What to do?

C

conboy111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
2/5 table. UTG raises to $40 pre flop with AJ suited. I look down at QQ.

FLOP COMES
A A J

Action goes check, check.
Turn card comes 9.
Action Goes check, check.
River comes Q.

I bet $100.
Opponent then bets to $300.
I then jam ALL IN for $650 total.

Is this a bad play? Should I just call not jam? I put my opponent on JJ and wanted to get max value. Him having AQ is highly unlikely as I have both blockers. Therefore my thinking is he must HAVE JJ or AJ.

Feedback on this would be muchly appreciated as I keep running into coolers constantly and just can't seem to get away.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its always going to be hard to get away from a hand like this. But, that is not important here.

There is a lot of info that would be helpful to actually answer your question. Like, what position were you in, (assuming SB or BB from the betting order, kinda cant be anything else, but still) how many players total at the table, any info on villain, like is it normal for him to raise UTG, have you seen him trapping like this, does he raise OTR as a bluff, or do you even have any info on him?

Also, since we all now know what he had, it is harder to be objective. So, in the future, only give the info you actually had in the hand, and you didn't know his cards when you were betting, so we don't want to know either, that's the only way someone can see the hand as you did.

So, all in all, what info/reads do you have on villain, his play till now (opening in EP a lot? or with what) and so on....

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2/5 table. UTG raises to $40 pre flop with AJ suited. I look down at QQ.

FLOP COMES
A A J

Action goes check, check.
Turn card comes 9.
Action Goes check, check.
River comes Q.

I bet $100.
Opponent then bets to $300.
I then jam ALL IN for $650 total.

Is this a bad play? Should I just call not jam? I put my opponent on JJ and wanted to get max value. Him having AQ is highly unlikely as I have both blockers. Therefore my thinking is he must HAVE JJ or AJ.

Feedback on this would be muchly appreciated as I keep running into coolers constantly and just can't seem to get away.

Honestly i might end up broke there... check call might be the only way to play of you think they already made the boat... i have slowed down in this situation and stayed alive before but mostly go broke... i also am not sure there is any other option unless you are certain you are behind... i would just move on.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you 3-bet pre-flop or just call ? With QQ, you should probably re-raise, which might get him to fold AJ since it's a marginal hand UTG. Other than that, I think it would be hard to not lose your stack on the river. There are many hands in his range that you have beat, such as AK, Ax, KK, JJ, 99. Other than putting in a strong 3-bet, I'm not sure how you could have avoided this. An opponent checking the flop and turn after opening UTG could raise suspicion on that flop since he should be betting most of his opening range on that flop. Even KK is worth betting that flop since your opponent is less likely to have an A with 2 of them on the board. Still, it would be hard to suspect this since they could just be backing off with a middle pair like 77 or 88.

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like im going broke on the river queen and re shoving just as you had done. We don't have the pure nuts here . A flat call of 200$ on the river is how we lose the least on this hand.

Ran into a hand like this . had Ace hi flush and the bored paired on the river. Flags on the field. He makes small bet on the river. I placed him All in for the rest if his stack. When he snap called, I knew he had the house. I told myself I should have just flated the river and lost the minimum.

Im still making the same mistake here as you. Really hard to just flat call a small bet with such strong holdings.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like im going broke on the river queen and re shoving just as you had done. We don't have the pure nuts here . A flat call of 200$ on the river is how we lose the least on this hand.

Ran into a hand like this . had Ace hi flush and the bored paired on the river. Flags on the field. He makes small bet on the river. I placed him All in for the rest if his stack. When he snap called, I knew he had the house. I told myself I should have just flated the river and lost the minimum.

Im still making the same mistake here as you. Really hard to just flat call a small bet with such strong holdings.

Thing is, one question to ask (and since no info on villain is given, its hard to say) is will they call a shove OTR with worse? If you say no, then a flat is better.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with the indications you provided on your opponent's position and the flop. at this point I see him more on a pair served at the limit of the JJ if he is lucky and not really on an Ace, but it also depends on the information you have accumulated on that player during the previous moves. will probably decide to call to the river when I do not know my opponent.

pabloT

pabloT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to come back in ai is very bad

I fold for 300