Trips against flush, should I have found a fold?

F

Fire_Womble

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there, I was recently playing in a live cash game, 10p/10p blinds, I have about £25 behind, look down at A9 of clubs. A player opens from early position to 40p, gets three calls including myself on the button, flop comes 8h9d7h, checks around to a super agressive player with about £80 behind in middle position who raises to £2.10, I call and he gets one more caller in early position.
Turn comes 9h, early position checks and middle position player raises to £7. We both call. River comes 2c and early position player checks, middle position player shoves, I go into the tank and decide to call, putting me all in, early position player folds. He turns over Kh8h making a flush and takes the pot.

Given this players super aggressive nature and our relative stack sizes, do you think I should have found a fold here, or played this differently? Thanks very much all opinions welcome.

Last edited:
bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop is 8H9D7H9H2C end he flop flush with kH8H :)
but if thats mistake
depends do you know this super agresive player will go all in on bluff are 1 pair on river ? if you dont know that then is fold every time..
relative stack size its not that big deal becase is cash game.....end i like call on flop end turn...

Last edited:
F

Fire_Womble

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
flop is 8H9D7H9H2C end he flop flush with kH8H :)
but if thats mistake
depends do you know this super agresive player will go all in on bluff are 1 pair on river ? if you dont know that then is fold every time..
relative stack size its not that big deal becase is cash game.....end i like call on flop end turn...
Have seen him bet on all three streets with bottom pair which is why I called the river

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there, I was recently playing in a live cash game, 10p/10p blinds, I have about £25 behind, look down at A9 of clubs. A player opens from early position to 40p, gets three calls including myself on the button, flop comes 8h9d7h, checks around to a super agressive player with about £80 behind in middle position who raises to £2.10, I call and he gets one more caller in early position.
Turn comes 9h, early position checks and middle position player raises to £7. We both call.

Here, I would jam it in. I wouldn't want that third player in there drawing to straight if he had opened with (TT) or drawing to an overpair to possibly make a higher set. That flop pretty much misses everything else he could have opened with up front. Put the aggrotard to the test while you still have a redraw.

Have seen him bet on all three streets with bottom pair which is why I called the river

It is what it is, and he just happened to have something this time. The only remaining question is how did he bet with bottom pair? Three half pot bets is different from jamming. If he's betting light with light hands, then I could find a fold here. Otherwise, you can't, and playing a lagtard is going to increase your variance.

F

Fire_Womble

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here, I would jam it in. I wouldn't want that third player in there drawing to straight if he had opened with (TT) or drawing to an overpair to possibly make a higher set. That flop pretty much misses everything else he could have opened with up front. Put the aggrotard to the test while you still have a redraw.

It is what it is, and he just happened to have something this time. The only remaining question is how did he bet with bottom pair? Three half pot bets is different from jamming. If he's betting light with light hands, then I could find a fold here. Otherwise, you can't, and playing a lagtard is going to increase your variance.

Thanks for your detailed reply, Ive been kicking myself about this one for a while, I think I could have found a fold but I know discipline is something I need to work on. Thanks again for everyones replies.

T

TossUpKing

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally would've let it go but that's just me....

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is the :8h4: in his hand and the flop?

Full Flush Poker Folding in Poker