What is your favorite Heads-up starting stack?

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just as the title says: what is your favorite Heads-up starting stack? I am especially interested in the blind to stack ratio players prefer. I know some players like short games, some prefer deep stacked and so on: but I am curious about "how deep stacked?" or "how short of a game?" etc.

I am not entirely interested in the chip to currency exchange rate (although it would be fun if this was included as well xD ). I know some poker players play high stakes and others only play home games for pennies. I am more interested in finding a Heads-up starting stack (chip amount even if not translating to that much in real money) to big blind ratio that matches my liking.

How many big blinds deep do you usually like to start when you play Heads-up?

S

scofield1985

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is an interesting question, i play a lot of heads up games on pokerstars, and personally i like fast ones, with 500 chips and a turbo game, thats just me because i like fest games with small buy in.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer the larger stack to start so that you can make a bad step and still recover.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with the (now banned) member above, scofield1985, in as much that yours is an interesting question...

The honest answer Phoenix?

I really do not know!

This is due to a lack of specifically HU games played... Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the amount of HU experience I've had thus far and reasonably so of my confidence at that stage, it's just that the games didn't start HU.. ;)

Considering myself predominantly a large-field MTT player, a head's-up game is about as far away from my comfort zone as one could imagine! :laugh:

Don't worry. As I type this I am fully aware of the absurdity and ridiculousness of what is being conveyed.

How could a player be less confident with just a solitary opponent to beat for victory and to get ITM than say, 20,000+ players?

The answer to that question will be probably be painfully obvious to the more experienced of poker players reading and perhaps less immediate to those who are newer to the felt.

Here's the rub..! :)

I don't care if I'm perceived as foolish, churlish or any possible negative attribute anyone cares to think of.

Firstly, I am a complete idiot and I know that better and in more detail than anyone else on the planet.

Secondly, what other people choose to think of me is none of my business! If they decide to tell me then, great- they've given some indication... :icon_thum

What actual direct effect does someone else's feelings alone have on you?

Not a great deal! :laugh:

Anyway I digress, my sincere apologies for that- sometimes your mind is in multiple places at the same time, if you get what I mean!

How did we get here? Oh yes! Heads up!

You have had my 'honest' answer already so here now is my 'public' reply...

Deep-stacked HU please.. Starting with at least fifty or one-hundred big blinds, but maybe perhaps even more..!

Of course this usually would make it a longer affair but we could always 'make it more interesting' to compensate for the extra time..? ;)

This concludes my reply to your question Phoenix, I humbly thank you for your (and everyone else willing to read replies longer than one or two sentences) patience with my convoluted, loquacious nonsense. My apologies if they are more relevant than thanks.. :eek:

:icon_flow :five:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just as the title says: what is your favorite Heads-up starting stack? I am especially interested in the blind to stack ratio players prefer. I know some players like short games, some prefer deep stacked and so on: but I am curious about "how deep stacked?" or "how short of a game?" etc.

I am not entirely interested in the chip to currency exchange rate (although it would be fun if this was included as well xD ). I know some poker players play high stakes and others only play home games for pennies. I am more interested in finding a Heads-up starting stack (chip amount even if not translating to that much in real money) to big blind ratio that matches my liking.

How many big blinds deep do you usually like to start when you play Heads-up?

First off, you'd need to define what we are playing.... is it HU cashgame... or HUSng?

For HU Cash... 100bb's.
For HU SNG... doesn't matter much... but I suppose 1500 chip starting stack, turbo structure.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Considering myself predominantly a large-field MTT player, a head's-up game is about as far away from my comfort zone as one could imagine! :laugh:

Something to consider.... most of the hands we are playing in an MTT are Heads Up vs. one other player.

I remember reading this from someone quite awhile ago.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off, you'd need to define what we are playing.... is it HU cashgame... or HUSng?

For HU Cash... 100bb's.
For HU SNG... doesn't matter much... but I suppose 1500 chip starting stack, turbo structure.

I meant in general - not specifically cash nor SNG. With that said though, I usually play my HU games in a SNG setting.

p.s. I like the concept of table stakes in tournaments, but cash games are always more aggressive because players can just reload chips; it obviously impacts the strategy of play.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the (now banned) member above, scofield1985, in as much that yours is an interesting question...

The honest answer Phoenix?

I really do not know!

This is due to a lack of specifically HU games played... Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the amount of HU experience I've had thus far and reasonably so of my confidence at that stage, it's just that the games didn't start HU.. ;)

Considering myself predominantly a large-field MTT player, a head's-up game is about as far away from my comfort zone as one could imagine! :laugh: ...

:icon_flow :five:

Thanks for your honest answer, but especially the portion I quoted (I only quoted the first portion). I understand what you are saying and I tend to overthink/write more than required as well :D

Regarding the "large-field MMT" aspect, I can relate. In fact, I'd like to play more of those events - but it is certainly different from HU SNG games. I am patient enough to play tight poker, but HU is especially hand-reading dependent and exploitative play where you can play almost 100% of the hands dealt! (far from the estimate of 10% to 25% range of big MMT events). Thanks for your honest answer :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Something to consider.... most of the hands we are playing in an MTT are Heads Up vs. one other player.

I remember reading this from someone quite awhile ago.

From the flop onwards perhaps..

Definitely worth consideration! :)

Thank you for the response.

~~~~~​

Thanks for your honest answer, but especially the portion I quoted (I only quoted the first portion). I understand what you are saying and I tend to overthink/write more than required as well :D

Regarding the "large-field MMT" aspect, I can relate. In fact, I'd like to play more of those events - but it is certainly different from HU SNG games. I am patient enough to play tight poker, but HU is especially hand-reading dependent and exploitative play where you can play almost 100% of the hands dealt! (far from the estimate of 10% to 25% range of big MMT events). Thanks for your honest answer :)

There was other stuff going on elsewhere at the time... :eek:

If I get into anything heated it tends to bleed out elsewhere too.

Your quoting was perfect, thank you.

In general it's probably fine to ignore at least 80% of my nonsense..

Incurable spammer I'm afraid.

Have tried to voice the benefits of having somewhere in the forum for people like myself to express freely but alas.

'It is what it is' is the best mindset in regards to other people's choices.

You can lead a horse to water...

Regards.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the turbo or hyper turbo HU..

And about chips i dont care, its more poker involved in almost 100 bb, but i like any format of HU

linaxmama

linaxmama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't care so much how many chips are going to be, I like to play the turbo zoom

M

mrcool36

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to bet high so my opponents give up

S

Scroooob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more the better

In any tourney, whether heads up or a mtt, the more chips the better. I'd like to start with 10k or even more. Blinds 25/50. Allows for plenty of play. And I like to have a bunch of chips in front of me.