage and mix the chips for a few seconds.

Why?
In a No Limit game, the pot must be visible to all players so that they can see it in case they need to assess how much is in the pot. They cannot ask for a count of the pot, and no one at the table, dealer included, may announce the amount in the pot. You either remember, just know, or look and see how much is there. If you cannot see enough of the chips for your liking, you can ask the dealer to splash the pot.

In Pot Limit, this is obviously not the case, and the pot should be neatly stacked.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Makes no sense that the dealer can't state what the pot is. What's the reason behind it? Online has it, live should catch up with the times.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Makes no sense that the dealer can't state what the pot is. What's the reason behind it? Online has it, live should catch up with the times.
I don't know, but I assume it is a combination of tradition and differentiation between No Limit and Pot Limit. I think it's part of the NL game to pay attention to how much is in the pot, how much is in your stack, how much these amounts are relative to the blinds, and all the other factors that you can see online (runners, time left, busts til bubble, avg stack, etc,) even though no one is "telling" you. You can see all these things live. It's just a tiny bit harder. No one is hiding the information from you - it's right in front of your eyes - it's just not added up and placed in a 16 square inch box.

Differentiating between No Limit and Pot Limit is a good thing since they are different games. Imagine players around an NL table betting "Pot" over and over.

Note: I have never played Limit live, so I don't know if you can get a "Pot count", but I would assume not.

I don't think live poker should be trying to be more like online. To the contrary, there seem to always be efforts to make online more like live. It makes no sense to me to make reality more like a good virtual representation of reality. :confused:

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Why?

It puts the chips into a proper pile.. It's hard to explain really unless you have dealt for a while. when you "massage" the chips they gather together into a more manageable pile instead of a "large" flat pile that is easily countable (and somewhat unorganized). It also makes pushing the pot easier at the end. I can go into more detail if needed but that should explain it.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know, but I assume it is a combination of tradition and differentiation between No Limit and Pot Limit. I think it's part of the NL game to pay attention to how much is in the pot, how much is in your stack, how much these amounts are relative to the blinds, and all the other factors that you can see online (runners, time left, busts til bubble, avg stack, etc,) even though no one is "telling" you. You can see all these things live. It's just a tiny bit harder. No one is hiding the information from you - it's right in front of your eyes - it's just not added up and placed in a 16 square inch box.

Differentiating between No Limit and Pot Limit is a good thing since they are different games. Imagine players around an NL table betting "Pot" over and over.

Note: I have never played Limit live, so I don't know if you can get a "Pot count", but I would assume not.

I don't think live poker should be trying to be more like online. To the contrary, there seem to always be efforts to make online more like live. It makes no sense to me to make reality more like a good virtual representation of reality. :confused:

In live pot limit games dealers doing their job properly keep track of the "pot" as the betting is happening. Ex. PLO $1 small $2 big blind UTG limps folds to Button they say out loud Pot dealer says $12 and action continues. The dealer keeps up with the "correct potting" amount so that anytime a player bets and announces they would like to "pot" it the correct amount can quickly be given to the player.

And as to your comment about about imagining NL players betting pot over and over hits me right at home because most of the home games I deal are NL players playing way out of their bankroll PLO potting and repotting every street it's a nightmare to deal but a great action for the players.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It puts the chips into a proper pile.. It's hard to explain really unless you have dealt for a while. when you "massage" the chips they gather together into a more manageable pile instead of a "large" flat pile that is easily countable (and somewhat unorganized). It also makes pushing the pot easier at the end. I can go into more detail if needed but that should explain it.

This is correct. It sort of "liquifies" the pot, which is a collection of individual chips.

This makes it smoother and easier to push the entire pot. Otherwise the pot may be pushed in 2 or 3 different motions.

It also makes the pot look bigger and more substantial, which customers like.

It also adds some flare to winning a pot Now the dealer didn't just "give" you the pot. They warmed it up, pumped it up and then finally pushed it over to the winner....who hopefully is more impressed with that demonstration of control and offers a tip to the dealer for all the work they did.

It also allows the dealer to use muscles in an exercise they don't usually do at the table, maybe 10-15 times per hour. This breaks the monotony of throwing cards and constant reaching....so it allows blood flow in different muscles for the dealer. This is healthy with regard to repetitive motion illnesses. Would love to see data on this.

Good luck...get lots of these massaged pots !

Last edited:
S

Super_Gleb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kinda interesting question but i don't know.