Ups and Down of Holdem

onecardsteve

onecardsteve

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you as players look at the ups and downs of the live poker play, one day you have a winning session and next day nothing goes right

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you as players look at the ups and downs of the live poker play, one day you have a winning session and next day nothing goes right

It's tough man. But it is a long term game. You have to understand that, and embrace it. Live poker is so slow, the amount of hands you see per day, it can be especially torturous.

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to keep in mind something Jonathan Little has stated, that all the sessions are in reality just part of one longer session, and the last hand of one session might as well be the first hand of the next.

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance sucks...LOL...but with that said, I always think of a silly little line in the kids movie, Chicken Little....Today is a new day...:)

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't say variance sucks, pretty sure we have all been in the favorable side of when variance strikes to say that. It is like death, it simply is, its neither good nor bad, nor can you out run it

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live poker upswings and downswings, you are going to get more for example in live cash games due to the speed of hands and how that variant is played - MTT wise - i feel its really about the type of games you choose to play and the frequency you play them.
I remember laying down KK first hand once in a live tourney which had a decent buy in, it was made easier by the fact that i was reraised all in and there was a second caller - i would have lost too with QQ and AK showing and a Q on the turn - so i avoided a bullet here and went on to cash and finish 3rd so i look back at that as a upswing in live play and a great decision.
Poker is a game as you know that guarantees very little, we play it for many reasons, some of those reasons are because it is so difficult to master or in fact win at..it requires luck which we yearn for and seek, variance is another word for good or bad luck however you want to term it..
You get times when you are on a heater and are making good decisions and getting the rewards without being sucked out but because there is probabilities involved, every day will be different to an extent - managing your emotions and play is crucial to success.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Just cry and move on to the next hand 😔

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a series of rules I try to follow.
1. If you're running great, don't stop until you're running bad.
2. If you're running bad, don't stop until you're running great.
3. See Rule 1.

Hmmmm . . . and why is it I rarely end with cash in my pocket?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

So, this is completely normal online or live play.

In poker you have to win the most possible when you run good. Don't be "nice" to a player and not get value with your nutty hand.

And, to lose the least amount possible when you run bad. This is even harder to do sometimes because you don't know that you are running bad until your whole stack is gone....lol Sometimes there are other indicators like being card dead and players don't accept it and try to push their luck. And of course AA KK QQ call their attempts.

Good luck !

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have a series of rules I try to follow.
1. If you're running great, don't stop until you're running bad.
2. If you're running bad, don't stop until you're running great.
3. See Rule 1.

Hmmmm . . . and why is it I rarely end with cash in my pocket?

You're an idiot. :p

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules